Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost my only key!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lost my key before. Instead of towing my car to the dealer, I had them cut me a key without the transponder and they gave me directions how to start the car by tapping out a code using the brake pedal.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:12 AM

i'm with him. but you can have a locksmith do it but it will cost more. i charge 51.41 for key (26.78 evom discount) and service charges 45.00 to program
Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy
Because you have a transponder key, you will need to have your car towed to a dealership where they will give you a new key and have the ECU flashed for the key. You cannot program a new key to the ECU through the traditional way without 2 working keys.

Sorry dude. It will cost about $45 for the new key, and anywhere from $50-$100 for the ECU flash
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:15 AM

o and you wont need new door locks or anything i cut the keys with a key code i get from the vin to match the car.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jonasan50
You should just be able to give them the VIN number and they can match it that way.. All the locks have a separate code for which cars have which locks in them.. I believe from what my father-in-law told me (ex-locksmith) that every year car has only 10 different locks in them.. But there are so many cars out there that it's nearly impossible to find another car with you matching lock.. Weird huh..
Seems like if that were the case no matter how many were built the chance would still be 1 in 10.

But I have to say I have never tried my key in another evo.

Also i think you can get a non transponder key cut and you can use it to get to the dealer, I think there is a provision to allow you to start the car 3 times, but you need to enter some sort of code each time, might need to check the manual, I may be wrong.

I just looked in the service manual, must have seen it in the owners manual.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:36 PM

you could by a non transponder from the dealer but save money buy the transponder key use that to get it to the dealer and give it back so they can program it. so you only have to buy one key rather two which one would only unlock to doors and only let it run long enough till the pcm figured out that their is no chip. i tried it once on a outlander i cut the key and tried to use it to drive in the shop and didnt make it. lol
[/I]
Originally Posted by mis4tun81
Seems like if that were the case no matter how many were built the chance would still be 1 in 10.

But I have to say I have never tried my key in another evo.

Also i think you can get a non transponder key cut and you can use it to get to the dealer, I think there is a provision to allow you to start the car 3 times, but you need to enter some sort of code each time, might need to check the manual, I may be wrong.

I just looked in the service manual, must have seen it in the owners manual.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WalpoleMitsu
you could by a non transponder from the dealer but save money buy the transponder key use that to get it to the dealer and give it back so they can program it. so you only have to buy one key rather two which one would only unlock to doors and only let it run long enough till the pcm figured out that their is no chip. i tried it once on a outlander i cut the key and tried to use it to drive in the shop and didnt make it. lol
[/I]
I was hoping someone would have a comment, my owners manual is at home.

So based on your experience you can use a keyed but not programmed transponder key or a not transponder key to start the car, but it only runs for a certain period of time?

And that makes sense, skip the dumb key and get a non programmed transponder key to limp it to the dealer.

I thought there was a code you pressed in with the brake or gas pedal or something that let you drive it, I assumed it was till you shut it off, but it only started 3 times till it required a transponder key to start?

Need to find my manual when I get home, I'm just too curious.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:00 PM

their is a way to over ride. ok ok. but it is different for every car. some times hit the brake twice turn the key on and off once and it will override. but it only works once every time you start it you got to do it again. and their is only one way to get code. but keep this info on the d.l thats why i didnt want to say anything. just here for helpful correct info...holla if you need the key and i'll hook you up with the overide. if you want to go that route
Originally Posted by mis4tun81
I was hoping someone would have a comment, my owners manual is at home.

So based on your experience you can use a keyed but not programmed transponder key or a not transponder key to start the car, but it only runs for a certain period of time?

And that makes sense, skip the dumb key and get a non programmed transponder key to limp it to the dealer.

I thought there was a code you pressed in with the brake or gas pedal or something that let you drive it, I assumed it was till you shut it off, but it only started 3 times till it required a transponder key to start?

Need to find my manual when I get home, I'm just too curious.

Last edited by WalpoleMitsu; Oct 18, 2007 at 01:17 PM.