Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

CRAP, I lost my lugnet key and dont know what to do.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAP, I lost my lugnet key and dont know what to do.

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two days ago I was sanding down my calipers & repainted them bc they were completing down to metal, all the paint & clear had fallen off.

Well, this morning all of a sudden while I was in the shower, it hit me. I did not remember what I did with that locking lug nut key 2 days previous. I went to work & as soon as I got home I looked EVERYWHERE. I have torn my garage apart, even took out the spare tire trying to find this & I had left the little bag with the lug wrench sitting on top of the carpet in the trunk... so I deff didnt put the key back in there. Checked inside my car and nothing.

I am pretty sure that I must have driven off with the key still on and it flew off down the road. So I walked up the road & still didnt see it. I will try again tomorrow & walk farther down the road...but what am I to do now? I bought my car from a Chrysler dealership used, and when I first bought it, I found a bag in the glove box with my 4 stock lug nuts, and the bag was labeled, "MOPAR Chrsyler"... so I figured i'd go to Chrysler first thing...

This is kind of an emergency because im getting my clutch put in possibly on Friday!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Go to sears and get the lugnut remover sockets, they are double ended, one end will take off the wheel locks also. They work great.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

You need to use them on an impact wrench though.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dazed01
Go to sears and get the lugnut remover sockets, they are double ended, one end will take off the wheel locks also. They work great.
I work at Sears, how convenient. But these lug removers are for special lug keys?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Those lug nut removers will take off anything round. They are fluted like an ez out except on the inside.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I do not have a impact, can I just use a torque wrench to get them off? I didnt tighten this lugs down that bad anyway?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
I do not have a impact, can I just use a torque wrench to get them off? I didnt tighten this lugs down that bad anyway?
You might be able to use a breaker bar and them? Don't use a torque wrench to do anything but torque stuff within it's limits. If anything call a local shop and find out if they have those removers, if not buy them from sears go there let them use their impacts to take them off and return the sockets
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

if you purchassed the lug nut key set from mitsu.... you can go there and they usually have a master lug nut key set.... i work for toyota and thats what we have...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
Never use a torque wrench to break off nuts! Use a breaker bar.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

the cheapest way is to go to sears and have 'em remove the lugnuts for 5-10$ per wheel, and buy some replacements. The mitsu dealership charged my cuzin about 300$ to have lugnut locks removed.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by asdfasdf128
the cheapest way is to go to sears and have 'em remove the lugnuts for 5-10$ per wheel, and buy some replacements. The mitsu dealership charged my cuzin about 300$ to have lugnut locks removed.
Wow, they raped that guy. Had a guy come in about a week ago and it took me 10 minutes to get the wheel locks off. That is including finding the tool and driving the car in the bay.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are the lugs that came with the car than more than likely they are made by a company called McGard or something like that.I had to reorder a key from them.It cost about $27 shipped for 2 keys.You will need the card that came with the car that has the type of lug that was used for you car from the factory so that the company can match it up with the correct key.Or you can take a pic and send it to them Via e-mail and they can try to match it up.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may have a card in with your owners manual with a key code on it. If not go to your local dealer...they should have a key master set and can get one from McGard pretty quickly.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can actually buy the mitsu master set.

cb
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yup you can order a master set or reorder a key for it. You just need to do the part number/brand and all that. That happened to me before.

Quick Reply: CRAP, I lost my lugnet key and dont know what to do.