Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help...car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to say fuel pump... but he said fuel is comming out... You did a boost least test.... Maybe something wrong with throttle body? Im stumped.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Well guys, thanks for all the input, but it seems you are all as stumped as I am. Trust me, I checked everything I could and then re-checked simply because I couldn't believe my car just died without warning. I even had 3 friends of mine come over to check things out and each one ended up scratching their head in confusion. Like I said, the car cranks like no tomorrow but it absolutely will not fire...it's to the point it doesn't even stutter a little. Yes, I am running the Walbro 255. I've had it in the car for about 3 months now and it always made a little whine noise, but not loud enough that it could be heard from outside the car. To check for fuel, I pulled the fuel line from the fuel rail and cranked it over twice...it soaked the two paper towels I had the line wrapped in, so I'm pretty sure fuel is there. At this point I'm thinking the crank position sensor has gone out, I guess I was just lucky enough to have it go out while I was driving.

I spent the entire night putting every oem part back on my car. Every power mod listed in my sig has now been removed. This is the first time I'll be attempting warranty work, so I tried to give myself the best chance of not getting denied. The only thing that has me worried is the ecu reflash. Anyway, I'll let everyone know how it goes and what the hell is wrong with my evo.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterNater
Well, that's the problem...I have a 5yr warranty on the car, but I don't know if they will find the reflash and void the warranty. This will be the first time taking my car in for warranty work...we shall see, I'm out of options.
The only reason I say not to go there is I had problems with my car and they couldn't fix it, they made up a bunch of different lies and senario's and tried to feed them to me. I took my car to TurboTrix and they fixed it in a day. They techs at the dealer are clueless... At least by me they are.
Good Luck
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you cranked the car over with the fuel line disconnected it should have sprayed a lot of fuel. Also, when you disconnected the fuel line there should have been a significant amount of residual pressure in the line causing fuel to spray everywhere. Sounds like a fuel pump issue unless there are other details you haven't shared regarding disconnecting the fuel lines (i.e. relieving pressure by cranking with fuel pump unplugged).

-Paul
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

CHeck ur engine fuse under the hood has picture of engine think is a 20 amp......If not that sounds lie a pipe some where...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go to bigger's mitsu in south elgin - could be far for you but worth it. Avoid schaumburg. I've seen some sales people looking at evom posts when i did my free oil change way back than at the dealer you are going to.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Sep 6, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well, after talking to a couple guys I work with, they say it could be a fuel pump issue also. That still has been a thought in the back of my head, that maybe the pump is still working but isn't producing sufficient pressure.

Originally Posted by PVOD4
If you cranked the car over with the fuel line disconnected it should have sprayed a lot of fuel. Also, when you disconnected the fuel line there should have been a significant amount of residual pressure in the line causing fuel to spray everywhere. Sounds like a fuel pump issue unless there are other details you haven't shared regarding disconnecting the fuel lines (i.e. relieving pressure by cranking with fuel pump unplugged).

-Paul
Thanks for bringing that up, because when I took the fuel line off of the rail, it released a very small amount of pressure and I didn't get any fuel coming out. Some came out when I cranked it, but I was still a little suspicious. I saved my oem fuel pump when I switched to the Walbro. I'll switch back to the oem one tonight when I get off of work and I pray to god it fires up....anything to avoid warranty work.

Thanks Guys
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: CRISIS AVERTED

Well, it turns out it was the damn Walbro after all. I can't believe the thing just died on me without warning while I was driving Initially, I had pulled the fuel line and cranked the engine over and plenty of fuel came out, but the pump must not have been providing enough pressure. I can't believe how much faster I swapped the pumps compared to the first time I did it....it took me about 30 minutes this time.

Thanks PVD04 for giving me the ambition to give the fuel pump another check. And thanks to everyone else that took the time to respond and give me suggestions. Now I just need another upgraded pump...question is should I trust the Walbro again?