Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Ultimate Pro's/Cons comparison- EVO vs STi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ultimate Pro's/Cons comparison- EVO vs STi

I wanted to take a poll on what the major defining factors were in taking the EVO over STi for those that have an evo or are planning to get one soon. Remember everone has their own oppinions so be as dogmatic as possible.

STI:

PRO'S: more power, and nicer interior

CONS: unprooven engine, less handling capabilities, hood scoop that could hide the millenium falcon, hideous rear wing, tacky seats, no stereo and lame ground effects.

EVO:

PRO'S: prooven engine, go-kart like handling, front mounted intercooler, carbon fiber wing, recaro's, and over all style.

CONS: less power, interior materials
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on an STi or EVO this week.

The EVO is a little cheaper, esp if you factor in the radio.

EVO has avail sunroof (which I want) but not STi.

The STi is a little more exclusive, except it looks like a "regular" WRX so it may not seem like it.

EVO brakes seem better per test results, haven't driven either car myself yet.

Reliability/Quality control. This has been discussed to some extent, but in general I think Subaru may have a better reputation/track record with regard to reliability. Neither is on par with Honda or Toyota, but still pretty good I think.

I think the EVO motor is proven. I hope the tranny and rest of the drivetrain (clutch?) are also strong. I think peripheral stuff like paint and rattles may come into play, but I can probably live with it as long as the thing runs well. =)

Thoughts?

FB
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:37 AM
Account Disabled

If it was me, I'd go with the Evo here's my reasons:

STI: Looks cheap from the exterior the TMIC takes away the aggressive look that the STI could of had and because of that the Hood scoop is EXTREMELY large. As for the interior I haven't really seen one inside so I can't say I know whats good and whats bad. I think the biggest thing for me is the unproven 2.5L engine, when you come out with a new engine it's usually a few years before all the problems are smoothed out. If I were to buy an STI it wouldn't be until 2005. I also think the STI is over-priced....$46,000 CDN before taxes, after taxes and everything thats like $52,000. Way too much!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Evo...less $$$ for the same performance, and you get tunes...
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

I am not sure how people quantify the "cheap interior" assessment. I have sat in the STI a number of times (and specifically looked for what was better than the Evo) and I can't say I see much difference in terms of quality. Neither vehicle sports Connely leather or burled walnut inlays. They both have plastics and rubber in the interior and both are relatively spartan. I guess I consider a cheap interior to be something along the lines of a late model F-body (Camaro, Firebird, T/A). On my Camaro, there were hard plastic panels that were completely hollow behind them. They were ill-fitting and noisy. I guess the Evo and the STI interiors are so far and away better than my former car that I can't really see how they differ.

I just got to test drive a STI. I have some rambling observations in another thread for anyone who is interested.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Evo drivetrain is reliable and bulletproof. Just ask many of the European members on here about it.