Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

miss a gear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I am reading all this!! Well for me, NEVER... Jeesh people, you gotta learn to be more smooth and be nicer.. No wonder they are all grinding and tearing up...!! The only AWD car I've grinded was my 93 eclipse!! That's cause I bought it with the 3rd gear synchro screwed up already!! Damn... I don't mean to rant, but ****.. C'mon guys...

I'm not claiming to be the best driver in the world, I'm just saying that some you need a little more practice and TLC with your EVO's before you go ripping them up more...

Last edited by Jonasan50; Jul 21, 2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 07:40 PM

2nd gear here also
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry man, but after owning 43 cars (almost all manual tranny cars that were driven and shifted hard)I can count the number of times I have missed a shift in the last 30 years on two hands, and three of those events happened in my EVO!

There is some kind of an issue with the 1-2 shift at redline. Maybe it doesn't affect all cars, but this seems to be a recurring theme with many.
Two of the grind-sessions occured when doing a standing start launches, then running through the gears, and interestingly the other occurred when I was heading down an interstate on-ramp from a roll and decided to let her rip.

The only thing in common with all three events was the fact that I had revved into redline in first gear as I shifted into second. The recent addition of the Works re-flash to my car has added a little more top-end power for sure, and I think the rev-limiter is also raised slightly making it easier to run into this issue.If I shift right before redline..no problem, and the 2-3, 3-4, & 4-5 shifts are always spot-on regardless.

Lots of people have had this happen, even 1/4 mile guys like incognito have mentioned having had these kinds of problems, and he has burned a 12.30 I believe. This problem is real, and not necessarily driver error (well ok, other than revving into redline;-).

Just my .02 on the matter.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:18 PM

I have missed second two or three times when really getting on it..
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

When I took my EVO to the track for the first and only time since.. I ran two 14.01's.. That was shifting right at redline.. I was upset at myself since seeing many other guys in the 13's.. I didn't change my driving style since my WRX and Eclipse.. I decided that since it's under warrantee, I'll be very mean, just this one time... I dropped it at redline (ouch) and brought it past redline for each shift, almost hitting rev limiter.. I trapped a 13.52... I was not much happier since I had to almost destroy it to get that time... Never missed, never grinded... Maybe I'm just used to driving manual AWD DSM's or something, I dunno...
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:46 PM

I just picked up my EVO a couple weeks ago. After break-in I've done three hard runs, and every time I couldn't get second. During break-in and normal cruising, it shifts extremely smooth. But during hard acceleration it feels like the syncros are not loading correctly. I'm going to take it in, if it doesn't go away soon. I just sold my S4, and while the six-speed wasn't as crisp, I never had a problem with it.

--JTubbs
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CT9A
More than a few times. Always second gear too.
mine is usually 3rd... i don't think it's a problem with the car... i think i just wasn't used to the gear box...
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never 1st-2nd shift, only 2nd-3rd. every other gear is fine.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:21 AM

I find that I can not shift fast what so ever unless I match the revs, which means I have to take my foot only 3/4 off the throt durring the shift instead of compleatly off. I did find when I shifted that way that I ran 2 thenth of a second faster and I had 1 more mph at the traps.

But over-all for the new evo's tranny!!! Clutch sucks as well!

Tom
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:27 AM

and oh yea my only problem was 1st to 2nd as well

Tom
Old Jul 22, 2003, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

I should get better in time ... mine did. The more miles on the tranny, the more it shifts like butter! I still miss 2nd once in a while when racing, but only because I try to shift a little too fast.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, I just ripped up a "built" mustang.. Supposedly it does a 12.10 in the 1/4-with NOS... I ran through the gears like always and came out victorious.. NO GRINDS OR MISSES... I am gonna drive a friend's EVO later today to see what happens... He says that he never missed before either...
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

I usually miss fourth gear. Done it about 5-6 times so far when racing.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well I drove my friend's red EVO yesterday.. We drove around the areasnormally and all was good.. Once it was warmed up some I got on it pretty hard... NOTHIN... No problems...

My car has 8300 miles on it.. And his has about 2600...

Maybe it's the hot weather down here, I dunno... No grinds or misses.. And he had to bring his in for the 5th gear synchro problem.. It's been fixed and no other tranny problems... No grinds or misses in any gear...
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:15 PM
choad

Sitting at the dealer to address the 1st to second grind as we speak...