Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

California Evos Slower??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So then the "California Emissions" many cars have do not apply to the EVO then? We are sure about this?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Someone here asked what are the differences between the Jap/Euro Evos vs. US. Sorry but I would kindly like to butt in the discussion.

Ever wondered why the US only got the 2003 Evo 8 and never got the older specs? Aside from the Jap Evos being lighter, more aggressive, more computerized with AYC/ACD and loaded, they are tuned for higher octane ratings. When I got my first Evo which was my 6, I was told to only use Petron Blaze, a pump fuel here which uses 96 octane. Well our normal gas here is 95 octane, I was told not to go below 95. I tried 95 before and the car seemed heavy to drive. Yes a 1 octane made a difference.

Jap Evos also do not have the safety requirements for US laws, thats why they ar much lighter. the absence of a crash beam, airbags, etc make another point. The power to weight ratio of the Jap/Euro Evos are way different from the US. Lighter wieght, more power. That is why the 2003 Evo VIII was the first to hit the US at only 271bhp.\ coz of the stringent US laws.

Another thing is power. Yes the Jap and Euro Evos are said to be rated over 300bhp especially the 2004 Evo VIII MR and the Evo IX. I drove an Evo IX RS2 (Euro spec) the one we are getting here complete w/ SAYC/ACD and no doubt it does outperform a US Evo IX MR stock vs stock.

Our Mitsubishi dealerships used to sell both the Euro spec Evo IX RS2 and US Evo IX MR, but due to advices from performance shops and car enthusiasts, the Euro spec IX RS2 was the better choice and Mitsubishi simply stopped selling the US model since no one wants to buy it. Well I witnessed two US Evo IX MR run at BRC and it was not able to catch up with the pack of Evo 5s to IX RS2s and Subbies. YES you heard that correctly, even the old gen Evo 5 kicked the living hell out of those new gen Evo IX MRs.

Just put it this way. In this Evo world, it is the US models that are quite out of the standard. The absence of SAYC, heavier than normal, looks, etc. It is more of an average road car with 276bhp on tap than those aggressive fully equiped uncomfortable and raw Evos other countries get.

IF you think I am wrong, you may read up at www.lancer-evo.net and you will be able to compare the specs.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to buy an evo from Cal. Then I remember what this thread is talking about, and I know that other Mitsubishis there are fed models, and cal models. BUT, THANKFULLY, Evos are 50 state, meaning all the same. I'm a Mitsu tech at a dealer, and looked it up in stuff we have.

Other mitsus have things like different cats, different ecus, and different radiator. The radiator is coated with the same stuff that's in a cat. So that air that passes through the radiator is cleaner comming out. Crazy, huh.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce4u
this is true,but at the tuning shop here the us vs european,and because of the ayc the car is putting down on the dyno less hp than the us version.
Well it depends on which Euro-spec Evo you have. The base ones are actually quite de-tuned (more so than U.S. models), though the RalliArt FQ series has different power offerings, as we all know. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think the standard RalliArt Evo is the FQ-280, so the basic Evo is probably less powerful than that.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Well it depends on which Euro-spec Evo you have. The base ones are actually quite de-tuned (more so than U.S. models), though the RalliArt FQ series has different power offerings, as we all know. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think the standard RalliArt Evo is the FQ-280, so the basic Evo is probably less powerful than that.
The Euro Evos has basically the same specs as the Japan ones, except the Japan models got speed limiters. They are not detuned. SAYC is not built for drag and hard launches, so as the Evo itself. The models in Japan are the GSR, GT and RS. For some with the IX MR, you have the MR RS (watered down MR with only a 5-speed tranny) and the MR GSR (same as a typical GSR). The only difference basically between the JDM and Euro models are the trims. But in terms of specs, they are practically the same (with the exception of the UK models), and for some Euro countries that are LHD with the addition of a special "GSR" in the name of an "RS2" trim.

Remember, when you talk about the FQ models, you are only talking about the UK versions, and they are not the same as the ones in the rest of Europe. We get the RS2 version here, the same model used in Italy which is original LHD. The RS2 is a GSR in its LHD form but utilizing 5-speed transmission. It still has SAYC/ACD, and by golly those systems does work. In UK, there is also an Evo 260 model. It is not a basic model FYI coz the 260 is not sold anywhere else but in UK.

Remember, an Evo is not built just to go straight. It is not a drag car, it is a total performance car.

The watered down cars in Europe are the Subaru STis vs the US STi.

With regards to California, I do not think there is a "California" version. What California gets is what the rest of the US gets. The only thing with California is that you cannot modify your car up to 500whp and use it as a daily driver, unless you are willing to risk yourslf getting pulled over by a cop. Now that sucks!

Last edited by rawandbruteEVO; Sep 7, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rawandbruteEvo is right, they're freakin' brutal out there.

Last edited by FloopyDisk; Sep 7, 2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Yeah. Good point about the difference between the Euro-spec Evos and UK-spec. I forgot about that.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:52 AM

Fort Lee, NJ here.
There is a Sunoco on RT.46 that serves 100octance race gas
makes me car stall sometimes. Expensive as hell too.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:04 PM

they should be slow. They dont have 93oct. and have emission regulations/tests....everyone knows that catless exhausts gain more horsepower.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -adrenaline-
they should be slow. They dont have 93oct. and have emission regulations/tests....everyone knows that catless exhausts gain more horsepower.
Well stock vs. stock, the California sold Evo is exactly the same as the rest what the US gets. I mean Mitsubishi in Japan would not produce a special Evo just for California only.

AFAIK, California has 93 OCtane. I think this is the highest pump gas they get. Does the same go out for the rest of the US too? But in terms of specs of the cars, there are really no differences.

Damn 91 - 93 octane is soooooo low! I mean here we Evo owners are told not to go below 96 octane. Should we load 95, it should be like a few liters only. Our lowest octane level here is 93 and it is a no-no for these AWD beasts.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
Account Disabled

The highest octane pump fuel we get in California is 91 octane.

Last edited by Vigo; Sep 7, 2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
Well stock vs. stock, the California sold Evo is exactly the same as the rest what the US gets. I mean Mitsubishi in Japan would not produce a special Evo just for California only.

AFAIK, California has 93 OCtane. I think this is the highest pump gas they get. Does the same go out for the rest of the US too? But in terms of specs of the cars, there are really no differences.

Damn 91 - 93 octane is soooooo low! I mean here we Evo owners are told not to go below 96 octane. Should we load 95, it should be like a few liters only. Our lowest octane level here is 93 and it is a no-no for these AWD beasts.
So do you want a cookie with you high octane level.....actually we access to higher octane, some call it race fuel.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

96 oct!?!? i'm raisin mine from now on, no more 92 mix!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rice King
96 oct!?!? i'm raisin mine from now on, no more 92 mix!
96 Octane is our highest on the pumps. Lowest is 93. When you buy an Evo here, they tell you always to go 96 octane and never lower. Even our Shell V-Power is 95 octane rating and is not as recommended as 96.

Anyhow, remember that the spec of our Evos here are built for 95 octane higher. Some of our Evo 8s here though are US versions, that is why owners can gas it up with the typical 93, but they still go 96.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
The highest octane we get in California is 91 octane.
darn, thats crazy.

Quick Reply: California Evos Slower??