Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

03 EVO imobilizer location

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 EVO imobilizer location

Where is the imobilizer unit that interacts with the ecu located? Is it in the steering column or on firewall???? I bought an ecu from salvage yard and didnt realize I need the imobilizer unit too!!!! Do you need the same keys too???
Old Oct 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcshoeco
Where is the imobilizer unit that interacts with the ecu located? Is it in the steering column or on firewall???? I bought an ecu from salvage yard and didnt realize I need the imobilizer unit too!!!! Do you need the same keys too???
Assuming you have an ECU and key already you could simply flash the immobilizer code to the new Ecu. You can even flash the immobilizer right out of the picture but i don't exactly recommend that.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 09:48 AM
Account Disabled

Located just above your OBDII plug under drivers side dash,by center console.
I would get it from junk yard and then drive to your local dealer and unplug your original ecu and imobilizer and plug in junk yard ones and have your same keys programmed to your second ecu/imobilizer set up so that both sets will start your car.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by turboDan
Located just above your OBDII plug under drivers side dash,by center console.
I would get it from junk yard and then drive to your local dealer and unplug your original ecu and imobilizer and plug in junk yard ones and have your same keys programmed to your second ecu/imobilizer set up so that both sets will start your car.
Not an option! The car was stripped of ecu and many other parts!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:12 AM

If I put the imobilizer module, ecu, and use the keys from that car it will work right??? I just ordered the cable (tactrix) but dont know enough about programing ecu's to flash out imobilizer code.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

Not an option! The car was stripped of ecu and many other parts!
How are you to use the other keys and get them to turn your ignition cylinder?
Not trying to be a D#CK but it sounds to me that you are trying to Aquire another car with this "junk yard" ecu???
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by turboDan
How are you to use the other keys and get them to turn your ignition cylinder?
Not trying to be a D#CK but it sounds to me that you are trying to Aquire another car with this "junk yard" ecu???
Thought about that after I posted. I have ben e-mailing companies who flash ecus to see if any one will flash out imobilizer code. Any recomendations on who to send to?

Last edited by dcshoeco; Oct 5, 2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
Account Disabled

Sorry,I just read some of your other posts and now realize that you purchased a CAR that was stripped of ecu and Purchased another ecu. I would have to guess that your car has the imobilizer ecu still in it so you need to become "friends" with someone who has a MUT scan tool and have them match imobilizer to ecu or do it like the others and buy the tatrix and do it yourself. Sorry as you were not making all info clear.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

If I put the imobilizer module, ecu, and use the keys from that car it will work right??? I just ordered the cable (tactrix) but dont know enough about programing ecu's to flash out imobilizer code.
Well if you want i can try to help you out on that it looks like you got an evo 8 which i'm more familiar flashing. The Ecuflash forum is also a good source of information for that kind of thing.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:27 AM

I should be getting my cable in the mail next Wednesday. I alredy downloaded ecu flash. Is this a good program to use or should I use Mitsulogger v1.6 Beta 3???
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

As stated in the names of the programs EcuFlash does the writing of the ECU the mitsulogger logs whats happening when its running.

You should have both or some equivalent.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:41 PM

I emailed 6 different places about flashing out imobilizer code and no one will touch it so I am definitly going to have to learn how. I forgot to state before that the dealership is not an option. I went there today to get some help and they told me "You cant reflash your ecu! Its a write once only!". I fought with them for an hour about this and finaly gave up. Total idiots!!!! The next closest dealership is 2 hours away! Not paying to tow that far when an ecu flash is an option.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
write only once? LOL!!!! than how do they update it with TSBs???? retards.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:50 PM

Of corse they want me to buy a new ecu at the bargain price of $890 plus labor to sync it!!!!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:43 PM

Thought about that after I posted. I have ben e-mailing companies who flash ecus to see if any one will flash out imobilizer code. Any recomendations on who to send to?
Works can do it, also my friend and sponsor Aaron can do it (midget spec). If you want you can send out your ecu to us (best auto care) and I can get it done, my friend right before northwest mitsu closed out took all the tools and can sync the immobilizer and ecu but you need the car physically there to do it, i just took out the immobilizer on my rally car.

Last edited by mitsudriver274; Oct 5, 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 EVO imobilizer location