Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOL2003
really low 14's?
According to several major automotive publications, yeah.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supermoose
s2k interior is 11x as good as our garbage evo interior.

WTF kind of S2000 did you sit in?

Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
...S2k is more of a drivers car. It takes more skill to extract speed out of it. Any chump can drive an Evo fast...
I do beleive VERY much so that anybody can jump in an EVO and drive it fast, but isn't that what makes it such a fast car?

I'm not saying the EVO WILL post a better lap time than an S2000, but think of it this way. A professional driver in an S2000, yes while it may be more of a purist's car, I think the fact that the EVO, in some ways covers up many mistakes, the professional driver could still post a better lap time in the EVO due to the car being superior (I'm not nessacerily saying the EVO is superior)

I have an 03, without the ACD and AYC. I've never driven an EVO with the driving aids, BUT to be honest, I'm glad I don't have the driving aids. It makes me feel more incontrol.

I'm sure you'll find many racing events where EVO posted better times than S2000's and you'll find many that show the opposite. I'm even sure you can have one driver drive the S2000 around a track faster than an EVO, but maybe another driver can drive that very same EVO around the track faster than an S2000.

I believe it's the drivers habits and style that makes a big difference so it's really all preferance IMO. I've seen video's of a Civic eating NSX's and GTR's alive. I'm sure the Civic had some INSANE mods, but I'm sure the driver had MUCH knowledge of FWD performance driving...

It's all preferance. Go drive both and pick whats best for you. There are days when I'd rather have an S2000, but if I could only pick one...well it's obvious, seeing as though I picked the EVO
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

I can't belive everyone is sticking up for the s2k. The evo is better in every aspect.
I drove one and didn't like it they're too small not evo fast, no turbo and worst of all its a honda.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by W_evo8
I can't belive everyone is sticking up for the s2k. The evo is better in every aspect.
I drove one and didn't like it they're too small not evo fast, no turbo and worst of all its a honda.
Spoken like a typical narrow minded Evo owner!

I use to own a 1995 Talon Tsi which was mildly modified back in the day. When the S200 first came out 2 of my firends ended up buying one. One bought a yellow one and the other bought a light silver one. To be honest, when I drove it I had a grin on my face the entire time. The electronic steering was simply amazing! The car screamed once you hit vtec but it had no torque! I absolutely loved revving past 9k rpms. The car stuck to the corners very well and at that time I never drove a car which handled better.

The only flaw with the car was the fact that it was very hard to judge the limits and the electronic steering did not help with that at all. At the time a lot of people were wrecking their S2000's because one minute your planted on the road and the next minute your in a ditch. That's why they "toned down" the car once the 2.2 liter model came out.

I loved the car and the way it drove but at the time my Talon would walk all of the thing. My Talon was fwd and the torque was 10x better than the s2k.

Now when I boight my Evo it was the first car that actually handled just like the S2000 but had the torque and power to back it up. It pulled like my Talon with the feel of the s2k's handling. However you do feel the road much better in the Evo, especially through the steering wheel. You can push the limits in the Evo and know exactly where you stand as opposed to the s2k.

Now I also had the chance to recently drive my other friends s2k which has a full Mugen exhaust, AEM standalone, and Comptech Supercharger. The car is simply amazing! It turns the s2k into an entirely different beast. The response on the car is like nothing other. There is not an Evo on the road that could compare to the throttle response on that car. The car is fast, putting down 350whp but at the end of the day more than half of the Evo's on the street can walk all over it and pull better lap times too!

I would personally love to have a supercharged s2k but I don't have the money to buy a $6000 supercharger which does not inlcude the supporting mods. I also don't have the money to buy a 2nd car which would absolutley be needed.

That's just my $.02
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:05 PM

I have a couple questions for you guys:

1. Which car gives you a bigger grin on your face when you hop in and start the engine when you're bored at home at 9pm?

2. Which car is more enjoyable cruising down a city street with one of your friends or a girl in the passenger seat?

3. Which car is more refined and gives a better feel when you're relaxed and actually trying to feel how the car is?

4. Which car feels more at home when you're driving up and down your local mountain just to gawk at the houses?

And the important one:

5. DO GIRLS REALLY LIKE THE S2000 MORE THAN THE EVO?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Your example proved that you can't make the judgement you made either. Just because you worked at one dealership doesn't mean that general crowd of s2k owners are like the ones that show up at the shop. It may be true for the place you are in but it may not be for the rest of the world. I had 3 friends working at Honda dealer, 2 as mechanics and 1 in body shop. We talk everytime someone brings s2k in because they aren't that common in WI and since I owned one. Majority of the owners from dozens that came to the shop were described as in their 20's or 30's. And some teenage kids that wrecked their bumpers/fenders. There was one lady in her 30s who was supposedly a stripper in the town.

Also the members on s2ki of various regions are quite aware of and actively 'seek' female owners so that they can be invited to the barbeques and meets. Because generally it is like sausage fest unless majority of the members bring their girlfriends or wives. Whenever they spot another s2k they have never seen before, they try to track down who they are by discussing with other board members from that region and describing by the visual mods (or lack of), since the cars aren't that common (about 5000-10000 made every year for the states, so about 50000 produced in the states and a lot of them are wrecked) also due to their size, shape and colors, they are quite easy to spot.

In Hong Kong, I saw more than 5 different girls driving STi's of various model years(we have GC here as well as GD), and 2 female EVO drivers. But I don't generalize EVO nor STi as the 'sissy car'.

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R
Nope, I sure haven't. But I haven't been to any Evo meets either because of my schedule wife, kids, career, family... but that just illustrates my point that I'm about to make. You absolutely can't judge what the "majority" of car owners are like by who shows up to your Evo/S2K meets. So let me break it down for you. The reason you haven't seen any seniors and girls at the S2K meets is simply because these demographics don't hang out in parkinglots or go to dyno days. The majority of S2K owners are not the "tuner" or "car club" type and are simply wealthy upper and upper middle class people. Most S2K owners fit in these categories... First you have the "reliving my youth but can't afford a corvette" older men, then the "I want a sexy convertible" MILFS, and you also have the daddy's girl who wants a sexy sports car but her dad is more interested in safety and reliability. Going by "who shows up to a S2K meet" or who the members of a S2K forum are just gives you a skewed perspective cuz they will be mostly young men who are into tuning and who are thin and short enough to fit into those cars. Guys who go to S2K meets and post on forums are actually the minority of S2K owners. To get an accurate picture of the people who buy and own S2K's try working (like I used to) at a Honda dealership. You will see what kind of people bring in S2K's for maintenance and leave the lot with them. Mostly hot thin petite females and older men.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

DSMEVOLUTION;4742564]Spoken like a typical narrow minded Evo owner!

Its true! I just really hate hondas. hahaha I could never see owning anything but an evo unless it was a lotus. I've been drooling the evo way too long to even consider anything else. I had a 99 GSX before the evo because I couldn't afford an evo.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Why hate honda? Its the only japanese manufacturer to consistently make great sports cars thoughout its history.

Last edited by Evolved Monkey; Sep 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i have experience both. had an 03 evo for about 2 and a half year. kept breaking, so i went back to honda a got an s2000. breaking parts is expected when you race but it's much more expensive to fix than a honda (even when i do all the work myself). i like the power of the evo (mine was 320whp) but i like the handling of the s2k. i autocross with both car and i do better in the s2k, it just handles like a go-kart. i initially got the evo for the practicality but then i figure i don't need practicality anymore. i'm not a big fan of convertibles but i got the s2k because it's a rwd and it's a honda and one of the best if not the best car in it's class.

Last edited by honda-guy; Sep 14, 2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by hellspare
I have a couple questions for you guys:

1. Which car gives you a bigger grin on your face when you hop in and start the engine when you're bored at home at 9pm?

2. Which car is more enjoyable cruising down a city street with one of your friends or a girl in the passenger seat?

3. Which car is more refined and gives a better feel when you're relaxed and actually trying to feel how the car is?

4. Which car feels more at home when you're driving up and down your local mountain just to gawk at the houses?

And the important one:

5. DO GIRLS REALLY LIKE THE S2000 MORE THAN THE EVO?
1) depends if i'm in the mod for some drag racing or drifting.
2) s2k is nice cruising down the city street with the top down.
3) evo feel better in relaxed state, s2k fells more on edge.
4) s2k is more fun in the twisty but the evo is a very close second place.
5) can't answer this one because i'm not a girl.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Your example proved that you can't make the judgement you made either. Just because you worked at one dealership doesn't mean that general crowd of s2k owners are like the ones that show up at the shop. It may be true for the place you are in but it may not be for the rest of the world. I had 3 friends working at Honda dealer, 2 as mechanics and 1 in body shop. We talk everytime someone brings s2k in because they aren't that common in WI and since I owned one. Majority of the owners from dozens that came to the shop were described as in their 20's or 30's. And some teenage kids that wrecked their bumpers/fenders. There was one lady in her 30s who was supposedly a stripper in the town.

Also the members on s2ki of various regions are quite aware of and actively 'seek' female owners so that they can be invited to the barbeques and meets. Because generally it is like sausage fest unless majority of the members bring their girlfriends or wives. Whenever they spot another s2k they have never seen before, they try to track down who they are by discussing with other board members from that region and describing by the visual mods (or lack of), since the cars aren't that common (about 5000-10000 made every year for the states, so about 50000 produced in the states and a lot of them are wrecked) also due to their size, shape and colors, they are quite easy to spot.

In Hong Kong, I saw more than 5 different girls driving STi's of various model years(we have GC here as well as GD), and 2 female EVO drivers. But I don't generalize EVO nor STi as the 'sissy car'.
Ok, Here is a quote from an article by superstreet online that talks about what HONDA Corporation said about their target demographics for the S2K

"By the time you read this, chances are that nearly all of those [S2000s] will have already been spoken for by your parent's doctors, lawyers, and accountants (according to Honda, the target demographics for the S2000 are 70 percent male, 40-plus years old, and have a median household income of $100,000)"

Findthe article here.

That corresponds perfectly to who I saw buying them and bringing them in for service and buying them off the lot. I know you want to feel like the S2K is a cool car for young guys, maybe it is where you live... but that's not who it was designed for and that's not who generally buys this car. About the girls joining your car clubs....what makes you think that a female S2K driver would be the type that would want to hang out with a bunch of guys that own the same car as her on the weekend? Or spend all day logging on to a site to talk about her car... It's very rare to find a girl that's like that. If it were normal you wouldn't have to hunt and seek girls to join your online forum.... That's just obvious. Girls like cars because of ther aesthetic qualities, and how they look sitting in it with their girlfriend when they go to clubs and parties and school etc... not to car meets. Especially girls that can afford an S2K or are married. They don't get into that because most dont care how much horsepower it has, or what aftermarket parts she can get... or what body kit...

Last edited by E\/0IXG$R; Sep 14, 2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I've owned two s2k's and they a totally different car and hard to compare. I eventually picked the Evo for high number of advantages over the s2000, especially when it came to having our son. But I do plan on buying another next spring.
Attached Thumbnails Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?-s2k-03.jpg  
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so you believe that article, how about this then?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...4-17-evo_x.htm

"Who'll buy? Mitsubishi sees the Lancer Evolution as a second or third car for married men in their late 30s to early 50s with median household incomes of $90,000-plus. Or as the dream buggy for twentysomethings who'd spend about the same, in the end, buying and customizing a Honda Civic or a Subaru WRX."

And few JD Powers demographic stats:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/honda/s2000/2007/
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/nissan/350z/2007/
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/mazda/rx-8/2007/
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ford/mustang/2008/
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/chevrol...te/2008/coupe/

EVO and STi are not listed because they are considered as 'Lancer' or 'Impreza' and it was discontinued after 2006 anyways.

Mitsu isn't being specific about the median age nor the sex of average buyer but you get the picture. Most $30k+ cars are going to have median age of 40 or higher, all these performance cars have similar median age. More female driving mustang than the s2k? It must be a very pretty car.

Not many young people here think s2k is cool, they think its special, but they'd take silvia or FD over s2k anyday for the 'tude'. Hell even R34 is 'cooler' car for kids than s2k when it costs more, here in HK or in Japan.

I'm not trying to argue whether s2k is 'cooler' car over evo, but what I'm trying to say is you can't really tag a car to be 'no ball' or 'a girl's car' just because it makes less power, costlier to mod and you saw girls in them quite often. If you see it statistically, you'd notice median age and male-to-female sex ratio of the buyers aren't much different for s2k than EVO.

And the guys on s2ki are not being serious of course, they don't come lurk around car forums to look for possible dates. However, whether on EVO forum or s2k forum, members will notice and be very aware of when other people join and claim to be female, especially if they're from the same area.

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R
Ok, Here is a quote from an article by superstreet online that talks about what HONDA Corporation said about their target demographics for the S2K

"By the time you read this, chances are that nearly all of those [S2000s] will have already been spoken for by your parent's doctors, lawyers, and accountants (according to Honda, the target demographics for the S2000 are 70 percent male, 40-plus years old, and have a median household income of $100,000)"

Findthe article here.

That corresponds perfectly to who I saw buying them and bringing them in for service and buying them off the lot. I know you want to feel like the S2K is a cool car for young guys, maybe it is where you live... but that's not who it was designed for and that's not who generally buys this car. About the girls joining your car clubs....what makes you think that a female S2K driver would be the type that would want to hang out with a bunch of guys that own the same car as her on the weekend? Or spend all day logging on to a site to talk about her car... It's very rare to find a girl that's like that. If it were normal you wouldn't have to hunt and seek girls to join your online forum.... That's just obvious. Girls like cars because of ther aesthetic qualities, and how they look sitting in it with their girlfriend when they go to clubs and parties and school etc... not to car meets. Especially girls that can afford an S2K or are married. They don't get into that because most dont care how much horsepower it has, or what aftermarket parts she can get... or what body kit...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

having owned both in the past - I would say depends on usage, mod plans, income, status level , wasit size etc...

Evo is more mod friendly and practical. S2K is high revvin fun and just a cool car. You feel so connected when you jump out the Evo into the S2K. Both are fun cars, but you cannot compare them, really!

Comparing Evo to the STi makes sense, about the only one out there.

Quick Reply: Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?