Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My experience with my evo and sti

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with my evo and sti

Ok guys I came prepared with my flame suit on.

I came from the world of flat 4 wrx's. I previously owned a bugeye 03 wrx (full tbe, uppipe, fmic, short ram, jic flta2 coilovers, weight reduction, tune by Dynocomp, put down 215 awhp and 210 lb ft on a DD). Drove the **** out of it for 45,000 mi and it lasted with no problems.

My last car was an 06 sti with full tbe, drop-in, and also tune by Rick @ Dynocomp, put down 280 awhp and 300 lb ft on his lower reading DD. Sold it with 15,000 mi. That car was fast. 1st thru 4th went by in a blink. One thing I liked was power delivery/response, but I didn't like the lift and push when going on throttle mid corner (in a sweeper).

I am now the proud owner of an 06 RR MR and don't regret the decision to switch to the dark side. While my tuned sti was definitely quicker the evo's steering and raw feel make it just as fun an experience. I felt the sti liked more abusive driving while the evo likes more precision and to be driven 30 mph than you think you can handle.

Both cars are awesome machines. My choice to go with the evo was due to 1. Very high cost to get big power with sti (ie rotated mount) which causes many, many issues/problems 2. The evo looks better (subjective) and 3. Yes ladies and gentleman the mags are right the evo handles a little better (tighter). oh yeah and 4. The tasty recaros and steering wheel, can't forget those. and 5. I've decided to forget about a 30 or 35R and just max out the stock turbo. My ultimate goal is ridiculous response and about 340 awhp.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with 3 great cars I've owned in the last few years.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

good choice
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
welcome to the evo world glad that you like it and 340 shouldnt be very hard to reach
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
340 awhp is no problem with the IX's. You can get that with pretty minimal mods. The STI "feels" fast due to the smaller turbo and extra .5 liters. It has more down low torque. You will go low 12's easy with 340 awhp. It takes alot to get to that on pre 07 STI's due to transmission gearing.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:10 AM

I was hoping to do it with a full tbe, LICP, whatever intake is compaitble with the fmic, walbro, BC, and maybe some cams, and of course a reflash. I have read people making very good numbers with these mods.

Is a Boost Controller absolutely necessary? With the subies you didn't really need a bc because the ecutek pretty much took care of it.

Is there anything else that I can add for a more responsive throttle? I don't necessarily want anymore power mods, just ones to make the car a monster in the tight corners.

After I do the mods above I also really want to do a full port and polish of everything I can....afford.

Thanks guys, the subie guys are generally ****** and say to search everything. I know a little about evo's since I love rally and awd/turbo cars in general.

I am going to keep my IX until the wheels fall off, I have no choice because I am so upside down but do not regret it for one second.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Bro, with a IX you can get 340 with as little as an exhaust, intake, boost controller, and flash.. Not even necessarily cams.. I've seen it.. But if you plan to port and polish in the future, don't waste the time in doing these things.. Just get your parts, save up, and do it all at once.. I too used to have a bugeye rex.. It was a great car, and I drove the schit out of it.. But it is nothing compared to the EVO.. Day and night.. Congrats on your purchase, you'll love it more everytime you get into it.. I know I do..
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a flash that controls the stock bcs but really it involves considerable time and tuning to work properly and can't be easily changed afterwards. A mbc works very well with a Evo and allows you to lower your boost for long track sessions or raise it if your running race gas. When you get your mods that you have listed and get tuned I think your going to be a very very happy owner.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats to you man
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:40 AM

Thanks to all for the responses.

I've seen a lot of big HP evo's running a simple mbc with a flash, sounds good enough for me as I don't have enough $$$ for a stand alone.

Yeah, the sti "felt" really fast because of the extra displacement and smaller turbo.

It might sound stupid but I think the MIVEC really helps the bigger turbo almost as fast as the VF39 in my old car, except now I have a much bigger stock turbo to open up and have fun with. Lag with the 16g is way overrated.

The very fact that the car comes with a fmic and a large fm-oil cooler had me sold once I got over my stubborness and preference for subies. I will always love sti's (04-07) but really dislike the new hatch style. I think the IX is the best looking evo since the VI and VII.

It's good to hear the awesome numbers people are putting down with minimal mods/minimal stress on the stock block.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Good choice on switching. I also came to the Evo family after having an 05 OBP Sti.
I don't ever see any Evo owners trading in their Evo for an Sti. It's always the other way around. I mean with simple bolt on's and a good tune you can get great power out of the Evo. and it really feel's like the car has finally woken up.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

good choice dude... i got friends with modded wrx's and theyre always playing catch up with my stock evo
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

welcome man! i was always a big subie fan but i never owned one... thought about getting an 04/05 sti but i'm super glad i got an evo. ur comments pretty much line up with everything i've heard.

from what i've heard the IX is crazy responsive to light mods, mainly due to mivec. some local MA guys that own a tuning garage told me TBE, cams + tune will make 320/330 awhp on their dyno which reads pretty low. not sure about mbc vs electronic bc, im still pretty new to evo/turbo. i still havent modded my ix se yet... but eventually i will. good luck man!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:27 AM

In hindsight (financially) I wished I would have gotten the mr instead of the sti first. But at the same time it makes me that much more grateful now that I know how the evo is.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either, both have great performance. The evo is just more of a pure drivers machine in every sense in my opinion. I am not all about huge power, even thought the evo is very capable of it.

My goal is a very responsive, streetable, and quick car, not a 500awhp highway monster. While the evo is more than capable of being a hp monster, I want to exploit its handling, precision, and dominance puttin around town.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice to have you on the dark side man! lol

340 to the wheels isn't very hard to reach at all. Just check out my sig...$1500 invested. With intake and cams I'll be close to 370 at the wheels.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

dam...i like you choices, between me and my brother we too have owned both an evo(me) and a wrx and an sti(bro)