Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo Undercoating

I was swapping tires for an autocross this weekend and noticed what appeared to be grease all over my RF wheel well, and started wondering what was leaking. At first I thought CV boot, but that looked fine, and I started thinking oil cooler or something else. Upon further inspection however, I found that this goo was present in all four wheel wells. Is this type of undercoating standard practice for or is this something special for the Evo? I was thinking that maybe they put soft gooey stuff on there so that it would be easier to remove for people prepping the car for competition, but I'm not sure. I just don't remember running into this on any of my other cars...

JW
2old2b2furious
Old Jul 7, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Evo Undercoating

Originally posted by jwtodd60
I was swapping tires for an autocross this weekend and noticed what appeared to be grease all over my RF wheel well, and started wondering what was leaking. At first I thought CV boot, but that looked fine, and I started thinking oil cooler or something else. Upon further inspection however, I found that this goo was present in all four wheel wells. Is this type of undercoating standard practice for or is this something special for the Evo? I was thinking that maybe they put soft gooey stuff on there so that it would be easier to remove for people prepping the car for competition, but I'm not sure. I just don't remember running into this on any of my other cars...

JW
2old2b2furious
When we replaced the cat back in my EVO, the guys noticed black goo all over the undersides of the car.... It was enough to think something was leaking, but apparently it's some sort of undercoating..... Pretty weird though, you'd think they not cover the car with black gooey mess..
Old Jul 7, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea everytime i crawl underneath my car i always come out looking like i got tar'ed!!!

Even after 4000 miles the undercoating still seems wet!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm do u Evo guys have it in the engine bay though?? some of the US lancer guys have brown goo in the engine bay like me i GUESS it's there to protect the coat and all, but im definately gonna spend some time and take it off around the engine bay
Old Jul 7, 2003, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

naaa none in the engine bay, just on the entire underbelly of the car.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I've never seen liquid like undercoating either. I was a ltiile pissed when it got all over me while I was inspecting the underside of the car. I'd like to just wipe it all off, but that will probably just make it messier.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

naa leave it there. Its there for a reason, wether its for deflecting water and road debris, or even just sound dampening... its there for something!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I don't pan on removing it. I don't want to lose the sound deadining, I just can't stand getting that dirty everytime I get under the car. It's like working on a 200K leaky POS.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yep its normal...for the evo...pain in thr rear though
Old Jul 7, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I think it is wax based and will never "dry"...
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

yep my lancer oz has it drives me nuts
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
yea everytime i crawl underneath my car i always come out looking like i got tar'ed!!!

Even after 4000 miles the undercoating still seems wet!
Same here
Old Aug 14, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it is rather messy NO it doesn't really dry.I haven't seen "wet " undercoating on cars for a while but it used to be common. What's worse, some salesmen would actually try to charge you for it as if it were an option. No foolin, my mother bought a "60" Rambler and this happened to her.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

I looked under my car yesterday while washing it.....prompted by the guy who was complaining about it on the Evo general forum yesterday.

It looks like normal old Undercoating....the same stuff I've seen underneath almost every other car I have owned. But the difference with the Evo is that the coating doesn't seem to have dried properly. Or maybe it is still soft due to the 90 degree weather.

Either way, it is messy stuff if you touch it too roughly..

SC~
Old Aug 15, 2003, 05:29 PM

I'm getting spots on both sides of my car every time I drive it. I think its from the undercoating. Today I discovered on the side of the car that I was getting all the sun, the tar spots stained the paint and there are little brown transparent spots all over the passenger side of my car. I think the sun melted the undercoating spots into my paint!

Quick Reply: Evo Undercoating