Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

i overreved death whine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i overreved death whine

Ok so I overreved and now i have a death whine..

But the wierd thing is I took the transfer case out and the tranny and everything looks fine..the bearings are fine, everyhting checks out..

we micked the tranny and sounded like it was comming from there, we even heard some chattering...but once We took it apart everything looks fine.

any ideas?..The whine is very very loud, much louder then my exhaust. Shouldnt I have spoted the damages?

any ideas I'm lost.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

If I over revved, the first place I would look would be the engine and that's where my money would be on the culprit for the excessive whining noise.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I'm trying to think of things that can cause a constant whining...perhaps the turbo, check the belts? Usually when an engine is over-revved, its the valve-train that goes with some nice loud clicking or perhaps some loud knocking if you messed up the bottom end.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

The engine is fine, atleast from what we've seen..

there is no ticking, no chattering, no knocking no nothing... compression came out fine.. Cylinders were about 5 psi from eachother.

We re-torqued the rod bolts just incase...But so far the engine looks fine aswell.

My mechanic Insist it is comming from the tranny...He miked everything and it was clearly the tranny.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:13 AM

are all your belts and pulleys ok? I remember someone mis-shifting at the drag strip and doing so moved some accessory belt a rib or two off the pulley causing a whining noise..
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
putting stress fractures into a the ring gear doesn't mean you can see them even warping the teeth to the point of whine doesn't mean you can see them either. The noise is caused by the way the teeth interlock with each other if the teeth are bent a little pressure builds and releases rapidly which in turn vibrate then which is transmitted in the form of noise through the bearings.

This process of vibration is called "trasmission error" and small amounts of it usually at light loads are normal for a car. Its when its in the normal operating range like cruising down a highway at 50-80mph that you truely know something is amiss.

Good luck.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

are you still boosting fine? youve checked for turbo damage? a loose licp at the turbo can also cause a whining noise (almost like a supercharger sound).
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the good info "roadspike"
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo150
are you still boosting fine? youve checked for turbo damage? a loose licp at the turbo can also cause a whining noise (almost like a supercharger sound).
it's a 30 minute drive to go to the drag strip here in Ak so on the way back I tested everything out.. I steped on it and the car went, it did seem a little slower( maybe my imagination) but I still spiked 26psi and held it for a little while before I let off..didnt want to damage anything. When I'm in neutral there isnt any noises either.

i'm bumbed because this is worse then not exactly knowing what to replace...I'm in a hard situation.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboIX
it's a 30 minute drive to go to the drag strip here in Ak so on the way back I tested everything out.. I steped on it and the car went, it did seem a little slower( maybe my imagination) but I still spiked 26psi and held it for a little while before I let off..didnt want to damage anything. When I'm in neutral there isnt any noises either.

i'm bumbed because this is worse then not exactly knowing what to replace...I'm in a hard situation.
Your transfer case is going to spin and make noises if its damaged, assuming your moving at this point, whether your in neutral or not. Since you mentioned neutral is making the sound go away I'm starting to suspect the throw out bearing on the clutch.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

My clutch started whining right before it went out the other day. I got my new clutch in, and no more noises. Never heard of it doing that before...but might be the cause?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:38 PM

alot of times the death whine is due to the wrong fluid being used in the transfer case. and sometimes if you use the wrong fluid the transfer case will not whine until the gears start to wear. unfortunetly if its already whining your stuck with need repair, but if you catch it in time you can sometimes save the transfer case. i am in the same situation with a transfer case whine due to wrong fluid from dealer..but i changed with heavy shockproof redline and noise has gotten much quieter.