Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lost my only key!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my only key!

Somehow I lost my only key to the Evo (at least it's safely in the garage). Any ideas about getting new keys/alarm remote? Will the car need new ignition lock/door locks, etc. or can the dealer match the key to the VIN? Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
that sucks wheres the other key?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:05 PM

call a locksmith, they should be able to cut a key for 50-60$.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:06 PM

My house was robbed in Feb '07 and they stole some of my keys. I think they were going to leave in the Evo (with the 2.4L and 3065 it's a pretty good get-away car) but got interrupted and fled before they could get it out of the garage.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:13 PM

When you got your car, there should have been a little tag with a number on it, take that to the dealer and have a new key made, the number is matched to your car and the new key has to be programed.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:14 PM

You can get new keyless remotes from midwestkeyless.com on ebay. They are only about 20 bucks.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
Account Disabled

Because you have a transponder key, you will need to have your car towed to a dealership where they will give you a new key and have the ECU flashed for the key. You cannot program a new key to the ECU through the traditional way without 2 working keys.

Sorry dude. It will cost about $45 for the new key, and anywhere from $50-$100 for the ECU flash
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy
Because you have a transponder key, you will need to have your car towed to a dealership where they will give you a new key and have the ECU flashed for the key. You cannot program a new key to the ECU through the traditional way without 2 working keys.

Sorry dude. It will cost about $45 for the new key, and anywhere from $50-$100 for the ECU flash
I only had one key when I first got my car, called the locksmith and it cost me 80 bucks to have a new key made, that was after tax with a mitsubishi key. They have a scanner that hooks to the dlc and lets them do whatever they do. I'd call a local locksmith and see if any of them have the special tool. Instead of having it towed you could have one of them make a housecall.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:35 PM

****ty man, weren't you at all worried they would come back and just steal the Evo if they already had the keys?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:55 PM

I moved out of that house (never felt the same after someone broke in) so I wasn't too worried about the Evo. I have two agressive Rottweilers and the house never got touched while they were there, but they weren't there when the house got hit - 'strange', huh? I am trying to avoid having the car towed to the dealer - I'm sure the carbon lip wouldn't last too long and I cringe thinking what the dealer monkeys do to modified Evo's.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i only have 1 key also...gotta get another made and programmed. I have a homedepot copy just in case the keys ever get locked in while working on the car.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:00 AM

my wife said she wanted some more diamonds, so i gave her a key to the evo and told her not to ask for anymore diamonds
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

You should just be able to give them the VIN number and they can match it that way.. All the locks have a separate code for which cars have which locks in them.. I believe from what my father-in-law told me (ex-locksmith) that every year car has only 10 different locks in them.. But there are so many cars out there that it's nearly impossible to find another car with you matching lock.. Weird huh..
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by R2RS
my wife said she wanted some more diamonds, so i gave her a key to the evo and told her not to ask for anymore diamonds
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonasan50
You should just be able to give them the VIN number and they can match it that way.. All the locks have a separate code for which cars have which locks in them.. I believe from what my father-in-law told me (ex-locksmith) that every year car has only 10 different locks in them.. But there are so many cars out there that it's nearly impossible to find another car with you matching lock.. Weird huh..
I dont think dealerships do that anymore due to theft of cars even if you do show proof of ownership.

Quick Reply: Lost my only key!