Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fried my electrical system! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried my electrical system! Help!!!

So my original battery only lasted 1.5 years and 19,000 miles. It tested low last week at my dealership and started acting up yesterday. Today it took a crap and completely died. I jumped it and took it to the Mitsu dealership but they were closing and said to come back in the morning. I had a date tonight so went to pick up the girl and had dinner... when we came out the battery was completely dead. Of course I didn't have jumper cables so I asked this guy in a Tacoma for a jump. He was nice enough to help but here is what happened....

He hooked up his end to his truck and I connected the other end to my car. Well he must have hooked up positive to neg and vise versa... As soon as I connected the positive it started sparking like crazy, smoking and shooting out fluid. The wires stayed connected for about 5 seconds and I disconnected! The lines were HOT. I reconnected everything properly while he apologized repeatedly. When my car finally started it revved up to 3,000 rpm for a couple seconds on its own...
The list of my symptoms now:
-My defi boost gauge won't light up (defi controller works!)
-Interior lights dont work
-My headlights go on and off, high beams go on and off, hid's switch on n off, turn signals seem to have an affect on headlights
-A/C fan seems weak
-Radio is w/out power
-A/C lights flicker

I'm worried now that something is seriously damaged. I need to jump it in the morning and take it to Mitsu for the new battery... What are they going to find. Thanks for reading... I NEED ADVISE ASAP.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:50 PM

Depending on how you wired your defi gauge in, if it's wired to the interior lights, it could just be a fuse. As for your headlights, I'm guessing something's shorted, not sure what. Same goes for the A/C fans and center console lights. Basically, I'd check the fuses first. Replace the ones that are blown. They're probably gonna find a few short circuits and might have to rewire a few things. I'm sorry to hear about this happening. I really hope your ECU and sensors aren't damaged.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

I believe all your fuses are fried. When the ECU is reset, the Engine will automatically rev to 3000 on its own at first start up. Just replace all the fuses. Fuses are considered Fail-safe for electrical equipment. Anything running from the battery to power anything else must run through a fuse. If the fuse takes on too much power, it blows. I dont think anything else is wrong with the car.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

I don't want to let the dealership know what happened tonight. Should I just say the battery went out?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

yeah dont tell them about the incident just in case. i agree with the other reply. I seriously doubt you fried your electrical system. the fuses are there for a reason! ive had my share of small annoying problems like this. it sucks but crap happens. just have patience, im sure everything is fine with your car!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

fuses. like RSGuy said, they're there for a reason. it's definitely good that you disconnected the cables as soon as you saw that though...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

*update*

I took it in and they are replacing the battery under warranty. I guess I blew the main fuse to the whole car and a couple other small ones... The one before the alternator is the expensive rare part. They had to overnight the fuse from Georgia so I am left w/ a pos Grand Prix rental. My service guy is super cool and is going to get it covered under warranty even though he has an idea what happened
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll on the fuses too!
Check them and reflash your ECU.
I had my battery dead without accident like yours (@ 6 month from new) but the Mitsu dealer was not good at all...They just told me that warranty is out cause a I change my stereo....and so the wiring is no more safe anymore....
Hate them!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

They took good care of me at my dealership and fixed it all under warranty.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh, I was gonna say most likely the main fuse is shot.