Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Commuting in Evo 8.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003 | 07:54 AM

Commuting in Evo 8.

I have still not purchased my new Evo. I.m thinking this one out real hard. Our local Dealer just received 8 more Evo's. One of the yellow ones has the spoiler like a lower-end Lancer. Looks more inconspicuous that way.

To the chase, I read an article that stated the Evo isn't good to commute in because it doesn't run smooth enough in stop and go traffic. The article, if I can find it again, said "balky in traffic" and "too easy to stall out". Do any of you Evo owners use your car as a commuter? Any comments regarding how it drives as a commuter in heavy stop-and-go traffic?

P.S. - The new shipment on Evo's here all have serial numbers 121XXX. I don't know what their build date is, however?
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Its not an automatic luxury car but its fine. No *****es here at all.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Does any 5 spd performance car run well in stop and go traffic....the unanimous answer is NO.

Doesn't matter what it is Mustang, Ferrari, Porsche, Impreza....when you drive 5 spd in stop and go its a pain in the ***.

If it's "too easy to stall out" then the idiot probably didn't know how to drive and let off the clutch to early.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

I commute in it every day but I'veonly had it since 6/12 so I haven't hit too much stop-and-go. It seems fine to me.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what the switch behind the shifter is for... heavy traffic .. just throw her in Auto
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo is fine as a commuter. It's my only street car I have and I have had no issues with it. I drive in stop and go traffic pretty much daily.

"too easy to stall out". They must not know how to drive a stick.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:12 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sccavee
The Evo is fine as a commuter. It's my only street car I have and I have had no issues with it. I drive in stop and go traffic pretty much daily.

"too easy to stall out". They must not know how to drive a stick.
Same here, couldn't agree more.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I drive to downtown L.A. (some of the worst traffic in the world) everyday and I have no complaints. I don't have to shift as often as I did in my S2000.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I shift in stop and go traffic every day. Never have a problem. Shifts good, just like my WRX used to!
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by leonard_shelby
Thats what the switch behind the shifter is for... heavy traffic .. just throw her in Auto
Ohh. I was wondering what that was for.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

All things considered (tight suspension, low profile tires, etc...) this car is suprisingly comfortable especially on decent roads.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Mine is just fine in day to day traffic.........and at full speed.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 09:08 AM

Interesting to see that some of you own Blue Evo's. I've never seen a blue one yet at any of our local Dealers.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Mine is my daily driver. Personally, I find it comfortable. It's not a "commuter car" per se. It's not the kind of car you get in and turn off your brain like a luxury SUV either. You definitely have to "drive" the car every time you sit down in it. Personally, I like that. I want that feeling from the car I drive every day. I look forward to getting into my Evo every commute I make.

One thing that I love about the Evo in traffic is that it's extremely low key just going through the gears and keeping the revs below 4K. If you are easy on the throttle, you will rarely ever hit more than a couple pounds of boost. Once you get used to the power band and the throttle sensitivity you can keep it mild like a kitten.
Old Jul 7, 2003 | 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kitra
Interesting to see that some of you own Blue Evo's. I've never seen a blue one yet at any of our local Dealers.
A month or two ago, Beaverton Mitsu on Canyon said they were going to get a blue one. I have yet to see one show up on their lot though.

Quick Reply: Commuting in Evo 8.