Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost 1 quart of Oil in 1 week Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it for sure leaking out? Your problem might be in the rings and you might be burning the oil not leaking it? just an idea...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how would i know if im burning oil ???? i mean its driping from the car i can watch it drip there is a puddle about the size of a watermellon in my driveway lol

But i think you might be on to something, i did replace my tensioner because the other one had a chip on it, i'll have to re check that asap i did notice when i took the cover off the tensioner was covered in oil.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think the bolts to the tensioner are all the way through the block into any oil passage. I just rebuilt mine, and I doubt it is there. Now down low, on the balance shaft tensioner, yes. Maybe there, as the pully hole does get into the oil passage. It could be from the cam shaft seals, but I doubt it (unless one was careless when installing cams). The big place, is on the valve cover around the camshaft caps. Manual states that you need to use an RTV type sealant in 6 places around the camshaft caps (the two caps on the timing belt side, and the one exhaust on the flywheel side). My guess would be to start there.

I think the only places on that side that you could get oil slinging on the timing belt would be the balance shaft tensioner bolt, the whole oil pump case, the crankshaft seal, the camshaft seals, the valve cover as stated above, and the dipstick. One thing is for sure, you shouldn't allow oil to contact the timing belt. If it is new, you may get away with cleaning it, especially if it is a nice aftermarket kevlar unit...if it is stock, I would replace it.

Last edited by 56Hotrod; Oct 1, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 56Hotrod
I don't think the bolts to the tensioner are all the way through the block into any oil passage. I just rebuilt mine, and I doubt it is there. Now down low, on the balance shaft tensioner, yes. Maybe there, as the pully hole does get into the oil passage. It could be from the cam shaft seals, but I doubt it (unless one was careless when installing cams). The big place, is on the valve cover around the camshaft caps. Manual states that you need to use an RTV type sealant in 6 places around the camshaft caps (the two caps on the timing belt side, and the one exhaust on the flywheel side). My guess would be to start there.

I think the only places on that side that you could get oil slinging on the timing belt would be the balance shaft tensioner bolt, the whole oil pump case, the crankshaft seal, the camshaft seals, the valve cover as stated above, and the dipstick. One thing is for sure, you shouldn't allow oil to contact the timing belt. If it is new, you may get away with cleaning it, especially if it is a nice aftermarket kevlar unit...if it is stock, I would replace it.
well im not worried about the timing belt at this point honestly thats not even an option right now until i get this leak fixed.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
but I'm saying there is an extra galley or opening in the block

passenger side in the read I believe

it wasn't on the evo viii block

that's why maybe it's the problem
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but i dont have a Evo 8 block nor head lol its all evo9
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
^^ I get what hes saying now the IX block my have an extra hole the VIII didnt. Possible
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

If the tensioner is not tightened all the way IT WILL LEAK. I know from experience..... same deal happened. I think thats the problem here. Especially withthe fact that the oil is leaking from the lower timing belt cover. Pull it apart and check it. If this is the case then good to go. If not then its a good starting point. If its leaking from that area then im 99% sure the oil is coming from under the lower timing belt cover which could only be a few things. Oil pump seal, FMS, CAM SEALS, TENSIONER BOLTS. etc etc You can pull the upper t-belt cover off and look to see if the cam seals are leaking. Im sure its the tensioner.
again it will leak if its not tightened all the way down.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
yeah but i dont have a Evo 8 block nor head lol its all evo9
I'm only speculating here, but the IX is still a 4G63, but witha Mivec head. This would lead me to believe the block is the same.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Ix tensioner bolts go into an oil passage....
Old Oct 6, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

But are you talking the balance shaft tensioner or the timing belt tensioner? I know the 8s balance shaft does, can't say for sure on the timing belt...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 56Hotrod
I'm only speculating here, but the IX is still a 4G63, but witha Mivec head. This would lead me to believe the block is the same.
Block is the same "with more oil / coolant passages.

BTW i found the leak the valve cover gasket had been pinched off onto of the intake came gear where it seals, and was spraying on the back of the intake cam clutch so i couldnt see it coming out. so i ordered a new valvecover gasket and timing belt, because it sliped a tooth while i was trying to work on it so i def changing the belt.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Hooray for my awesome valve cover diagnostic.