Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Immediatly blowing 7.5 fuse in engine bay when i replace it. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just replace the fuse with a higher amp fuse. Don't worry, it'll only cause you're car to catch on fire.

Check what that fuse is for and then try to figure out how you could have affected those components in the past. It's usually always a faulty ground or incorrectly spliced wires.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what ever is blowing the fuse, is something recieving power at all times (if it blows soon as you install the fuse with the switch off and key off). what in your car has voltage available at all times???
Old Oct 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

with everything off, if it blows immediately..... your short is before any switches of loads. if it blows after turning on a switch it is in the wiring after the switch or the load component itself............. it is definately not a ground circuit..... ground circuit problems cause things not to work, work poorly, or work when they shouldn't
Old May 30, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

i have to bring this thread back.
i replace fuse 20. (7.5) And after a few days then a few hours today it blows out. but i can use it for a while then it blows. the first time it blew it blew my pass. tail lights/brake lights. i havent done anything to the car recently that would alter anything. where else is there for me to check?
Old May 30, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

You're going to have to check all of your electrical connections. Something is being shorted somewhere. Usually it is the last few places that you have messed with.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:39 PM

You could try putting a 10 amp fuse and see if it still pops it.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnnyddn
You could try putting a 10 amp fuse and see if it still pops it.
Whats with people suggesting a bigger amp fuse??? The most stupid idea to fix this type of problem. This is how your car catches on fire!
Old May 30, 2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Whats with people suggesting a bigger amp fuse??? The most stupid idea to fix this type of problem. This is how your car catches on fire!
I'm only recommending he goes up 2.5 amps, i'm positive that's not going to cause a fire.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:51 PM

Do not use a higher amp fuse, use a 7.5 circuit breaker across the terminals to isolate the short. You have a power feed wire shorting to ground without the key on. Where are you in the Bay Area.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know it's been mentioned, but check the head unit. I replaced mine and it ran fine for over a year and a half and all of a sudden one of my 7.5 amp fuses blew. One of the wires snagged against metal and after time, I guess it took the rubber casing off and hit the metal, causing the short. Good luck with it.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

DON'T PUT IN A LARGER AMPERAGE FUSE! You are only asking to blow an electrical component or start a fire. First disconnect all components tapped into that fuse. Then trace the wires that are associated with that fuse. You will find a wire exposed due to wetness that is grounding out or bare wire touching metal that is the issue.

Jesus... sometimes people's suggestions on EvoM scare me. Don't put stupid advice out there if you don't know what your talking about. Even putting a 10 amp fuse in isn't going to help at all. If the fuse blows as soon as he puts it in then it has nothing to do with the components that aren't powered up, it is a grounding fault or an issue of crossed wires somewhere in the stock wiring of the components listed above...

To johnnydn, it doesn't matter if it is only a few amps larger of a fuse. Mitsubishi designed that electrical system the way it is FOR A REASON. All components on that fuse can take up to a MAX of 7.5 amps current. Anything higher and you risk frying the actual electrical component itself, causing a short and possibly a fire from over heating due to the overloaded circuit. So it doesn't pop the fuse... it will pop the component itself, like the headlight, or anything else running off of it. Just because the fuse doesn't blow doesn't mean that everything hooked up to it wont... Food for thought...

Last edited by buchnerj; May 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

when i hit a hard bump it pops the fuse. still haven't located it yet. yeah i wouldnt put in a larger fuse regardless only have 2 more 7.5 left
Old May 31, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
when i hit a hard bump it pops the fuse. still haven't located it yet. yeah i wouldnt put in a larger fuse regardless only have 2 more 7.5 left
This tells you most likely it is an exposed wire that is moving around somewhere in the console. When you move the car drastically it moves the wire and it grounds out to the chassis.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

try the orange connector on your radio. its an accessory wire. thats what happened to mine
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
Check your O2 sensor wires near your cat...as well as other places mentioned by other users on here.

Quick Reply: Immediatly blowing 7.5 fuse in engine bay when i replace it. Help!