Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Immediatly blowing 7.5 fuse in engine bay when i replace it. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Immediatly blowing 7.5 fuse in engine bay when i replace it. Help!

Here is my problem. All of my interior and half of my exterior lights went out last night. This morning i checked the fuses in the engine bay and found one of the 7.5 fuses to be blowin. I replaced it with a new fuse and it immediately blew it.

So what is my best option? Do i need to check every single electronic part i installed? Any advice from you guys who have been through this would be much appreciated. thanks
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First question I usually ask is; what was the last thing I did to my car, and then work backwards from there.

Also since it is immediate, it's kind of a good thing, since if you have to chase wires you'll know it when you find it, as opposed to looking for something the is and intermittent short.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which 7.5 amp blew....

What's the last thing you did to the car.... chances are it's near what the short is.

If you didn't do anything, take it to the dealer, you're under waranty.

[smart *** answer] Just plug in the largest fuse you can, and look for the smoke... that's where your short is [/smart *** answer]

PS... don't do the last suggestion
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

i havnt done any electrical stuff in my car for a least a couple months. This happened last night, coincidently it was the first night of hard rain this year. (dont know if that connected or not)
But i do have a v1, ebc, defi unit, and other misc electrical crap in the car. Should i rip out all my panels and chase down the positive and neg wires?

BTW its the 7.5 amp fuse in the engine bay next to another 7.5amp fuse, they are labble with a little light icon on the fuse cover.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Your o2 sensor underneath on test pipe is hitting the frame of the car and blowing the fuse....Wrap o2 sensor in electric tape should fix you right up!!!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OtownEvo
Your o2 sensor underneath on test pipe is hitting the frame of the car and blowing the fuse....Wrap o2 sensor in electric tape should fix you right up!!!
Di you have the same lights go out when this happened to you?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

No its not my 02 sensor, just checked it and its not making contact with anything, and no wires are exposed.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

that happen to me...the all the parking light on the right side of the car is out and the lights on the climate control is out. i replace it with another fuse and it find...but u have a short somewhere...does the fuse blow even if u dont even turn on the park lights? never check for a short by putting in a higher amperage fuse.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

yes it blows immediately when replaced, with the lights off.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Here is what u need to look at cause the fuse u are blowing controls the following:

Headlight Assy(position:RH), rear combination lights, a/c-ecu, heater control unit, audio unit, clock, cigarette lighter illumination light, ashtray illumination light, combination meter, hazard switch, fog lamp switch, acd mode switch, intercooler water spray switch, headlight leveling switch, generic spare connector, spare audio connector.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

u need to check all the electrical devices that you hookup to that circuit...check all the power wires and make sure it not expose and touching ground.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by KcEvil8
u need to check all the electrical devices that you hookup to that circuit...check all the power wires and make sure it not expose and touching ground.
+1. also if you have multiple things running on the same line, a 7.5 fuse is kind of weak. Try putting a 10 or even a 15 in there and see if the problem still happens. If you don't have anything extra tapped into that fuse line, well then i don't know what to tell you

Last edited by Prestine8; Oct 13, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: bc i dont know how to spell
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think putting in a 10 and 15amp fuse will help..cause it blew even with everything turn off..so it not overloading the fuse. just like i said before..check everything u have hookup to that circuit and if everything check out ok..then u need to trace the wire and look for a short...it better to have the wiring diagram for that circuit.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

This happened to me after I pulled my cd player out to run remote, and rca wires. What had happened is that the orange (dimmer signal) had 1, yes 1 strand of wire sticking 1/16" out of the casing and was grounding out on the metal behind the cd player. Cut the end off and never blew a fuse again.

Quick Reply: Immediatly blowing 7.5 fuse in engine bay when i replace it. Help!