Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

miss a gear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm new to driving a manual, and still do not know the up's and downs. Can someone tell me exactly what happens when you miss a gear? Also, if it is the EVO and not the driver, what exactly could be causing this problem?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Youngwise
Okay, I'm new to driving a manual, and still do not know the up's and downs. Can someone tell me exactly what happens when you miss a gear? Also, if it is the EVO and not the driver, what exactly could be causing this problem?
When you "miss" a shift, basically means your driving (usually racing) and you go to shift into next gear and whoops, GRIND. Ive had this happen to me about 4-5 times, when shifting from 1to2nd gear. ALWAYS when pushing the car. Never when im driving normally. I only missed gears in my Eclipse 2or3 times, I had it for 5yrs too, the evo I've only had 5 months or so, and I've doubled that. I talked to a guy at and he said that the clutch couldnt "catch" up to the rpms. But to me, that BS why have this $30K+ car and you cant shift fast, IMO I think it has a little to do with were the clutch grabs too, I've notticed its a lot higher to the top. Anyway my .02cents
Old May 11, 2004, 12:29 AM

who cares how many gear you misses is not like the car gonna break down
Old May 11, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Um ya.....

Either your just being funny or have no idea what your talking about.

If you miss shifts enough , yes your gears will wear, and something on your car will break down....
Old May 11, 2004, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

As everyone else, 1st to 2nd grind here..... Maybe 4 times since I owned it...... about a year...