Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just heard back from Mitsubishi about my car...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just heard back from Mitsubishi about my car...

Here was my problem: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=292793

I was having a muddy issue with the shifter, pulling it out of 5th and reverse. With no visible problems, I was thinking it may be internal.

Mitsubishi calls me up and says, we can not figure out what is wrong with your car. They said we have never had an issue like this come in before but were able to experience what you were talking about.

So I said, 'is this an internal transmission problem?'

He said, 'I am not really sure what it is. We are going to have our service rep come down from Kansas City, and he wants to look at the car and drive it himself, because you have aftermarket componets such as the aftermarket clutch & exhaust. (The only two things I took the car in with.)

So I asked, 'Well, is this guy cool or is he strict?'

They said he was very easy to get along with but will have to look at the car himself.

So I guess im going to go pick up the car now & schedule a time to meet up with him to drive it next week. What do you guys think?

-------------------------UPDATE--------------------------

I talked to one of the main guys there. He said that he & the tech thought it was the shifter cables. Apparently the service rep does some sort of rallying with evos or something of that nature according to the service guy I talked too. So I asked him, should I just go ahead & put the stock exhaust back on, will that make a difference?

He said, 'Its not even worth the time. He will probably just look right past that. His only concern would be the aftermarket clutch you have and the adjustable blow off valve.'

I said, 'blow off valve? That is a Forge diverter. It adds no hp, just holds boost a little better, lol'.

He said, 'Yeah thats all he will probably care about. I will try to talk him into letting us do it because its just money in our pockets!'

We said our goodbyes and I began walking away, but thought I would ask him again about the exhaust.

So I walked back up and said, 'So you think I should just keep the exhaust on? I mean, it will only take a couple hours to put the stocker back on'...

He says, 'No its fine, the exhaust is not even a big deal. Its not worth the effort'.

-----

So thats that. Hopefully something gets figured out because I dont have alot of $ to throw at that transmission at all...

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Sep 6, 2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
What the problem is, no idea. It sounds like they are calling in a guy so he can look at it and deny the warranty work...I'm surprised they haven't already with the aftermarket clutch. Good luck though, I hope it all works out for you.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Highly doubt it will be covered under warranty. They have denied claims with the stock clutch, calling abuse.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

if you have the stock exhaust, i would at least put that back on there. I mean, clutches wear out; you should be able to get past that one. Since the car is going on 5 years old.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

if its tranny problem...u would prolly save money by puttin the stock clutch and exhaust back on and then take it in
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
exhaust! lol, what exhaust has to do with a warranty. bunch of dorks, who is service rep, mechanic? They dont know JAck **** about evo's and how to fix them, they know how to deny your warranty, or charge you **** load of $
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Post updated.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:00 PM

All you have to do is get a lawyer to write up a letter threatening to sue. Most people will just walk away once they are denied warranty so the manufacturer doesn't care. But if they think you are going to go further and actually fight them they usually will fix the issue. Most cases it is cheaper for them to fix the car versus the cost of laywers. They have to prove that the aftermarket part directly effected the broken part. Very diffucult to actually prove one caused the other. The letter will cost about $100. I had to do this with another manufactuer after the regional service denied my warranty. Though I didn't even have the letter wrote, I just had my lawyer call the rep and get his info and to "let him know" what we were going to do. The guy called me later that day saying they would replace the engine for free but not under warranty. Do not know if they have to report warranty claims and didn't want to show a defect but a new engine for no cost = warranty to me. I personally think they new of the issue because they changed the part that caused it the next model year and if they went to court it would be considered a recall. They probably did some cost analization and figured that only a certain percentage of cars would have the same failure before warranty ran out.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Im thinking about putting my stock downpipe/cat back on so it doesnt look so bad. A cat-back after all doesnt give us any power. Maybe I should just do the entire deal. I need to also borrow a stock diverter from a local here just in case too.

Or do you think its too late?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 03:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EMC2
All you have to do is get a lawyer to write up a letter threatening to sue. Most people will just walk away once they are denied warranty so the manufacturer doesn't care. But if they think you are going to go further and actually fight them they usually will fix the issue. Most cases it is cheaper for them to fix the car versus the cost of laywers. They have to prove that the aftermarket part directly effected the broken part. Very diffucult to actually prove one caused the other. The letter will cost about $100. I had to do this with another manufactuer after the regional service denied my warranty. Though I didn't even have the letter wrote, I just had my lawyer call the rep and get his info and to "let him know" what we were going to do. The guy called me later that day saying they would replace the engine for free but not under warranty. Do not know if they have to report warranty claims and didn't want to show a defect but a new engine for no cost = warranty to me. I personally think they new of the issue because they changed the part that caused it the next model year and if they went to court it would be considered a recall. They probably did some cost analization and figured that only a certain percentage of cars would have the same failure before warranty ran out.
Think you have to go through with the arbitration process first, which will probably turn out the same.
BH
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have spoken with three huge UK tuners (RC, Norris & Tractive Solutions) about the same problem. None of the have ever experienced it. One guy told me the next time it does it to unhook a shifter cable (underhood & then at the shifter) one at a time and see if it still does it. He also said to try and move the shifter levers on the gearbox w/o the cables attached. Trying it each way will be time consuming but should isolate if its either the shifter, cables or gearbox.
You and I are just unlucky. Please post what they find!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
I have spoken with three huge UK tuners (RC, Norris & Tractive Solutions) about the same problem. None of the have ever experienced it. One guy told me the next time it does it to unhook a shifter cable (underhood & then at the shifter) one at a time and see if it still does it. He also said to try and move the shifter levers on the gearbox w/o the cables attached. Trying it each way will be time consuming but should isolate if its either the shifter, cables or gearbox.
You and I are just unlucky. Please post what they find!
Hmm.. I tried this actually the other day but cant remember what happened at all. I removed the cable from the tranny but dont remember what happened. Guess ill try it again tomorrow.

I honestly dont know why Mitsu just doesnt replace the one cable & see if that fixes it? I mean, why wait 2 weeks just to have 1 guy drive the car. This is very inconvienent for me.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well today after work I went out to perform a few tests. After disconnecting the shifter cable from the linkage, I have found that once you put the car in 5th while moving the linkage by hand... when you try to pull it out of gear...it deffinetely is the tranny causing the mud problem. It literally locks up the linkage where you cant move it by hand. I had to put the cable back on, get back in the car and shake the shifter around to get it to back to normal & out of the mud.

So this flat out sucks. I contacted Shep and he says it may go away after a while & work itself out. So $1000 for my new clutch, $1000 rebuild, $400 labor + $200 extras like fluid, throw out bearing etc. Damn. (Thats if mitsu wouldnt do it.)

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Sep 7, 2007 at 03:58 PM.