Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aero work, undertrays and misc looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love an undertray with a front air dam that's both practical (will not get destroyed quickly in daily driving) and functional.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

To possibly pick up 1-2mph in the 1/4....I'll buy one as soon as they are available

Last edited by SPIN2GST; Sep 20, 2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We finished the first undertray this morning. Below is a picture of our black drag car with it on. The underside of this car is slightly different as the center member is different than stock or the one we sell. (The center member is the brace that runs the length of the car with the front engine/trans mount on it). On our black car it hangs down a bit, that's why there is a slight bow in the undertray.

We also put a flat "wicker" in front of both tires and then directed the air hopefully down the center of the car. It looked good so we figured what the hell.

The front under the "Do luck" lip is fastened in with 5 Dzues fasteners and the rear is held in by the two tie bar bolts. On the center member we ran two zip ties through it for extra support.

The undertray is heavier than I'd like but without going to an expensive "exotic" material it's the best we can do, 10.8 pounds, it is longer than the stock undertray.

Anyway, here's the first shot of it:

Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

10.8 Lbs is surprisingly heavy.
Do you have a weight figure for the stock undertray?

It does look really good though
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:11 PM

That looks great! It makes me a little worried about less air getting to the transmission, as I have the heat-failure-prone 6-speed... yes, I know I'm the jerk who was asking yesterday if it could extend back further Sorry, I realize you can't have it all.

I also like the CF piece in the bumper. When you first talked about it, I thought it was going to be in the front of the bumper and I was worried it'd look bad. In fact it looks really clean. I hope you'll sell them separately, as some people might want to retain the opening to the oil cooler but block off the non-functional opening on the opposite side.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

looks good, where do I sign up?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If you think those carbon fiber pieces look good in the front bumper of the black car wait until you see them installed in the front end of my white RS, it's HOT.

I got the undertray done for my RS tonight. Little tougher than on the black car because of the exhaust. It is going to be a few days until I get pictures of it.

I am going to try and install one on an EVO8/9 next with a stock lower lip. I think the fitment will be excellent although the downpipe is going to be close.

With the "doluck" style lip I have the ground clearance in the front is lower than stock. This makes it great as this new undertray has decent room for the downpipe.

I put some DEI floor and tunnel shield on the undertray and cut a hole for my wastegate dump.

With the undertray sitting lower because of the front lip it doesn't come up flush to the inner fender well mounting holes. I used zipties through those holes just for some support. On my RS I used 5 dzus fasteners in the front.

I have quite a few fabricating tools and some misc cool stuff laying around from the race cars we've built. I don't know if it is feasible to think I can sell this is a kit for a DIY install and have people be able to use the dzus's, drill the holes, mount the wires etc. Honestly, I don't think it's for 99% of the guys on the forums.

I think what I am going to end up doing is supplying the undertrays with just a self tapping screw to mount the front. Rear will be held by the two factory tie bar bolts. Sides can be wire tied or the factory plastic fastener can be used there.

All holes will be drilled for the rear bolts and factory plastic fasteners, trays will be pre-cut to fit. I have a kick *** template already.

Also, I started adding up the cost of doing this.....I don't know how I always end up underestimating. I forget shipping for one thing. These sheets when they start are 48" x 96", so they come in truck freight. When they are cut down they are approximately 48" x 65". I am hoping I can pack these in between two sheets of cardboard and ship it UPS. I am going to try. Realisticly pricing is going to be in the $150 range. They will come with mounting hardware and the DEI heat shielding for the downpipe.

I have to run this on a car with a stock fascia and put some heat/miles to it and make sure it is going to hold up. I think Trent is a good candidate for that

Next project, closing off the rear of the car completely..........
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

Next project, closing off the rear of the car completely..........
I can't wait for that
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Dave

I can't wait to see the new install on a stock VIII lip. If we could only get the bottom looking like this McLaren!

Also some reading...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

The sections titled "Spoiler" combined with the section "Ground Effect" might help with your Aero package. My of us have our cars "raked" and if some air was forced to remain under the care and expand (due to the side skirts), a lot of down force could be generated with little drag.

Last edited by my-red-rs; Sep 20, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Looks awesome dave! I'm waiting to see the final product on a IX.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely interested in the undertray David!

I need one before winter, and if the price is relatively low, I'll order one ASAP.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I really like it. You should tidy it up and make it a complete bolt on and up the price a tad. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Dave please make a rear diffuser like the (now out of production) Vishnu one!!!

Old Sep 21, 2007, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

Rear diffuser?

Quick Reply: Aero work, undertrays and misc looking for opinions