Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Our (non-HID) Healights Blow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our (non-HID) Healights Blow

hey all.... after reading countless threads from HID and non-HID owners, it looks like everybody with the "regular", projector style headlights wants or already has moved to an HID kit, or the HID housings from an MR/SSL (not sure what models have them, too lazy to read, just know they have them and we don't). so my question and i'm going to rant----why the **** do we have to deal with such sh1tty headlights, and swap them out? i'm far from blind; i have excellent vision, and i have so much trouble seeing at night with these damned headlights. this is my 8th car (i've had lots of cars break down, and finally got this nice one), and you'd think for over $30,000 god @##$@ dollars, mitsu would supply us with some usable, safe, and bright headlights. anybody agree, or are we all falling into the "lets get HIDs after we've already spent our hard earned money on a wickedly expensive car with sh1tty headlights" pit?

oh yeah - and before anybody chimes in and says "get new bulbs"... i just tore off the front bumper and put silverstars in a few days ago with no improvement. what a stupid system of taking the bumper off to put new headlights in too!!! unbelieveable...

thanks for your input, and possible solutions/what you've been through...

Last edited by captainSly; Sep 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

our seats and drivetrain were higher priority.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:14 AM

^^^ but seriously, still... if you're actually being serious (about the seats lol)... the headlights are a huge safety factor, and i'm sure the cars were meant to drive at night. they're so weak!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

If its that big a deal man, get an hid kit..they look just fine in the factory projector headlamp assembly..i love mine.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

you didnt mention if you have an RS or not. i do believe the reason is that the HID set up provides you with "bonus" weight for the vehicle.

i also understand that the regular headlamps are not that great. no need to change your bulbs, that will not help-as you have already experienced. what would help you in your situation is-if you wanted better headlights you should have gotten the model with the HID set up-SSL. if you can afford to, since you didnt get the SSL package, get an aftermarket HID conversion kit. many respectable kits now that last a long time. just make sure you dont get above the 6000k bulbs in the kit, or you will have a hard time with lighting. the higher the kelvin, the lower the "output" of light. my suggestion is getting the 5100k set up. they will change colors over time and give you the lighting you desire.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:22 AM

yeah, but thats just what i was commenting about... why don't they initially put something better in? the car already costs enough as it is... you'd think they'd put something in a bit better. now all of us with projector-style headlights have to run out and blow more $$$ on something else. yargh.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by badhabit90
you didnt mention if you have an RS or not. i do believe the reason is that the HID set up provides you with "bonus" weight for the vehicle.

i also understand that the regular headlamps are not that great. no need to change your bulbs, that will not help-as you have already experienced. what would help you in your situation is-if you wanted better headlights you should have gotten the model with the HID set up-SSL. if you can afford to, since you didnt get the SSL package, get an aftermarket HID conversion kit. many respectable kits now that last a long time. just make sure you dont get above the 6000k bulbs in the kit, or you will have a hard time with lighting. the higher the kelvin, the lower the "output" of light. my suggestion is getting the 5100k set up. they will change colors over time and give you the lighting you desire.
i'll look around, but initially - what kit can you recommend? i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and get myself a conversion kit...

thanks
Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:58 AM

I couldnt stand the standard 9006 halogens. I bit the bullet and bought a pair of USDM IX MR headlights and oem hid's for about $600. Used my stock headlight harness and spliced the fogs!

Looks great and I can see Everything!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Shoulda bought an '03, I loved my adjustable HIDs... Course I love my self-leveling ones better now...

Projector lamps aren't that bad, your eyes must have problems, hell, I see better at night with my lights off on most streets... And on the ones I don't see better on, I'd have my brights on.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 evo ftw
Old Sep 16, 2007, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

you prolly just need to tilt up ur headlights.. thats the first thing i did.. it helped alot.. then i jsut went with 4300k HID kit.. in the stock projector housing.. and perfection... never had a problem...
Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:05 PM

You can't compare just retrofitting an ebay or whatever 9006 kit into the headlights and expect true OEM hid performance. The hot spots are horrible, hence the reason I decided to do it the right way.

I just didnt want to have to drop the bumper again....