Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aero work, undertrays and misc looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Aero work, undertrays and misc looking for opinions

As some of you know our black car has recently run 169.59 mph. We had done a little aero work to the car and of course made even more power than before. The work we did to the car was simple so far, just sealed off some of the air that was going through the fascia. No rocket science, same stuff we did to the tube chassis cars years ago. The EVO has a lot of frontal area and way too many openings in the fascia, all of which act just about like a parachute. Sealing them all off on a street car isn't feasible as the car will over heat. On the drag car we sealed up the entire front except for the FMIC opening. We also just built a rear wing for the car, the back end has always been sealed up under the bumper and we are putting a new undertray on the front.

This brings me to a more streetable car, my EVO RS. I had a goal this spring with the car to reach 150 mph trap speeds, on E85. I have tosses the E85 goal for now and just want to hit 150 mph with the car. Being "heavy", running on radial street tires and not wanting to go up in turbo size (35r being the largest I am willing to tolerate for lag) means I have started looking elsewhere for some additional MPH.

My first change was to seal up the two larger holes that are to the right and left of the FMIC. The one on the drivers side is worthless, the one on the passenger side goes to the oil cooler. I don't run an oil cooler so I didn't need it. I made flat carbon fiber panels and glassed them in. I now have templates made and I am considering having them sent out to be made into bolt in pieces so anyone can do this. My first question is, any interest here for those parts?

The next thing I am working on is a flat undertray for the front. I have never liked the undertrays as they are a HUGE PITA to tie down on the dyno with them and they seem to gather tools and nuts/bolts when working on the car. My car hasn't had one on it since the first week I bought it. With our race FMIC the undertray has to be cut to fit, the stock undertray is not smooth and has a large cavity that protrudes up that hits the race FMIC. I know there are many guys that want the undertray back on.

I am working on a reasonably priced, flat undertray that will have wicker bills in front of both front tires. They will add some rigidity to the undertray and help move the air around the tires. Should be quite simple/inexpensive and will fit nicely under our intercoolers. I should have the first 3 of these done this week. When I get them done I will post pictures of it installed and some of the other details of what I have cleaned up aerodynamically on the car. Next question, any interest in the undertrays? Should be close to $100. Shipping is what will suck as they are 65" wide and almost 4' long.

I want to test the undertray on multiple back to back runs at the dragstrip. I think the largest gain is going to be from the two holes being plugged in the front end, they collect an enormous amount of air that gets trapped in the fascia and causes a huge drag. Imagine sticking a small garbage bag out the window of your car with an opening about the size of one and half hands, now multiply that times two openings. HUGE drag. The force if the air in those openings is so high it has pushed both inner fender wells back into the tires of my car. I figure now that they are blocked I won't have to replace them for the 3rd time.

I also have the EVO9 JDM rear bumper on the car which I think has helped a lot with the 148.32 mph trap speeds the car has already reached. There is a huge amount of air that gets trapped under the factory EVO8/9 rear bumpers. The JDM 9 is flush with the spare tire well in the rear.

So let me know what kind of interest there is. I'd like to offer both these but will only do it if there is some interest.

Thank you,
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be interested in an inexpensive undertray that is fairly easy to take off/put on and keeps my engine bay protected from road debris.

-Paul
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm very interested in an undertray before the winter hits. Please keep it low priced David. I also never had a tray. If its easy to remove and install it'll sell!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Undertray interest here, as well. Mine is off because it is a PITA!! Front bumper pieces would be nice, but those of us with Oil coolers still attached may have issues. Dave, what did you do with yours, remove it all together? Negative effects on Daily driving?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
brp
Evolving Member

i would buy the undertray for sure
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I missed it, but what material are you planning on using for these? Some sort of ABS plastic, aluminum or some sort of composite?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

It is important for me to make it fairly easy to remove. I don't like the factory plastic clips but some of those will have to be re-used around the tire area, I believe 5 of them.

The trays will also be "universal" to some extent. My car has the carbon fiber front lip (do luck style), I forgot to mention that above. So the tray on my car will be slightly wider and longer than for a stock lip.

I feel in order to keep it as affordable as possible I want to make one that will fit "everything" and then be trimmed if needed.

The tray, if all goes well, will be made of a high impact durable plastic. This should keep it light, easy to work with, won't be effected by chemicals, won't rot etc., I guess similar to the factory one.

We have run the 4G63's without oil coolers for many-many years with no ill effects. I wouldn't suggest doing it on a road race car and probably wouldn't suggest it on a car that makes long road trips in hot climates. I have had no ill effects from it, it does require oil changes more frequently. Relocating it or using a smaller hole to get air to it would also work if you wanted to clean up the front of the car.

One last thing, my plans are to use a stainless steel screw to hold the trays in place. These should remain easy to remove as they will just thread into the plastic trays. For cars that are also equipped with our new front center member, like mine, a few zipties will be used to hold them to the center member.

One other thing, the material and ease of working with it, makes it so guys that have turbo kits with wastegate dumps can easily hole saw a spot for the wastegate to blow through it.

It's funny how once the car gets modified by 100 different ideas how many different parts on the market can effect that factory undertray!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

YES and YES!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Dave, I will be getting the do-Luck style lip as well, so an undertray that fits up to that is a plus!!

THanks for the info on the oil cooler. Sounds like a possible winter project. How often do you have to pull the oil without? if you want to reply in PM that is ok.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

There is no set time on oil changes. Depends on the climate, use and dirt.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Dave I would be interested in the undertray especially with winter coming. I'll have my car up there soon. I'd like to get a nice looking hole cut for the wastegate. Daniel hacked up my Beatrush panel making a hole for the wasetgate, and I decided to junk it.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I got the material in today. Everything looks good, looks like it is going to work out really well. It is sturdy and thick enough some simple screws will hold it in place and should make it easy to take on and off, atleast easier than the stock one.

If I get time tonight I am going to try and cut and fit the first one on my RS when I get home.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm eager to see the undertray. I took my stock one off due to FMIC & dump tube.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

i would love the undertray too!!!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

will this work on the IX too. I have an RS with a SE lip.

Quick Reply: Aero work, undertrays and misc looking for opinions