Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Commuting in Evo 8.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I miss rolling on 1st gear during bumper to bumper traffic. Auto seems to go too fast without pressing on the gas so its back to stick for me. Besides my right foot been getting too much exercise for the past 2 years. Time to give my left foot a work out.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

As has already been said, nobody "likes" driving a high-powered manual transmission car in stop-and-go traffic. But it's not that bad; I generally do at least some stop-and-go traffic each day. You learn how to deal with it.

If you are not an experienced stick shift driver, you may have some frustration with the Evo in such traffic conditions. It really requires very smooth inputs to even out the roughness, but it seems that some stick shift drivers use the clutch to smooth out the rough edges in their driving technique, which works only at the expense of excessive clutch wear. Rev match on downshifts, roll into and out of the throttle smoothly, and don't ride the clutch.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:20 AM

Blue Evo

Beaverton Mitsubishi is who I've been dealing with. They have lots of Evo's in stock but as you said, no blue ones. One of my delays in the purchase is the fact I can't drive the car until I more-or-less purchase it. They want to keep the miles less than 5 miles. So no test drives. I wish they would allocate one as a test drive vehicle. Subaru let me drive a STI as long as I didn't romp on it which was fine since the car is new.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:28 AM

I drive mine in suburban Chicago gridlock every day. Take a back road when able, but spend a lot of time on the highway too. I like the challenge of driving the car well in traffic. And boy when a hole opens up ahead, you be gone....
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:32 AM

so what you are trying to say to me is that this car can be switched into an automatic car? i never heard that before. i thought the "auto" button was for the intercoller spray. are you guys being serious or not. i havent gotten mine yet and this is news to me.???
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

he he he

Hey Willyd, by any chance do you drive through the tristate tollway? The traffic is horrible there. I live in the city, and going to places like Woodfield Mall or around that vicinity, I always end up stuck somewhere near the tollway or at the merge between 90/94. Horrible!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

The only thing you would have to "worry" about if using this car as a daily driver is if the roads you drive on are particularly bumpy. But if bumpy rides really bother you, then you would probably be better off with a Buick. The handling on the car is very responsive so that might be an issue to some people.

My previous daily driver was a 300zx TT and it seemed to be more comfortable as a daily driver. But then again, it could not take turns like my EVO can (which is one of the reasons why I no longer have it).
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:42 AM

To kidnice:
No most of my travels are around Woodfield, so have 90 which is nice and smooth and 290/53 which is some of the worst pavement I've ever seen on a so called highway. They've been fixin it now for 3 months. Good lord!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jbrennen
As has already been said, nobody "likes" driving a high-powered manual transmission car in stop-and-go traffic. But it's not that bad; I generally do at least some stop-and-go traffic each day. You learn how to deal with it.

If you are not an experienced stick shift driver, you may have some frustration with the Evo in such traffic conditions. It really requires very smooth inputs to even out the roughness, but it seems that some stick shift drivers use the clutch to smooth out the rough edges in their driving technique, which works only at the expense of excessive clutch wear. Rev match on downshifts, roll into and out of the throttle smoothly, and don't ride the clutch.
Actually, I do like it. So much so that it has been my choice for a daily driver for quite some time. I drove a 98 Camaro SS for 4 years prior to my Evo. Daily commuter, stop and go traffic.

I think for me, it's more of an escape from the daily grind to get in and feel all of the mechanics of the car. It's really hard to sweat work related stuff when you are driving the Evo. It's good therapy.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Blue Evo

Originally posted by kitra
Beaverton Mitsubishi is who I've been dealing with. They have lots of Evo's in stock but as you said, no blue ones. One of my delays in the purchase is the fact I can't drive the car until I more-or-less purchase it. They want to keep the miles less than 5 miles. So no test drives. I wish they would allocate one as a test drive vehicle. Subaru let me drive a STI as long as I didn't romp on it which was fine since the car is new.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. PM me if you like and we can discuss further.

Personally, I wouldn't buy much more than an oil filter from those guys. They use all of the sneaky sales tactics in the book. If you have to deal with them, I would make sure you arrange your own financing and read EVERY line of EVERY paper they have you sign. Make sure you keep track of ALL of the numbers they quote you and hold them to it.

Good deals and less hassles can be had at Rey Reece (they supposedly have a shipment of Evos coming in soon), talk to Steve Simmons and tell him you were referred by the guy who bought the Lightening Yellow Evo from him (I only dealt with Steve, he is the sales manager and a straight up guy, we had a deal in about 15 minutes). Dick Hannah in the 'Couv is another good one from what I understand.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by i_love_spool
Does any 5 spd performance car run well in stop and go traffic....the unanimous answer is NO.

Doesn't matter what it is Mustang, Ferrari, Porsche, Impreza....when you drive 5 spd in stop and go its a pain in the ***.

If it's "too easy to stall out" then the idiot probably didn't know how to drive and let off the clutch to early.
Awww... Come on... Some manual cars are much easier to drive in traffic than others. Hondas and BMWs are two examples of manual cars that are easy on the driver in stop and go situations.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bigd

Actually, I do like it. So much so that it has been my choice for a daily driver for quite some time. I drove a 98 Camaro SS for 4 years prior to my Evo. Daily commuter, stop and go traffic.

I think for me, it's more of an escape from the daily grind to get in and feel all of the mechanics of the car. It's really hard to sweat work related stuff when you are driving the Evo. It's good therapy.
Well, I see your point; I've had manual transmission cars my whole adult life, since I bought my first one in 1988, and high-power five-speeds since I bought my Porsche in 1992, and have lived in the LA area and then the DC area, two high-traffic areas. Never once considered buying an automatic to make the commute "easier" on me...
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

It's far, FAR more comfortable than my '01 Cobra. Lighter clutch, quicker/lighter steering. Quieter.

Of course, that's not saying much.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Kitra,
You have mail. Turn on your PM.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

THe nature of the car makes it comfortable to me as a daily driver, though I do often find myself wishing from time to time that I had a supper powerfull death ray so I could wipe the roads clear and have a little fun (like the toyota comercial).

If you have to sit and stop and go traffic everyday both ways on a long comute I would think twice then buy the evo for the nights and weekends and an old *** econo box with an atomatic for the daily grind

Quick Reply: Commuting in Evo 8.