Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution community(long)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution community(long)

I'm probably going to get flamed for this and I dont gaf to be honest, but I feel that I need to rant a bit on the topic of the Evolution or even Mitsu community as a whole.
I have had my Evolution for some time now and I love it, love every aspect of it, love the history, love the way it drives-sounds-handles-perfoms, the satisfaction I get from driving it, even just to get grocerys or be it getting on it through the canyons on the weekend. Love coming onto EvoM and other forums to ask and learn more and more and as much as I can about it. But I feel like there's something missing with my Evo. I feel like it's missing the community and comradery it deserves. EvoM is the biggest forum and outlet for the Evo scene and I applaude this site for it's role and involvement in the community. Without the access of EvoM I wouldn't know half of what I know about my car.
I know there are clubs out there that are hard-core and actual enthusiasts about their Evo's and are there to make an impact and difference within the Mitsu community, but they are few and far between.
I come from years of Volkswagen/Audi and it's an enthusiast car, more so than the models it makes in comparison to the diamond. Granted Mitsu really only offers the Evolution and maybe the Eclipse as a sub-culture enthusiasts car, but that's probably the only thing that is offered from Mitsubishi. Seems that the company as a whole is pushing farther away from involvement in motorsports, esp. with the pullout of the WRC and being a major name in the sport.
The death of McRae was tragic and Im sure it's impact will be felt for a long time within the sport and the extending organizations/clubs..etc. NASIOC really stepped it up as a major Subaru outlet and public forum with the loss and is doing something really great towards the loss and making a fund for the family through memorial stickers and the whole site in general is taking off their hats and doing something bigger than words could ever do. They did this in the past with the death of Lovell and Freeman and raised $6,000 to be able to send to the families. In my opinion, that is a class-act and really something to respect and take your hat off too.
Im not saying EvoM should follow by example of NASIOC. nor do anything to try and oust what anyone else is doing to the McRae event. I just feel like the reaction to it by the Evolution community (not EvoM specific) as a whole isn't there. Regardless of what Colin McRae drove or who he drove for is beside the point. The fact is that a world-class driver and huge factor in the WRC, rally-cross and just motorsports in general has passed away tragically. Many people have shown their support,wishes and condolenses to the family and the loss on some threads that have been started on here. So for me to say there was no reaction or outwardly show is nonsense and there was. Maybe I'm just comparing apples to oranges.
Im not hating on EvoM at all nor every Evo owner there is. Without EvoM and the few hardcore Evo guys, I would be lost, but I feel that for every 10 Evolution owners, only about 3 or 4 are real owners and enthusiasts.
Don't take my example of the death of McRae as a sole topic for this thread. I am merely making example of it in the aspect of the big picture.
I dont, nor would ever think of trading my Evo in for something else. Not even a Subaru. But I feel that the comradery with other clubs/forums/groups be it online or driving down the street is more admirable than that of the Evolution scene. For every Evo or tuned Mitsu driving, I can't count how many times I get a blank stare or a rev like I want to race from flashing my brights or giving thumbs up to show some love. For every 5 Evos or tuned Mitsus I see, I get maybe 1 or 2 positive reactions and a thumbs up or wave back.
Anyone else see where Im coming from or am I talking out of my behind.
I'm hoping the National Lancer meet this weekend in Vegas will sway my opinions and am looking forward to the events and just the fact that everyone with the same love for their Lancers (evolution or not) is going to be there and in force.
I love this site and the few close knit clubs out there. I just wish that in general the scene and passion for the AWD rally champion and out-perfoming Lancer Evo was more close knit and bigger.
End Rant.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have to disagree with some of this and I too lazy to really respond in depth:

1. The rareness of the Evo evokes a comradery (for me) around town, with drivers making a point to wave. WRX/Stis are way more common, especially WRX because theyre more or less family sedans with sportiness. Im not sure how it is in Vegas, but everyone in Cali is coo

2. The Colin McRae tragedy is unfortunate, and I give props to NASIOC for doin whatever they did, BUT Im pretty sure the McRae family will be just fine monetarily. Im not sure what you expect the "Evo Community" to do, but Im POSITIVE no one that is a REAL enthusiast has over looked this. If you want to arrange some kind of meet to celebrate his importance to motorsport Im sure you'll get a good turn out.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I agree somewhat. I really think it depends on the area your in as far as comradery goes. When i was in Atlanta we used to have weekly evo meets. Wether it was just chilling at starbucks, going to diner, or going to a movie. We met up every week and were a close community. I still take part in the local GA forums and look forward to seeing them when i go back to GA. Here in Reno though we have a section here on EvoM and talk frequently on there, but as far as meets go there is maybe 1 or 2 a month if even.

As far as Colin McRae goes it is a sad event. Especially the loss of his son. NAISOC raising money for them is great, but i doubt they need money. Right now what they would more than likely want to see is a showing of his fan. Weather it be sending cards or going to his funeral service or something of that sort.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Arizona is heavily represented with the Evo community and I can't say a bad thing about anyone I have met/talked to/raced with/etc from AZ. Very tight and most of those guys will go out of there way to help a fellow member out.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VegasEvoNoob
Without EvoM and the few hardcore Evo guys, I would be lost, but I feel that for every 10 Evolution owners, only about 3 or 4 are real owners and enthusiasts.
I really don't understand what you mean by "...real owners...", but 3 or 4 out of 10 is good percentage if you're talking enthusiast.

Do you go to the Thursday meets at the In & Out on Sahara? I've been once or twice and I have met some of those guys at different dyno days and such. One of the guys, Lee the prior owner of my car, even GAVE me a stock strut bar that the stealer-ship took. Try that out it may make you feel better about the community.

As far as Colin McRae's passing. What's the point of offering condolences on a forum that his family will never see. I agree with Boostless that McRae family should be ok financially. I don't know if you were on the board when
Mark Modaressi of this board was killed in Vegas, use the way people responded then as an example.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:21 PM

The monetary value Im sure is nothing. Im quite sure that the family is well-off money wise, just the though and donating the proceeds is what makes the difference. Didnt mean to sound like they family needs money or anything, just elaborating on what was being done with money made.
I go to the meets as often as I can here in Vegas, the club (LVEvos) is awesome and the people I have met have been super helpful and nice.
As far people I consider to be "real owners" are the people who DONT get Evos because they saw a video on Streetfire or youtube of some Evo street racing and beating a Honda or a v8. The ones who actually are into the cars and are a part local clubs and frequent the forums or latest news. Ones who know more about their cars than that they are fast and turbo. Enthusiasts.
There is an Evo "community" for sure, but not on the scale of some others. Apples to oranges maybe, but the ability for it to be bigger and expand is there, alot of people just don't take advantage of it I suppose and rather than have a common interest/love for the Evo, alot of guys have the "holier than thou" attitude. Those guys you usually dont see on the boards or at clubs. But Im just tired of saying whats up to someone with an Evo or a nicely tuned Mitsu on the roads and getting looked at like wtf is this guy giving me the thumbs up for.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I feel that way sometimes too. Last year we were able to have weekly Evo meets with 5-10 Evo's consistantly and many times more than that. This past summer it was hard to get more than 3 Evo's to meet up. I know they're around because we have over 150 users on our local forum.

I just get frustrated seeing the subies accross the street with 20-30 subies every weekend. Don't get me wrong they're all cool guys and they have no problem with us parking with them and hanging out. It'd just be nice to hang out with more evo owners than the same 3 every weekend. I definitly had a lot more fun with the car last year than I have this past year...
Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:51 AM

I don't experience the same problems from Evo owners, there are quite a few Evo's here in South Florida and there is an active club for it. I also get good reactions from other Evo owners on the street (STI owners for that matter as well).

As far as the camraderie and club feel that you get from Audi/BMW/VW, you don't have the time, the evos have only been in the states for a couple years. Those other cars have had an active following for decades (I came from a BMW). Evidence: BMWCCA - a huge club.

As far as Colin McRae, it doesn't add up that EvoM would do anything, I think that this is a much looser organization than others (we don't have meetings as far as I know). I do hear what you are saying, but if we want anything to happen (as in a memorial), we have to do it ourselves. Moderators aren't really there to set this whole thing up. I personally don't have a personal connection to Colin, so although I'm saddened, I'm not moved.