Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out in Cali, and especially the Bay Area, everyone and their grandma drives either a STi or WRX. Granted there are a lot of Evos as well, but I don't see one every hour I'm out on the road.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Heshan
Out in Cali, and especially the Bay Area, everyone and their grandma drives either a STi or WRX. Granted there are a lot of Evos as well, but I don't see one every hour I'm out on the road.
Thats very true, I saw alot the past several years I was in the bay area, but not here in dallas
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrsevx
I decided to buy an evo for its engine strength and stock turbo power potential with mods, and of coarse better handling than an sti.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:06 PM

I thought the evo was more comfortable to drive, the interior looks better and the cars steering felt so much better. Plus I didn't want to work in an STI engine bay or with the motor
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

i thought the evo was edgier and handles better.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by subrwho
Evo looks more aggressive, cheaper to mod and make fast.
Yep that pretty much somes it up for me.

I mean a stage 2 STI is like 280-300hp...Stage 1 for an Evo is about 330hp.

I walked a stage 2 STI this past weekend and it made me even happier that I went with the Evo.

Plus I got a good deal on my MR. $32.5k
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by damstr
Yep that pretty much somes it up for me.

I mean a stage 2 STI is like 280-300hp...Stage 1 for an Evo is about 330hp.

I walked a stage 2 STI this past weekend and it made me even happier that I went with the Evo.

Plus I got a good deal on my MR. $32.5k
Stage 2 STIs are not 280-300 hp, they have 300 hp stock. If you meant Wheel horsepower then that depends on what dyno you are talking about. But then again if you are talking about wheel horsepower a Stage 1 EVO is definitely not making 330whp. Evo 8's with cams are barely making 300 whp on Mustang dynos.

I watched EVOs getting tuned at SpeedElement/MPJ Performance for about 8 weeks straight this summer and that was the norm.

Just looking at your Sig I can see how that does not make any sense. You are not even making 330 and you are stage 2 with a Fuel Pump and boost controller along with a tune, so I don't get where you came up with what you said earlier.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fatcircles
Stage 2 STIs are not 280-300 hp, they have 300 hp stock. If you meant Wheel horsepower then that depends on what dyno you are talking about. But then again if you are talking about wheel horsepower a Stage 1 EVO is definitely not making 330whp. Evo 8's with cams are barely making 300 whp on Mustang dynos.

I watched EVOs getting tuned at SpeedElement/MPJ Performance for about 8 weeks straight this summer and that was the norm.

Just looking at your Sig I can see how that does not make any sense. You are not even making 330 and you are stage 2 with a Fuel Pump and boost controller along with a tune, so I don't get where you came up with what you said earlier.
What about Evo 9 ? From what I've been reading here, turboback exhaust+MBC+filter+good tune= ~330 hp. (I think it was awhp)

Also: http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=897
Automotosports stage one for Mitsubishi Evolution IX is the first step in improving the performance of your Evo bringing it up from the stock 286HP to around 345 to 365 HP on 93 octane.
I think 365 crank horsepower is close to 330 all wheel horse power?

******Of course it all depends on the type of dyno used********

the reasons why I chose evo over the STI are:

-Looks better (my opinion)
-Evo stock handling > STI
-Interior space (rear compartmentis larger in the EVO than the STI)

I like how the new STI's look, but the best one is the P1 STI and the worst is the 2004 model year.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Oct 23, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
What about Evo 9 ? From what I've been reading here, turboback exhaust+MBC+filter+good tune= ~330 hp. (I think it was awhp)

Also: http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=897

I think 365 crank horsepower is close to 330 all wheel horse power?

******Of course it all depends on the type of dyno used********

the reasons why I chose evo over the STI are:

-Looks better (my opinion)
-Evo stock handling > STI
-Interior space (rear compartmentis larger in the EVO than the STI)

I like how the new STI's look, but the best one is the P1 STI and the worst is the 2004 model year.
Yea, the EVO 9 definitely has more power than the 8, I was just saying

And I don't know how much the EVOs powertrain loss is but for the STi that puts out 300 crank HP the mustang dynos usually put them down around 215 awhp which is a huge amount less. The reason you might not see Stage 2 STis hitting 300 whp is because of these dynos
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, the EVO 9 definitely has more power than the 8, I was just saying
Yet another reason I sold the STi and later bought an EVO IX. I also like the looks and potential of the IX over the 8.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
Yet another reason I sold the STi and later bought an EVO IX. I also like the looks and potential of the IX over the 8.
Yep, I only wish I test drove an EVO before I bought the STi
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ at least its not a honda
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, I only wish I test drove an EVO before I bought the STi
I'm not trying to knock the STi. It was a great car for me. I was very fast with it at the AutoX and roadcourse. Oh and I still can't launch my EVO like I did my STi. Since I've gotten a few AutoXs under my belt in the EVO I'm getting used to it and it feels better to me. Stock for stock I felt like I had to really fight the STi to do what I wanted with it (handling) whereas the EVO is point and shoot. The EVO can attack a corner with more speed, but the STi felt a little more powerful coming out of low speed corners (low end torque).

One of the turning points for me was at one of my last AutoXs with my STi. After my 4 runs for the day a guy with a stock EVO 8 MR and I swapped cars for a "fun run." I had NEVER driven an EVO in my life...we didn't launch each others' cars and we both took turns riding with each other. I still beat my best time in my STi by a full second in the EVO on a 30.X second course. That really opened my eyes to the EVO. The car did what I asked it to do when I turned the steering wheel.

I was a fan of both Subaru and Mitsu from their WRC roots. As far as looks go...I've always liked the JDM EVO VII. When we got the USDM 8 I was a little dissapointed in the looks (Pontiac looking front). The IX reminds me of the VII with a similar front clip...now I like the IX better than the VII (but the VII tails are the only ones to have IMO).

Either way both cars compliment each other. They make for a great rivalry and continue to keep both Mitsu and Subaru on their toes. I think ultimately it comes down to personal preference. Who knows...maybe the new STi will be better than the EVO X. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; Oct 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

lovethe looks mod friendly(cheaper)..
and since i was a kid..i fellinlovewith the evo... now im living the dream of having one... and imloving every singleday of having my evo...haha sounds cheesy but true
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:26 PM

too many wrx here in CO

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?