Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Defi Super Sports Cluster

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi Super Sports Cluster

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any idea how hard it would be to get it to work with the Evo's electrics? Can the Evo even go without the stock dash cluster?

More info at Gruppe-S's site: http://www.gruppe-s.com/Defi/defielec.htm
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

a bit overkill unless you're running your car in the Le Mans or something. . .if I had $2k just sitting around (mind you installation will cost easy $1k with all the splicing and trial error involved). . .I'd invest in go go items or a nice CF lip. . .
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

that thing is naughty
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:01 PM

that this looks confusing!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks kinda cool but a bit too much i think. ill stick with my amber defi gauges and multimeter.......LOOL
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

you guys are saying it's alot of money but look at that it has all those gauge feature on it ex. boost, oil temp, oil pressure...etc it's not too bad but i wonder how hard the wiring will be. If you think it's still alot think about how much defi bf series cost...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just placed my order.

I wish!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:27 PM

Yeh that thing looks just confusing, but if your time attack or racing it then it might be more useful than in a DD.... To much money for just giving out information and nothing else.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:23 AM
Account Disabled

I've used it before, it's not that hard to wire if you know what you're doing and you have a factory wiring diagram.

As for the display being confusing... it's totally a breeze, you spend an hour setting up your personal displays, and you can have as little or as much displaying as you wish. Once you have your personal displays, you can then cycle through them. we had a button on the steering wheel that would cycle through the different displays.

I don't remember if there is an audible alarm feature.... but it does have programable outputs so if a sensor goes out of range you can trip a warning light (or a shift light) I believe this has data-logging capabilities as well. It also has a feature which I loved... and that was you can blank out the display, but if a measured sensor goes out of range (over temp, under pressure, yadda yadda yadda) The sensor in question will be large on the display and flash.

The reason I liked this is because in real high end race cars, you don't have gauges... because the driver should be focusing on driving. He needs one gauge... the tach. Even on low end race cars all you use is an idiot light, because if something is wrong, you shut down, you don't diagnose at speed. So you can have everything you need measured in one place, and blank it all out unless something goes wrong

When I have gauges like oil pressure and oil temperature, I spin them so the max (or min) reading is straight up. I then put green tape on the side that shows everything is good. If I get a call like "How are your gauges" I can glance for a fraction of a second at the gauges, and call back "All up" meaning all the needles are straight up, or "good"

When driving your car at 7/10ths or above, your eyes should be on the road at all times... glance at your gauges, don't read them.

Now, that being said.... In my Evo I have 60mm DEFI oil pressure, temp, and boost gauges on my dash... why? because it makes other Evo owners jealous... which is the only reason I would buy this dash for a street car.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

holy gauges batman. Wow, I'd feel like I was driving a plane on the road!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

yea looks like something you would put in a Sprint car....
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:33 AM

My opinion....it's the most blinga cluster out there
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy
I've used it before, it's not that hard to wire if you know what you're doing and you have a factory wiring diagram.

As for the display being confusing... it's totally a breeze, you spend an hour setting up your personal displays, and you can have as little or as much displaying as you wish. Once you have your personal displays, you can then cycle through them. we had a button on the steering wheel that would cycle through the different displays.

I don't remember if there is an audible alarm feature.... but it does have programable outputs so if a sensor goes out of range you can trip a warning light (or a shift light) I believe this has data-logging capabilities as well. It also has a feature which I loved... and that was you can blank out the display, but if a measured sensor goes out of range (over temp, under pressure, yadda yadda yadda) The sensor in question will be large on the display and flash.

The reason I liked this is because in real high end race cars, you don't have gauges... because the driver should be focusing on driving. He needs one gauge... the tach. Even on low end race cars all you use is an idiot light, because if something is wrong, you shut down, you don't diagnose at speed. So you can have everything you need measured in one place, and blank it all out unless something goes wrong

When I have gauges like oil pressure and oil temperature, I spin them so the max (or min) reading is straight up. I then put green tape on the side that shows everything is good. If I get a call like "How are your gauges" I can glance for a fraction of a second at the gauges, and call back "All up" meaning all the needles are straight up, or "good"

When driving your car at 7/10ths or above, your eyes should be on the road at all times... glance at your gauges, don't read them.

Now, that being said.... In my Evo I have 60mm DEFI oil pressure, temp, and boost gauges on my dash... why? because it makes other Evo owners jealous... which is the only reason I would buy this dash for a street car.
Thanks! This is the sort of response to my queery I was looking for.