Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My experience with my evo and sti

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RR06MR
Ok guys I came prepared with my flame suit on.

I came from the world of flat 4 wrx's. I previously owned a bugeye 03 wrx (full tbe, uppipe, fmic, short ram, jic flta2 coilovers, weight reduction, tune by Dynocomp, put down 215 awhp and 210 lb ft on a DD). Drove the **** out of it for 45,000 mi and it lasted with no problems.

My last car was an 06 sti with full tbe, drop-in, and also tune by Rick @ Dynocomp, put down 280 awhp and 300 lb ft on his lower reading DD. Sold it with 15,000 mi. That car was fast. 1st thru 4th went by in a blink. One thing I liked was power delivery/response, but I didn't like the lift and push when going on throttle mid corner (in a sweeper).

I am now the proud owner of an 06 RR MR and don't regret the decision to switch to the dark side. While my tuned sti was definitely quicker the evo's steering and raw feel make it just as fun an experience. I felt the sti liked more abusive driving while the evo likes more precision and to be driven 30 mph than you think you can handle.

Both cars are awesome machines. My choice to go with the evo was due to 1. Very high cost to get big power with sti (ie rotated mount) which causes many, many issues/problems 2. The evo looks better (subjective) and 3. Yes ladies and gentleman the mags are right the evo handles a little better (tighter). oh yeah and 4. The tasty recaros and steering wheel, can't forget those. and 5. I've decided to forget about a 30 or 35R and just max out the stock turbo. My ultimate goal is ridiculous response and about 340 awhp.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with 3 great cars I've owned in the last few years.

First Off, Welcome to the Good Ship EvoM.
Second, Congrats on your Evo IX

340whp is a walk in the park for an Evo IX / Stock Turbo / Stock IX Fuel System.

I ran 13. sec flat in the 1/4 Bone Stock in my IX and now with 3" full TBE, EBC, Cone Intake, and P.R.A. tuned, she runs 12.2 @ 108.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:02 PM

Congrates
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome, and I think you will be more than satisfied with your switch. I, too, have never heard of anyone selling their Evo for an STi. My bro had a heavily modded STi that he sold because of reliability issues. He now drives an Evo IX SE and LOVES it!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much of a difference you will notice with your mods. The results are impressive. Congrats!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:49 PM

I can truly and honestly say that buying the evo was the best and worst decision I have ever made in my quarter-century on this planet.

It was the worst financial decision I've ever made. I traded in a perfectly good '06sti and went waaaay upside down to get the evo. The rationalization lasted about 4-5 seconds and went something like this: 1. Evos were getting more rare in late 06 and the RS and white MR's were pretty much all gone in AZ, better get the RRMR before they're all gone too 2. I am paying for it in all of my selfish glory so

But it was also the best personal decision (as far as possessions) I've made when it came to being happy. Since I don't make the billions yet I might as well get the best performing car I can afford, enter evolution IX. The first thing that got me hooked was the set up; factory fmic, big oil cooler, quick ratio steering rack, recaros, etc. This car was made to run. I was getting fed up with the really bad heat soak I was getting with the rexs' tmic, and the thought of going fmic and all the piping all over again (did fmic w/bugeye) didn't sound like much fun. You pretty much have to remove the stock crash beam and put in what seems like miles of piping which kills response, I know from experience.

Coming from the subie world the natural progression was to the evo. The car rags may be far from the truth, but the reviews that I have read are pretty close when comparing the sti to evo. I also really like the way the IX front end looks compared to the VIII, not to mention the 10.5 hotside and MIVEC.

I could literally go on for hours but I will spare all of you. Almost time to leave for work and have a couple of with some buds .
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

I can truly and honestly say that buying the evo was the best and worst decision I have ever made in my quarter-century on this planet.

It was the worst financial decision I've ever made. I traded in a perfectly good '06sti and went waaaay upside down to get the evo. The rationalization lasted about 4-5 seconds and went something like this: 1. Evos were getting more rare in late 06 and the RS and white MR's were pretty much all gone in AZ, better get the RRMR before they're all gone too 2. I am paying for it in all of my selfish glory so

But it was also the best personal decision (as far as possessions) I've made when it came to being happy. Since I don't make the billions yet I might as well get the best performing car I can afford, enter evolution IX. The first thing that got me hooked was the set up; factory fmic, big oil cooler, quick ratio steering rack, recaros, etc. This car was made to run. I was getting fed up with the really bad heat soak I was getting with the rexs' tmic, and the thought of going fmic and all the piping all over again (did fmic w/bugeye) didn't sound like much fun. You pretty much have to remove the stock crash beam and put in what seems like miles of piping which kills response, I know from experience.

Coming from the subie world the natural progression was to the evo. The car rags may be far from the truth, but the reviews that I have read are pretty close when comparing the sti to evo. I also really like the way the IX front end looks compared to the VIII, not to mention the 10.5 hotside and MIVEC.

I could literally go on for hours but I will spare all of you. Almost time to leave for work and have a couple of with some buds .
I pay out the *** for mine too.....but it puts a smile on my face that I think many other cars won't do.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info and maybe you could tell my friend that Evo does handle better than Sti since he really believe that sti handle better than Evo
Old Sep 7, 2007, 02:52 PM

IMO, yes, the evo handles better.

The sti was a lot more rear biased so it was very easy to get the back end to step out with steering/throttle inputs. I felt more lift and push mid corner so you had to make more adjustments to keep your line.

The evo on the other hand is more neutral and while it still had a little push, it holds its line a little better mid corner on throttle.

One thing is for certain though the evo's steering response is much tighter and quicker than the sti, even the suby guys can't argue with that. "Sloppy" may not be the right term just more play and more turns lock to lock.

Kinda like apples and oranges even though both are incredible WRC champs in their own right.

Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:38 PM

True.

BUT.

Replacing weak stock clutch on the Evo = Putting coilovers & shocks on the STi.

Then everyone lives happily ever after.