Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo to RX7

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stick with the vo man. but i can see your point of not wanting to drive it in nyc...i live in the burbs of chicago and will never take my car into the city.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a 93 FD Rx7... It was not as comfort for DD as the evo but it's great for a race/track car if you can find another as DD the RX7 is a great car...not too sure about the 13B rotary thought because I'm on my 2nd 13b motor at only 64K on the odometer.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:37 PM

LOL +1 on not bringing the car to nyc. I have to keep mine out of the city. I feel that ill have a bunch of punk teenage kids everynight coming by keying my car, punching my side mirror off and god knows what else. But ive talked to other evo owners in nyc and they said its not as bad as I think. If u have a garage spot and what not in nyc ull b okay. Or even if u park in a driveway u can use a car cover. But if u really are going to sell the evo go invest in a rx-7 and a 76 dollar unlimited metro card ( 1 month). Go anywhere at anytime and as many times as u want =D.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:20 PM

I got my Evo used, in like perfect condition because the only reason the previous owner sold it was he was moving to NYC and didn't want it to get destroyed there.

also

While i was reading this post my buddy was reading over my shoulder, he's a mazda tech. specializing in rotarty maintentance/performance and he has owned two 88's and an 86 FC (one of which he did a 20b swap) and now owns a '93 FD. I had to like beat him back from flamming under my name because of the LS1 swap idea, haha. I kinda like the ls1 swaps i see, it's neat when they are in some car they def. shouldn't be. But i would not trade that rotary sound for anything. I'm probably going to look for an old 80 something rx-7 as my beater soon.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

I work in the city and the evo will never enter there. Keep the paid off car in a garage somewhere and focus on banging the hot chicks. That would be more fun than doing an LS swap! Commute by train & subway. You'll be fine.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

I dont have to worry about the girls....the one i have is amazing. I just really like the idea of having n 11 secong rwd car....but then there are the winters. Im probably going to keep the evo unless my father fully commits to the project. Hes in the middle of an ls1 swap into a 1972 nova so that is where his priorities lye as of now. The rx-7 is so damn sexy though....add the exhaust note and powerband of the ls and its hard not to want to perform the swap. thanks for the input guys
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
The RX7 has a timeless design which most everyone loves. Youll probably like the RX7, but from what ive road in, they are serious rattle traps.
well said---i've owned two rx7's and i couldn't have said it any better
Old Oct 10, 2007, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

well depends on what u want

the rx7 is a beautiful car. it certainly looks better than the evo. its much sportier than an evo. it feels/looks more like a race/sport car. with a ls1 it will be fast and fun

but the evo is a better DD. its fast and confertable and its awd which means it can take cold snowed out winters. it also seats 4 full grown adults comfortably
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
You want to move to the Northeast with a rwd vehicle? You gotta be kidding!
^ Haha! Plus 1
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Before I picked up my first EVO the FD LS1 was a mission of mine. However..... It is very very hard to find an FD that hasn't been in a wreck and parts for those suckers are expensive and rare. If you can fab your own pieces parts then its not too bad but to me time is money. The LS1 swap is a kit so the install is straight forward but if you are going to do the swap its had to stop at your average run of the mill LS1. At least I couldn't do it.... I found myself shopping for $6k motors plus bolts ons and power adders. I eventually decided to attend a regional FD meet. After talking with a few honest fellas that weren't made of money they convinced me that the FD is alot like a bad habbit. Its expensive to maintain and extremely expensive to make like new again. If you want tight suspension, no squeeks, rattles, rust, reliability, ect its gonna cost you. One fella put it like this.... a car is only new once. To make a 14 year old FD feel like new is going to cost as much as buying a new car.

I do all my own work but I hate wrenching on cars. I do it because I don't make alot of money. If swapping an LS1 into an FD is going to cost me nearly as much as a slightly used EVO and force me to get dirty wrenching all the time then forget that.

In the end I decided I like having newer vechicles. I like smell, the perfect paint, the nice tight feel, the point and shoot handling, the superior headlights, the never ending traction, and the maintenance free performance of the EVO.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Oct 10, 2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:10 PM

From my limited experience with that city, I would not bring any car I liked anywhere near it.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

jealous...........
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

don't move to NYC and keep both cars
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

If you can have both why not. The more the merrier
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I'd get both your going to miss the evo.

Quick Reply: Evo to RX7