Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?

Besides looks.

I know alot of people either go for one of the other, and they are relatively in the same price range. What were your reasons?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Evo looks more aggressive, cheaper to mod and make fast.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:00 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fatcircles
Besides looks.

I know alot of people either go for one of the other, and they are relatively in the same price range. What were your reasons?

I decided to buy an evo for its engine strength and stock turbo power potential with mods, and of coarse better handling than an sti.

Last edited by chrsevx; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by subrwho
Evo looks more aggressive, cheaper to mod and make fast.
I guess he missed the part besides looks.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:06 AM

im not gonna lie.. i used to LOVE sti's.. i would print pix of sti's exterior&interior and put them all over my notebooks and folders (no im not gay) and stuff.. i had their posters and toy cars!! but then i got to drive a frend's evo.. it just handled better, rode better, and i started to think it looked better (it does!! ^ ^) so yea.. thats why i just HAD to buy the evo and join this totally cool forum called EVOM!!!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrsevx
I guess he missed the part besides looks.
No actually I put that in there because theres only two reasons why I chose the evo. . cheaper to mod and looks a little more aggressive. . but all in all I would trade for an sti..
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru dealer was an a**hole, met a design rep from Mitsubishi and told him my story, met the lady that put on a "employee purchase program sponsorship", and BAMMMM!!! gots me a evo for 30k out the door...with a full tank of gas heheheeh!!!

oh, and the family is a Mitsu family...6 cars and trucks over the years..

Last edited by badhabit90; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by subrwho
No actually I put that in there because theres only two reasons why I chose the evo. . cheaper to mod and looks a little more aggressive. . but all in all I would trade for an sti..
I would also trade for an sti a little extra displacement never hurt.

Last edited by chrsevx; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

I actually got mine cause my buddy had just got his STI. He never test drove an Evo even though I recommended that he try the competition first. So to "prove a point" I test drove the Evo and left the dealership a few hours later with the car.

Also, at the time there were numerous STIs at work and no Evos. Wouldn't you know there are at least 3 other Evos in the parking garage now! To top that off, I thought GG would be more popular so I went with AS. 2 of those other 3 Evos in my work's parking garage are also AS, ffs!

I still like my AS, but GG could stand for "Greener Grass" on the other side.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

Test drove a mildly modded STi from a dealership and loved, but once i drove an Evo and felt how sharp it was that was it man... Game over. The STi's do seem to be more reliable though and for a DD the STi would seem to be the better car.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt know the 10 year warranty was bull$hit. Cheaper to mod, i got comfortable in it pretty quick and i've just always wanted an evo since i was likd 6-7 years old.

Cbeers!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Besides looks... Everyone already had an STi, COBB is local...
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from the exhaust note, the Evo has proven to be better in every aspect.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

I've been lucky enough to own both. I had an 04 STI prior to owning my IX SE. There are positives and negatives with both cars. If you do some searching I know you will find plenty of threads just like this. The following is my opinion and somewhat of a review:

Modding:
Evo > STI

The Evo is cheaper to make fast, but that all depends on how crazy you want to get with the car. If you are content with the hp the stock turbo will get you then yes it is cheaper to mod. After that though the evo catchs up with the STI and it can quickly become a wash as to which costs more to mod. Turbo kits and all of the supporting mods that come with them get to be pretty pricey. In the end though the Evo is capable of making more power!

Engine:
Evo > STI

The 4G63 is a proven engine that can handle lots of abuse and can handle more HP overall when compared to the EJ257 boxer motor of the STI. Now don't get me wrong the EJ257 is no slouch. There are quite a few STIs out there running around with close to 500whp with stock internals, but the Subi motor doesn't seem to hold up to detonation as well as the evo motor and the weak point of the EJ257 is the ringlands and pistons. Now there are quite a few Evo guys pushing 500-600 whp on stock internals, but most on here agree that 500whp is pushing the limit of the stock bottom end. It seems to me that most evo motor failures are due to over revving which can stretch the rod bolts. The Evo motor is certainly easier to work on when compared to the STI. You swap out the bottom end of the 4G63 without even removing it from the car. The EJ257 boxer motor can be a pain to do anything with.

Drivetrain:

STI > Evo

Now of course there are quite a few guys on here that are making a ton of power and they are still on the stock tranny and transfer case, but I find a lot more " I have tranny issues" threads on here compared to the STI forums. I owned an STI for 2 years, and am still very active on the STI forums today and I still couldn't refer you to a place to have your tranny rebuilt. There are a few STIs making 600-700 whp that are still on the stock tranny. On here everyone learns or knows that its Shep, TRE, and now the Bushwacker tranny and transfer case rebuilds FTW. If you drive the two cars you will automatically feel the difference between the two. The Evo tranny is very notchy compared to the STI tranny.

Handling:

Evo > STI

The isn't much to explain here except that the Evo stock vs. stock will out handle the STI. The evo has very quick steering, and tends to wander the road if you are not paying attention at all times. The only thing I don't like about the evo is its turning radius. I find myself making three point turns in situations where I could easily just do a u-turn in the STI . Ok that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but still it definately doesn't turn as tight as the STI.

Ride Quality:

Evo > STI

There have been many improvements over the years since the 04 STI came out, but I recently drove a friends 07 STI, and on certain roads I still got the pogo stick ride that my 04 had, but not as bad. I hated the ride quality of my 04 STI. If there were any cyclic roadways or highways, you would be bouncing up and down in the seat. I read a few threads about some people actually getting sick to thier stomachs. The evo doesn't even notice the cyclic roadways, but it certainly notices joints and cracks. It really isn't anymore jarring though than the STI.

Interior:

Evo = STI

Ok a lot of people on the "good side of the force" (STI owners) tend to look down upon the Evo interior. I on the other hand really think it is right there with the STIs with a few exceptions.

Stereo Evo > STI
Seats Evo > STI (unless you are to BIG to fit into them)
Gauge cluster STI > Evo
Fit and finish STI = Evo
HVAC STI > Evo

Warranty issues:

STI > Evo

Subaru is a little better at taking care of warranty issues even with mods on the car. Plus Subaru is now selling thier own line of aftermarket parts, and there are quite a few dealers that sell Cobb and Perrin products right out of there service departments . This doesn't mean though that you won't run into warranty issues with Subaru as many people have. I really think its a matter of luck as to how good your local stealership is with honoring your warranty if you are modding the car.

Last edited by evilempire76; Oct 15, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

The area I live in subaru rules. Everyone has one, the mom has a outback wagon, kids drive wrx so for me part of it was not going with the crowd. Love the aggressive look as well

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the EVO over the STi?