Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose the Evo over the WRX/STI for the reason I do not like Subaru's manual transmissions and the Subie's feel laggy.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't read any of the posts in this thread but Im sure what I am about to say has already been said.

The reason I chose an EVO vs. the STI or even the R32 (which I was considering at the time) is because of the tunability of the EVO platform and the bulletproof 4g63 iron block engine.

downside STI:
The STI has an aluminum block and are not as easy to work on compared to an EVO.

dowside R32:
the engine is strong but short of making a heafty investment in FI and completly eliminating realiability/warranty there isn't much bolt on power you can add.

downside EVO:
none that I could find.

Over 3 years ago before I bought my EVO I did a T chart listing all the positives and negatives for each and the was the clear winner IMO. I have friends that have both cars (STI & R32), stock and modded, and I still wouldn't trade my EVO for either. I'm very happy with the choice I made and I think I will own this car for a very long time, eventually when I get more room in the garage I'll make this a "track only" vehicle.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin4g63
i went to the dealership to buy an STi and liked it after testdriving it. It felt strong handled ok too. But seemed a lil heavy around corners. As i was leaving the dealership my cousin said why dont u just go for a test drive in one of these evos it would hurt. I was like nah im i have my mind set on STi. Since the Evo and STi dealership was close to eachother i was like what the heck lets just take it for a test drive. I swear i still remember that day. I totally changed my mind after tesdriving it the first time. I almost didnt feel like gettin out the car. I just fell in love with the Evo and started liking it ever since. Went home that night did a lil more research on the Evos Vs STi's and the next day i went for another testdrive on the Evo and i bought it right there right then. I know i have made a wise decision. This is probably one the the decisions i have made in my life time that i DO NOT regret.
good story.

reminds me of when I drove off the lot with my EVO. I can still remember that feeling and that new car smell. what an awesome day that was. Honestly, its more memorable then when I purchased my Z06.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:24 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
never even considered the STi. the evo is legendary!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to buy an sti... but I waited for the evo and my friends got sti's now I have the fastest car!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fatcircles
Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?
Because the 4g63 is the best thing since sliced bread. It beats any Suby box engine hands down.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I picked the STi first thanks to DCCD. Later on when ACD was available I got an RS.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

ok, ive had the 06 sti and now a 06 9 mr. Three words, EVO, EVO, EVO.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:09 AM

STI's are like Mustangs; everyone has one.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Looks, responsivness, response to mods aka my new AMS 2.3l Stroker and gt35r. Oh and the back seat is so much more comfy, and mine has leather and a sunroof! Both of which are heavy obvously and I want to take them out and get better seats!.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

1) The STi is a pig. It is heavy, don't let anyone tell you differently. Not only is it significantly slower from the factory, but it does not respond as well to simple modifications when compared to the EVO.

2) Fit and finish. I disagree with people here who are stating that the STi has equal or better fit and finish. A friend of mine had an STi for two years and over time the dashboard began to rattle so loud that it became annoying. When I drove his car it felt clunky and awkward as I tried to settle the dashboard rattles by pushing where I thought I heard the noise coming from. The interior seems cheap, even more-so than the EVO. If you want to consider ride-quality, his suspension became so rough over time that it was unbearable to ride in on long trips. This is coming from someone who ran a Buddy Club N1 suspension on his RSX-S, one of the stiffest on the market. Oh, and don't forget, no matter what color you buy, you are "gifted" with those god-awful ugly and non-supportive blue seats.

3) Do yourself a favor. Go to a Mitsubishi dealership and DRIVE AN EVO. The second I saw my car in the showroom I was sold, and a test drive only made the decision easier.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 16, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
- what was available between the two used near me in my price range
- the sti's gear was annoyingly short to me
- more power results for less money
- seem easier to work on to me
- i liked the handling alot better
- from the first 5 secs i sat in the drivers seat, the ergonomics just felt right
- WAY more room for wheel and tire fitment

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 16, 2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

because its an Evo

On the real, easier to mod, 4G63 has been around forever
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the biggest reasons was the STi's interior. I simply cannot handle that shade of blue. Awful.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

price....30K out the door for the EVO and 35k out the door for the STI.

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?