Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Climate Control Mechanism and Keyless Entry Q's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control Mechanism and Keyless Entry Q's

Hi guys. I did a search and it didn't go so well on my current problem.

I had recently purchased my second Evo 8 and i am having a hell of a time with the climate control mechanisms. Particularly the heat/cool controls.

You cannot twist the knob because it is froze. You can only control the heat/cold if you reach inder the dash and push or pull the white plastic gears. The gear mechanism under the dash is very hard and stubborn to move. Does anyone have any suggestions as how i can go about fixing this problem without spending a pantload at the dealer? I had the same problem with my first evo. Both cars have under 30k miles, but for the most part the knobs have been turned all the way to the cool side.

Also on my keyless entry question, when I picked up my second evo the previous owner gave me one key and I was puzzled because my last car had two keys, and two remotes. Do all evos have keyless entry? Do I just need to order a remote somewhere and re-program it?

Sorry for the newbie questions, i just want everything to work well. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Go with midwest wireless for your keyless entry keyfob. It worked well for me.

Original post

Good Experience with streetkeys.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you are probably already aware of this, but if you don't know please read on. You don't need to go to the dealership to get a new key. I used streetkeys.com, and had a pretty good experience. For $100 they send you an uncut transponder key and the name of an affiliate that you make an appointment with to program the key. The first affiliate they gave me wouldn't do the programming because he said he no longer was an affiliate of streetkeys, but the second lock shop (Liberty Lock and Key in Rockville, MD) did the work, and I was very satisfied. They were quick and no BS. If I went to the dealership it would have been $150, so $50 saved. Streetkeys.com has affiliates all over the country, and the $100 includes the key, cutting the key, and the programming.

Secondly, let me be another one to say that programming your own remote is so easy even I can do it, and that's saying something. I beg you. Don't waste your money on buying a remote from a dealer. I am not technically inclined, and I was a little apprehensive about programming the used remote that I bought off ebay from midwest keyless for $20, but it was a piece of cake. The instructions work perfectly. So for $120 I have a new key and a new keyless entry key fob. I want to say it would have been around $150 for a new key fob to get the fob and have it programmed at the dealership, maybe more. If anybody has any questions on getting a new key or key fob feel free to shoot me a pm. I know sometimes there are guys on here that make it seem like asking a simple question is a huge offense, so I wanted to spread the word to save my evo brethren some money if you need a new key or key fob.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i bought a factory remote off the ebay using programming instructions found on the internet and it worked like a charm! The HVAC issue im suffering from myself it makes me wanna cry
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys, just ordered from midwest keyless and if all goes well, I'll order a second.