Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Comparison Cosi's to GSC S1's Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The two cam profiles require different MIVEC mapping. Furthermore you used meth injection on the cosworths. Is that correct?
meth was not used on the comparison dyno graph i posted... it was basically pull out the S1's install the cosi's... install the meth. Tune the meth. Load the S1 tune map, no meth run the Cosi's to see what my chart looks like with just cams.... then turn the meth on and tune on the dyno.

THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A TEST, THIS IS NOT POSTING MISLEADING DATA

This is the differences i experienced just by changing cams, not changing tune or turning the boost down or up. Maybe i did get a bad set of S1's, it happens. Dont pay attention to the AFR's, they were not logged while doing the S1 log because i was using my own wideband in the car to log AFR's for my tune. When i ran the Cosi's my wideband wouldnt let me log so we installed the Dyno wideband into my TP. Both runs, S1 and Cosi, i was running 11.5 AFR to 11.3 or 11.4 by redline, no knock at all... as you can see boost wasnt adjusted to make one higher or lower than the other.

As i said before, this isnt an attempt to say COSIS are this or that or S1's arent a good camshaft.... This is simply a look guys at what i experienced on the dyno, i dont know why it was like that... all i do know is that i made no attempt to make the chart lean towards 1 set of cams or the other. I liked the S1's and I liked everything i have read about them. I hope greg finds out that their is something wrong my cams, at least that would explain why the difference was so big. I dont care if he lies to me and says my cams were messed up lol..... At least it is an explanation. I hope in the end something is discovered. All i know is, on my end, i changed absolutely nothing but the cams.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Greg, not sure if you got my last PM, but need the address where you want the cams mailed to.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when are you going to dyno tune w/meth?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

i already have... i think i emailed you the result... but i will post it here.....

Old Oct 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Man i think u should change WGA forge to B.R. High boost WGA
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

out of curiosity ... why ? my Forge works just fine.... Its my EBC that i need to work on tuning. My boost curve in my before 20G maps looks great, i just need to work on the 20G not creeping and it would be fine... thanks for the input though
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Forge hold till 18psi. or less. and Buching Racing hold till 22 or 23 psi. but it all good. Forge good.

who ur Tuner reflashed ur ECU?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

wastegate pressure with the forge unit is determined by the spring on the inside which is interchangeable unlike the buschur. I have the buschur as well, because it was on my 20G when i got it... i took it off and replaced it with the forge and my boost response seemed better.

My car is flashed by me. I was working with a member from these boards on my last tune when i installed the S1's and needless to say, he is very good at what he does. When i swapped to the cosworth cams, i tuned them and then tuned the meth.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Wether you meant to or not.. this inevitably makes all the noobs think that Cossies are superior & that is just not the whole story...

I got a very similar set up to what you have & there is no way ma s1's are that laggy... ive never dynoed but I know from driving my car.

n
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

well, i thought my issue was because of the 20G and that is why it spooled so late... instead it turned out that a cam swap spools me better than stock with a bigger turbo. Maybe you should do a cam test and see what the cosi's do for you ?

Personally, who cares what the noobs think. That is why there is a search button and it is so stressed to use it. There are many threads posting gains of S1's and Cosi's. This was an unbiased comparison with absolutely nothing changed but the cams. It is not my fault the S1's were not performing as they should have been. And what if when greg looks the cams over he finds nothing wrong ? then what ?

Not to mention your sig probably shows that you are biased...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
Forge hold till 18psi. or less. and Buching Racing hold till 22 or 23 psi. but it all good. Forge good.

who ur Tuner reflashed ur ECU?
You have no clue what you are talking about dude.

Forge Minimum pressure holding is 19-20psi and goes UP with preload.

Buschur does not make any actuators. Forced Performance sources them and Buschur retails them.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigric09
It is not my fault the S1's were not performing as they should have been. And what if when greg looks the cams over he finds nothing wrong ? then what ?

Not to mention your sig probably shows that you are biased...
I helped ric install the gsc and from that point on his car was not preforming at all .
1st night he was not keeping up with a non tuned camed IX (same mods give or take)
Then there was the 1/4 , gcs/20g was .5 secs SLOWER than stock cams/stock turbo .
He has had a time with the GSC's , 2 weeks ago I was trying to talk him into putting the stock cams back in .
It looks like in this case the gsc's were a step DOWN from stock .
Iam just happy for him that his car is runing like it should .
you better beat your best time tonight at the 1/4

Last edited by matt55; Oct 3, 2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Matt...

I dont give up faith in the GSC's quite yet.... im really thinking Greg will find something is a miss with the set i have. There are way too many reports of these cams doing wonderful things. I will be mailing the cams off later this afternoon to Greg and i should know in a couple days if there was in deed something wrong. The car definitely feels 100 times better than it did before. Those cams just really didnt seem to like my 20G at all
Old Oct 3, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

But understand Cossi have High Lift 11mm ish.. and GSC S1 like 10.8ish.. that why Cossi have more power.. im may wrong or going learn something new
Old Oct 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

.2mm is the difference between a high lift cam and not?

Quick Reply: Comparison Cosi's to GSC S1's Evo IX