Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think suby is a stronger car when you compare both cars as far mechanical stock to stock. BUT evo is cheaper to make it fast, easy to take everything apart... lol look at our dashboard.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wanted an evo since i seen a picture of the 3. then i seen the 6 sometime later and thought if i ever had a way one day i will have one. i was big into water cooled vdubs at the time. and in 02 i got an oz lancer. i figured this would be as close as i would get to an evo. then in 03 they came to america. then i realized i couldnt affourd the beast. in 05 i got a ralliart lancer. one tiny step closer. then this year i got a pretty good job where i work and said its either a new wrx or a used 05 evo. glad i went the evo it really is my dream car. awww
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:18 PM

Simple the STI sucks
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:49 PM

Well, like most I knew of the STI. I had also viewed the Evo at the New York Auto Show and seeing the H.P. numbers compared to the STI and dismissed the Evo as a poor imitation. Then I became serious and did more research. I didn't know the Evo's heritage at first. Most of the magazine and video reviews indicated the Evo to be the more pure rally car. Then after viewing some of the information on Group N racing and other similar rally events came to realize that the Evo was the real deal. When I found out that these beasts are underrated for H.P. I said wow, just like the old muscle cars I knew and loved. Oddly, the thing that sealed the deal for me was the interior (2006) with the Recaro seats and faux carbon dash. I know most hate the cheap Evo interior, but the STI is not all that better. After some of the cars I lived with in the past, the Evo interior is pure luxury. As this car is not my daily driver, the STI being a "better" daily driver never came into play.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by pkradgreek
i got 0% apr for 60 months on the EVO
wow, how'd you pull that off?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Because pulling 1.6 60' is still 13s in a STi.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went to the dealership to buy an STi and liked it after testdriving it. It felt strong handled ok too. But seemed a lil heavy around corners. As i was leaving the dealership my cousin said why dont u just go for a test drive in one of these evos it would hurt. I was like nah im i have my mind set on STi. Since the Evo and STi dealership was close to eachother i was like what the heck lets just take it for a test drive. I swear i still remember that day. I totally changed my mind after tesdriving it the first time. I almost didnt feel like gettin out the car. I just fell in love with the Evo and started liking it ever since. Went home that night did a lil more research on the Evos Vs STi's and the next day i went for another testdrive on the Evo and i bought it right there right then. I know i have made a wise decision. This is probably one the the decisions i have made in my life time that i DO NOT regret.

I LOVE MY EVO....

Evo just feels a whole lot better than the freakin STi....now i hate STi's. lol

So everyone who owns an EVO give ur self a pat on ur back you guys made one heck of a wise decision.

Much Love to all the Evo Members.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by derangedazn
Because pulling 1.6 60' is still 13s in a STi.
And yet there have been 1.6 60' on a stock turbo that have made it to the 11's in an STi. With a bad launch too.

Edit: But it WAS with 100 octane not 91.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i didnt really have to choose. my brother had the sti so it made sense to get the evo
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fatcircles
And yet there have been 1.6 60' on a stock turbo that have made it to the 11's in an STi. With a bad launch too.

Edit: But it WAS with 100 octane not 91.
I was talking about bone stock cars....not modded ones. same thing can be said about "stock turbo" evos.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I do what Jeremy Clarkson says.

Actually, the real reason I went with the Evo is for its handling characteristics and the price per hp when it comes to modding. Evo's require fewer mods than an STi to make similar hp/tq gains.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After watching this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5lJwlUJU-f8

and I sold my soul to the devil.....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:32 PM

One of my friends had one that went high 11's on the stock turbo and he let medrive it around a few times. It surprised the hell out of me, especially how tight the steering is. I always liked the car, but I was thinking about it in a whole new light after that.

Also the STI's power band is nowhere near as the evo's for drag racing which is what I am into.

-Andrew
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

1 word....price.....evo was slightly cheaper.....a week later sti's went on sale.....for 29K....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled

I just plain like the evo more. Everything about it, from the tires to the trim.

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?