Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sti transmission vs evo transmission

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The STi 6 speed tranny is very strong, it seems that the general consensus over at NASIOC is that is can easily handle 400 whp and if you know the hell you're doing it can handle 500whp. I think the evo 5-speed is pretty similar but the evo 6-speed is weaker. It seems like mitsubishi and subaru are ying and yang to each other, the subaru 6-speed is great but the 5-speed is weak while the mitsubishi 5-speed is great but the 6-speed is weak.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The grass is always greener when it comes to drivetrain

The only way to compare the two is to to drive both under the same exact conditions putting out the same amount of power.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elhalisf
the only reason why people are thinking the evo transmissions are weaker is only because of the syncro's. but interms of power, buschur has shown that the evo transmissions handled a number of 8-9 sec passes.

i dont think anyone has shown that yet with the STI 6 speed.
Because most STI owners generally don't have drag racing in mind when they buy their cars. Unless you changed the gearset, you'll probably be in 5th gear by the end of the 1/4 mile.

I think the STi's transmission is actually from Getrag, who specialize in transmission design. Their gear ratios are much much closer than the EVO 5mt (not sure about the MR) as well.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AREITU
Because most STI owners generally don't have drag racing in mind when they buy their cars. Unless you changed the gearset, you'll probably be in 5th gear by the end of the 1/4 mile.

I think the STi's transmission is actually from Getrag, who specialize in transmission design. Their gear ratios are much much closer than the EVO 5mt (not sure about the MR) as well.
no, its not getrag. the company who designed the sti 6-speed also designed the MR 6-speed. i think their name is assin (?sp)

but our transfer case is from getrag
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you guys kidding??

The stock EVO tranny has held up to many 1000+ HP cars. . .
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by elhalisf
no, its not getrag. the company who designed the sti 6-speed also designed the MR 6-speed. i think their name is assin (?sp)

but our transfer case is from getrag
Thanks, I stand corrected on that one. I thought I read somewhere that Getrag supplied to Subaru for the 6mt.

Aisin is a very big provider of transmissions to japanese cars. A funny little side note...They supply GM with Soulstice/Sky transmissions because GM wanted the same shift feel as the S2000's gearbox, which is also made by them.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
The grass is always greener when it comes to drivetrain

The only way to compare the two is to to drive both under the same exact conditions putting out the same amount of power.
Although u can compare the two to have the same amount of power BUT it's impossible to compare them under the same exact conditions. U know that there's no day that has the same conditions as the other past days or upcoming days.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Are you guys kidding??

The stock EVO tranny has held up to many 1000+ HP cars. . .
Ur not trying to be a comedian, are u? Cause I want u to show me (if u have this article) on which of these evos have stock trannys running close to 1000 hp.

Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry, guess I exagerated a bit for dramatic effect. I should not have said "many". How about "some".

I'll let you do the research in to who runs a stock tranny. BTW, the Buschur drag car and many of their personal high HP cars ran the stock trans for a long time. They may be "Buschurized" now, or whatever they call it, but it is more for shifting performance than strength or reliability.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Evo stranny is stronger, but I think the front and center diffs take more of a pounding just because of the FWD-like layout. On the EVO its friggin AWD based on FWD layout vs and AWD based on RWD for the STI. On the STI, the tranny is actually pointed the right way hehe
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

interesting. So would you prefer what Tranny for your ride then?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

I do belive that the STi tranny is more solid than the evolution. Like stated before the synchros are rthe weakest parts. They are brass and wear very fast. As far as the speed gears hub and sliders go those are very solid parts.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think the STI tranny is much if any stronger than the Evo tranny.. But the OEM STI clutch is considerably stronger and longer lasting than the Evo clutch. As far as the STI tranny holding 400-500whp, maybe so but Evo drivetrains have held double that amount so I dont see how that's much of an argument either.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by kaonashi
Thats why 95% of honda's have blown trannys
Wait, what?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

He said ^,

"Thats why 95% of honda's have blown trannys."
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:09 AM

I understand what he said, but I don't understand how that is true?
If any tranny is beat on it will break, but out of all the trannys out there, the Honda ones on average last the longest. I don't see a valid point there.
So is he implying that all Honda drivers are bad?

Last edited by hellspare; Sep 18, 2007 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Sti transmission vs evo transmission