Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2003, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will have an OEM carbon fiber hood shortly that is direct bolt on and uses OEM latches. It is NOT recommended to use pins !!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:35 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

I aways heard it both ways. Not to rely on just the pins or the latch.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N/A
I aways heard it both ways. Not to rely on just the pins or the latch.
These latches on the hood I will be selling are OEM spec. No need for pins at all. The hood fits and is held the same as the one you have now !
Old Jul 9, 2003, 08:07 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

I realize that and I've still been told to use both the latch and the hoodpins together. Most carbon hoods still use a fiberglass underside which can crack. If the hood used a system like the stock hood does where it has aluminum supports underneath then I'd be more willing to trust it. Get the locking hoodpins anyways cause anybody who has been in a junkyard knows you can pop a hood by just pulling on the release cable from the underside.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

no this one does not have a fiberglass underside.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by N/A
I realize that and I've still been told to use both the latch and the hoodpins together. Most carbon hoods still use a fiberglass underside which can crack. If the hood used a system like the stock hood does where it has aluminum supports underneath then I'd be more willing to trust it. Get the locking hoodpins anyways cause anybody who has been in a junkyard knows you can pop a hood by just pulling on the release cable from the underside.
What part of NO pins, don't you get?
If the manufacturer says no pins then they must be pretty confident (aka legal issue) that it is safe. If you want the look, jus glue the top half of the pin to the hood.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

This is the underside of the WRX cf hood I sell. Same as the EVOVIII hood coming soon !
Attached Thumbnails Carbon fiber hood-wrx-hood-underside.jpg  
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:52 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

well timzcat I saw what it said. However there are crap parts out there that you wouldn't want to just use the latch with. I don't give a damn either way about a carbon hood since its not a big enough weight savings to justify the cost. I've read plenty of **** manufacturers have said about their parts doesn't mean its reliable. You would still be better off with the locking hood pins cause if you reach through your grill and pull on the hood latch release it will pop your hood. Give it a try its actually pretty easy to do. Then all somebody needs to do is cut the wires to your siren so theres no more siren going off.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N/A
well timzcat I saw what it said. However there are crap parts out there that you wouldn't want to just use the latch with. I don't give a damn either way about a carbon hood since its not a big enough weight savings to justify the cost. I've read plenty of **** manufacturers have said about their parts doesn't mean its reliable. You would still be better off with the locking hood pins cause if you reach through your grill and pull on the hood latch release it will pop your hood. Give it a try its actually pretty easy to do. Then all somebody needs to do is cut the wires to your siren so theres no more siren going off.
I am just bustin your stones.
I didn't get why you said that about the hood release cable the first time but now I get your point. If you don't have an alarm then you don't need to worry about it.
Seriously though, I don't park where I will have to worry about it getting jacked. And yes the hood is only good for looks, I don't think there is any real weight savings worth it there. But to each his own.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

I didn't think Columbia MD was a high crime rate either until a group of guys tried to steal 7 cars at once from the neighborhood I live in. After that I got alot more cautious. The cops were useless and just said to keep an eye out for them. No **** buddy I'll keep that in mind and maybe next time you'll take less then an hour before you show up.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N/A
I didn't think Columbia MD was a high crime rate either until a group of guys tried to steal 7 cars at once from the neighborhood I live in. After that I got alot more cautious. The cops were useless and just said to keep an eye out for them. No **** buddy I'll keep that in mind and maybe next time you'll take less then an hour before you show up.

Did you ever hear the one about the guy who saw someone in his shed at night and called 911. They said if they aren't in the house that he should stay there and a cop will come when one is free. He called back a copule minutes later and said never mind, I shot them all. Wouldn't you know a couple cops and an ambulance were there with in minute. They caught the guys too.
That's one way to get the cops there. (of course he never actually shot them.)
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just wondering if anyone has ordered any of the C/F Hoods from Ebay as yet...
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by designmanfx
Just wondering if anyone has ordered any of the C/F Hoods from Ebay as yet...
That would probably be VIS. This one IS better ! Better latches , better support, better finish
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ozrallyguy

That would probably be VIS. This one IS better ! Better latches , better support, better finish
Ok coming soon, but there is g3auto on ebay selling them now, just trying to see if its a scam or what.... wrong fitment... u know whats up w/ it
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

i'm still waiting for a decent CF front lip / splitter...

and not the one from Vivid... that looks lame...