Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick Q on engine dies on idle.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Q on engine dies on idle.

Buenas. I just installed a Blitz cone filter. Everything is fine but engine tends to stall, stumble, or dies when trying to idle.

It rumbles between lik4 400rpm to like 800rpm-ish rapidly and it will either idle fine later or dies. Offcourse, engine will fire up right after.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Its all stock btw. Thanx!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

u need to get it tuned ASAP. mail-in flash FTW!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, bham is correct. the maf readings are probably off.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 01:25 AM

Darrn.. Ok. Well, I am here in Saipan, 10,000miles away from you guys in a tropical island next to Guam. I recently got the only 2003 EVO in the island that was previously owned by a young guy who traded in for a SUV. The car was re-conditioned by the dealer, most of the needed parts were changed including the rims and turbo charger.

I have been jamming with my Toyota MR2 Turbo, played with it since 1991 (new!), got it to run low 11s. Now, this is my new treasure. I wonder how I could get an access on those. To fine tune..

Thanx!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:37 AM
Pro

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but did you plug in the maf sensor to the intake. Alot of problems are caused because people forget stuff and not that they don't know what theyre doing
Old Sep 21, 2007, 05:57 AM

Guam Evo

Originally Posted by Kazu Ikeda
Darrn.. Ok. Well, I am here in Saipan, 10,000miles away from you guys in a tropical island next to Guam. I recently got the only 2003 EVO in the island that was previously owned by a young guy who traded in for a SUV. The car was re-conditioned by the dealer, most of the needed parts were changed including the rims and turbo charger.

I have been jamming with my Toyota MR2 Turbo, played with it since 1991 (new!), got it to run low 11s. Now, this is my new treasure. I wonder how I could get an access on those. To fine tune..

Thanx!
Hey Man, I'm from Guam, but I live in Fort Lauderdale now, Hafa! You can still do the flash, but keep in mind the 15 hour time difference. You really need to get that tuned, or just take the part off and put it to stock..
Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOcuda
You really need to get that tuned, or just take the part off and put it to stock..
^1 like what he said.. the sooner you do it.. the better..
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:14 AM

Thanx, bradda man for your BEST advise...

But EVO Cuda, Hafa-dai? What a small world, huh chelu.

Well, I am new at Mitsubishi, practically the EVO. Sorry if I sound amature but don't know anything about my new one yet. I am an enthusiast, race my 1971 El Camino full weight (4000lbs) with home made 12.5:1 350 s/b making 12.5sec at 111mph, my Toyota MR2 3S-GTE, making 11.2sec at 125mph after 4th home built motors since 1991. Raced it in Guam Raceway's Smokin Wheels 2005, the drag strip's grand opening event. I blew my motor there. But on test n tune, I made that number on drag radial.

I now see that the MAF sensor is very sensitive. I actually DIY my BLITZ filter only into the EVO's MAF and to the stock piping. It stumbles on idle and sometimes dies especially after decelerating on neutral attempting to idle.

It might sound "DUMB" but what is that flash and how could I get it?

Thanx, braddas and chelus!