Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Won't Start

Hello, I got a little problem here...

I have a '06 IX, no engine mods at all with about 30k miles on the clock. Its got a full tank, spark plugs changed 10k miles ago, still on the stock battery.

The past 3 days I noticed when I would start the car from being cold, it would struggle to turn on. As the car warmed up and I had to shut it off then start it up again it wouldn't struggle...it would just fire up like a champ.

As the days went on it would get a little worse. Today when I was going to head off to work, the car didn't start at all. It doesn't even turn, all it does when you attempt to start it is a whining sound...just long and high-pitched like sound.

I check all the connections I could see from just opening the hood and everything is fine, as far as I can tell.
A tow is covered on my warranty and a stealership is just 3 or 4 miles away. Right now I'm just waiting for the tow truck so I can take it over there.

Any Ideas on what it could be?? Or what else I might be able to check??

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let them worry could be many things. Get a rental. :d
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Bet it could be the battery. 30K may need a new one. If it got started from a 'Jump', it's probably the battery.
Hey dude, if it is a battery, could you post what they prorate for you and if any cost? I found out later from my previous cars, they would have given me a new battery. Good luck!
Originally Posted by distant_02
Hello, I got a little problem here...

I have a '06 IX, no engine mods at all with about 30k miles on the clock. Its got a full tank, spark plugs changed 10k miles ago, still on the stock battery.

The past 3 days I noticed when I would start the car from being cold, it would struggle to turn on. As the car warmed up and I had to shut it off then start it up again it wouldn't struggle...it would just fire up like a champ.

As the days went on it would get a little worse. Today when I was going to head off to work, the car didn't start at all. It doesn't even turn, all it does when you attempt to start it is a whining sound...just long and high-pitched like sound.

I check all the connections I could see from just opening the hood and everything is fine, as far as I can tell.
A tow is covered on my warranty and a stealership is just 3 or 4 miles away. Right now I'm just waiting for the tow truck so I can take it over there.

Any Ideas on what it could be?? Or what else I might be able to check??

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05' Im on 53k and still stock battery keep us posted.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TRUE-GRIT
Bet it could be the battery. 30K may need a new one. If it got started from a 'Jump', it's probably the battery.
Hey dude, if it is a battery, could you post what they prorate for you and if any cost? I found out later from my previous cars, they would have given me a new battery. Good luck!
Sure, I hope its something simple like the battery.....which reminds me, I should have brought over my dad's battery tester.....

30k is the life of the Evo's battery? I thought it would last longer...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Life of battery depends on maintenance on them. My Infiniti last only 35K, Mech's say that's normal. But stupid of me, I jumped and traded my Dealer battery for a off the shelf one. I'd like the dealer battery cause you could see the water level and they give good prorate.
Originally Posted by distant_02
Sure, I hope its something simple like the battery.....which reminds me, I should have brought over my dad's battery tester.....

30k is the life of the Evo's battery? I thought it would last longer...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just picked up the car from the stealership. It was just the battery the completely failed. They replaced it at no charge and claimed it was covered by warranty, which I find hard to believe. I'm just happy I didn't have to pay for it!

Prorated charge would have been 50% of a new battery cost (+/- $120).
Old Sep 6, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by bluebyu36; Sep 6, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... congrats on something that i doubt I will ever get. good though
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

ya i did not get that neither...