Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rats in the AC Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rats in the AC Blower Motor

I was changing my oil today and heard what I thought was a bird under the hood. After about 30 minutes of searching I tracked the squeeking down to behind the glove box. I attempted to drop the blower motor down but found this to be a complete waste of time since Japanese engineers can't seem to "engineer" screws you can get to. The back screw to drop the motor is directly up against the firewall; makes it impossible to unscrew with any length screw driver. Anyway, what I had to do is cut the plastic screen above the motor out and put my hand into the blower (i have a 2003 without the cabin air filter). I pulled out a handfull of insulation and a BABY RAT!! It was smaller than my little finger; eyes still closed, no hair, and the umbilical cord still attached. After some digging i found two more all just laying in a bed of insulation in the middle of the blower. There were no signs of the momma rat so I need some advice on how to make sure that thing gets out of my car before it has a buffet of wiring. Anyone gotten rid of rats or mice in their car?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Its a very common problem. I used to work for a dealership and changed cabin filters and there was almost always rat **** in the filters and rats as well. You might need to actually have a exterminator come out.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE!! So I put some rat bait out in my garage and left the three babies sitting on a pile of insulation. A few minutes ago my wife walked into the garage and saw the rat run under my workbench. All the babies are gone off their bed so hopefully that means momma rat got them and she is not in my car. Or it could mean a snake got them and the rat is still in the car. Hopefully it's gone.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or it means you could have a huge rat problem in your house in a few months, nice work!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
cool story
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you leave the rats out? lol... you just made your problem much worse
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3volut1on
Or it means you could have a huge rat problem in your house in a few months, nice work!
HAHAHAHAH, not trying to be an *******... but that is funny!!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:15 AM
Account Disabled

good luck with that....I'll keep an eye out for rats in my ride now.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I love rat stories. Always something new and with a twist.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

my domestic buddies would love to hear this one. i can hear it now, remember pearl harbor now their shipping the cars over with rats in them. hahahahaha
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

ROFL, thats awesome.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

crap..now i know why i keep finding little torn up pieces of paper falling from behind my glove box...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Use Mothballs placed throughout...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

A couple of friends had rats living in their vans. Turns out they were out camping and that's where they came into their Vans. They had left the windows down and occasionally left the doors open.
They pulled out pieces of nest material out, that came from their garage. Therefore after the trip, where these critters were had moved to their garage, where they made their home in the van. Also they pick up pieces of tissues to make a bed.
The conclusion is the always keep windows up and doors closed/lock . Another story was when we had the Cedar fire here the rats came down from the hills tag a ride from my work site to my home. One day I noticed a thing hanging below the front end. To my surprise it was a dead wicket black rat. I immediately toke it out and double bagged and trash it.
But I always keep the doors and window close and make sure I trapped all rats in and out of my home.
Originally Posted by s2krn
I was changing my oil today and heard what I thought was a bird under the hood. After about 30 minutes of searching I tracked the squeeking down to behind the glove box. I attempted to drop the blower motor down but found this to be a complete waste of time since Japanese engineers can't seem to "engineer" screws you can get to. The back screw to drop the motor is directly up against the firewall; makes it impossible to unscrew with any length screw driver. Anyway, what I had to do is cut the plastic screen above the motor out and put my hand into the blower (i have a 2003 without the cabin air filter). I pulled out a handfull of insulation and a BABY RAT!! It was smaller than my little finger; eyes still closed, no hair, and the umbilical cord still attached. After some digging i found two more all just laying in a bed of insulation in the middle of the blower. There were no signs of the momma rat so I need some advice on how to make sure that thing gets out of my car before it has a buffet of wiring. Anyone gotten rid of rats or mice in their car?

Last edited by TRUE-GRIT; Sep 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not worried about 3 more rats. I live in on 4 acres in the middle of the woods. 3 more rats is of little concern; just a drop in the bucket. There was only one I was worried about... the one that was in my car. As long as that one is gone I'm OK. I've got some rat bait around the garage and my dogs occasionally catch one. Getting rid of rats around my house would be like getting rid of Asians in Japan!

Quick Reply: Rats in the AC Blower Motor