Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would you want an Evo 8 with SportTronic?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Secret Chimp
An auto trans in the Evo? huhu...NO!

Well, not unless Mitsubshi thinks they have an untapped market with the handicapped and lazy crowd....and it sounds like Defeated26 is the second of my choices. :P

D00d! If you want to learn manual...go buy a manual car. Then tell the salesguy you aren't good at driving 5-spds yet, and he'll give you pointers.

SC~

I guess I fall in the first category. While I can drive a manual with no problem on the street or short autox course. I refuse to drive my manual car on the track. Due to my handicap it would not only be dangerous to me but also others.

From what I've read the "automatic" in the GT-A version of the EVO is optimized for downshifts. Meaning it will down shift as soon as you pull on the never. That is much more important than upshift on the track.

So I maybe the only one but I am waiting and hoping that Mitsu brings over the GT-A version.

Also it would potentially increase sales. Now house wives can buy the car since it comes with an auto. Increased sales = more money for Mitsu, who hopefully will use it to improve the EVO even more.

my 2 cents.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:25 AM

uhhhh......................... NO
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

no auto for me.... Been driving a manual since I was 16 and I don't ever want any car with an auto
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

what the hell..house wives??

Man I want some of what you are smoking
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo has never been, and probably will never be a car that Mitsu makes for profit. So there is no need for them to cater to the special needs of a very few people amongst an already small demographic of car owners. Should they then also soften up the suspension because these housewives think Evos are too harsh? Maybe offer a lipstick dispenser in place of the cig lighter? Maybe offer some wheelchair access ramps too? Maybe onboard oxygen for owners with emphysema? There is no need for them to accomodate more people with their car design. Mitsu will sell every Evo it makes regardless.

Talking on Cell phones while driving is dangerous...and is outlawed in many places. Driving an auto doesn't make it any safer.

The only people who will say that tip-tronic type shifting is a good thing, are people who;

1. (people who) can't physically drive manuals.
2. (people who) have never actually raced a car at any event. An Evo is a waste of a car if it never actually sees the track (drag or course)
3. (people who) like form over function....and people who would rather cruise the streets and pose for the ladies than figure out how to get around the course faster.
4. (people who) have never actually driven a car that is equipped with an autoshift. They do not shift at optimal points for performance....they often auto upshift to the next gear at a given RPM even if you are using it in it's manual mode. The only cars that have nice shifting (auto)set-ups are Ferrari's and the E46 M3....and those are expensive set-ups that you won't see for years in a Mitsu.

And before the 1970's musclecar metaphor is brought up...most cars in the 70's were Auto due to the fact that the Manual trannys at the time were more expensive and couldn't always handle the higher hp numbers.

SC~
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jamdown
what the hell..house wives??

Man I want some of what you are smoking
Bahahaha

Get real people, automatics are for slow cars and lazy people.
Oh and in the paddle shift Ferrari is still a manual trans not an auto with buttons. Driving a manual trans is easy you just have to learn, take you all of about 20 minutes to figure out? If your not willing to do that then you are lazy.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:07 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by onet0nsoup
what kind of ferraris are we talking bout?......360?....its like the crappest **** amoung their lineup.....do you see f**king enzo come with auto?....oh yea...and all those track car should come with auto too right....they are high dollars....high performance car.....i am just saying auto and performance car dont go together.....so dont even bring up ferraris and lambos....
Where do most people know the Evo from? Where does its heritage lie? Hmmm... rally racing? Even though the Evo is not taking part in the WRC this year, what type of transmission did the Evo 7 have last year? What type of transmission will the Evo 8 have next year? But, those rally cars aren't really performance cars right?

And yes, I know I'm talking about a transmission setup that costs more than a couple of Ferraris - just making a point.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:13 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat
Oh and in the paddle shift Ferrari is still a manual trans not an auto with buttons.
How is it manual? Do you press the clutch and hold it before changing gear and release it once it is in gear? I'll help you out - no. The Ferrari box is actually slow in upshifts, but it does blip the throttle for you when it performs downshifts which is cool.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by the evo wins
You get an evo 8 because it is a fun performance car to drive....if you want a boring car get an STi or an evo with "sporttronic"
Must you hate on the STi every chance you get?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by UFO

Where do most people know the Evo from? Where does its heritage lie? Hmmm... rally racing? Even though the Evo is not taking part in the WRC this year, what type of transmission did the Evo 7 have last year? What type of transmission will the Evo 8 have next year? But, those rally cars aren't really performance cars right?

And yes, I know I'm talking about a transmission setup that costs more than a couple of Ferraris - just making a point.
The WRC cars have paddle shifted MANUAL transmissions. It's through gizmodgery that they don't need to use a clutch pedal....no slush box like on an automatic. And those trannys need rebuilding after each event btw.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Jul 11, 2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by UFO

How is it manual? Do you press the clutch and hold it before changing gear and release it once it is in gear? I'll help you out - no. The Ferrari box is actually slow in upshifts, but it does blip the throttle for you when it performs downshifts which is cool.

Define a an automatic transmission for me!
The is no torque converter of pump in a Ferrari or a Rally Car!
The use a clutch actuator to actuate the clutch as needed.
It is NOT automatic transmission, it is a manual with electronics.
Tell me, the rally cars lose their hydraulic and do what? Change to maunal shift? GET A CLUE!

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Jul 11, 2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

beat ya by a minute timzcat!

SC~
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Post deleted due to angry inappropriate language. SC~
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Oh sure thanks Secret Chimp.
If I knew you were going to respond I could have saved my blood pressure.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by defeated26
[B]Post deleted due to angry inappropriate language. SC~ QUOTE]

Would I buy an EVO with auto tranny? No
Do I think it's a good idea to have an auto tranny in an EVO? Yes

How is that?