Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is The Stock Muffler Illegal?????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
AGHHHA!!!! god damit i cant stand to hear this crap!!!! that is total crap!!! you are trying to tell me that the evo tip is bigger than. corvette. GTO. srt4 viper porsha ferarri lamborgini bmw m3, ect ect. the point is this is just total harasment i see all these loud a$$ cars that never get this kind of treatment.

there is a difrence between a good protector of the comunity, and a PIG!!!

fight it
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the helpful feedback =].

But, I looked up the law section number and it says as follows..

Inadequate exhaust system:muffler cutout, straight exhaust or gutted muffler
-Statute: 46.2-1047
-Fine: $30
-Processing Fee: $62
-Total: $92

...yea. so I think I'm going to go and straighten this out at the courthouse lol. The cop was just being an idiot.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by kyuno_evo; Oct 17, 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK805
^Actually no. They're allowed to pull you over for any suspicion that your car is illegally modified. Even if it is a stock muffler, they can't really tell. They're most likely don't know about the Evo car. You basically have to put up with it. Because I bet this wont be the first time it occurs. Fight it on your court date, and get it waived. He'll be proven wrong, but he did nothing wrong in believing its an illegal modification. Now, if you were to come across a cop that DOES know about cars like the Evo, then I'm sure he'll know whether it's illegal or not. Goodluck.
I concur. The police are not going to study every make and model out there. Irritating as it may be, just go to court and prove to them it's stock and move on.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

You gotta try to fight it. Cops are dicks and so are prosecutors. They make the odds against you 99% of the time even if they are wrong...so G/L and f*** the POlice!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CGK
You gotta try to fight it. Cops are dicks and so are prosecutors. They make the odds against you 99% of the time even if they are wrong...so G/L and f*** the POlice!
GL to this guy whenever he actually needs the cops
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA need the cops!!!!! shuure.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

Yeah, I have "needed" the cops exactly 0 times in the past 35 years...I hope the next 35 are the same, lol.

Most cops are a tax burden more than anything...except city cops. I do respect city cops...their job is hard, but a suburban cop is almost as useful as having my dogs in uniform.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

can i get a vote?? on a 1-10 scale how important is it for cops to be waisting his time and our time, by pulling people over for some lousy exhaust ticket. dont be fooled it is pure and simple harasment.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

its bs virginia is tryign to make extra dollars by fining more, chances are if he pulls over 20 ppl that may or maynot have illegal mufflers 5 to 10 may end up paying or missing court dates (me) ..... i get pulled over for bs liek this all the time in va its an easy 100 when they coudl jsut raise the fuel tax by 1c and let every one else share the burden instead ofd harassing the few because they need the extra buck.... and regardless of if you win or they apolagize it still wastes your time .

virginia by the way now has crazy high speeding fines and twice the enforcement. and the only tiem i have ever really needed cops they have failed to do there duty i reported a reckless driver scrapingmy side view running me off the road and the cop was useless... i needed a tow at 3 am in below zero eather no cop stopped when i finaly got some one to pick me up i counted cops sitting on the highway waiting for speeders... i have requested minor assitance from local police and have been informed they are all busy only to go out and find them on the road once agian waiting to catch speeding cars the list goes on

write to your local representative and report the cop to internal affairs make mroe wokr for them why should we be the only ones covering our ***. on a side note they did find a stolen car of mine in a record 2 hours good work but thats one for liek 50 plus incidences

Last edited by LithiumX; Oct 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
There's a good profiling case there, I think. If you're asian, you may be guilty of "driving while asain." Find a nice lawyer either way, and proceed from there.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I got pulled over for speeding not long ago. After the cop got all my info and finalized the ticket, he asked me if I modded my exhaust. As I signed my ticket, I replied no to him and that it came that way when I bought my car. He didnt cite me for the exhaust.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

the cop that pull you over was an a$shole, he just trying to make you loose money/time
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:44 AM

i would file a greivance against the officer... that would teach him from picking on people

I hate virginia cops anyway. bastards hide in the trees and then pull you over for going over by 3-5mph
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

you'll b fine on the exhaust but watch out since VA is hitting ppl w/some high speeding fines (up to $3K!!!).

hey, at least u don't live in Massachusetts where they are trying to ban ANY AND ALL exhaust on cars that is not stock...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyuno_evo
Thanks guys for the helpful feedback =].

But, I looked up the law section number and it says as follows..

Inadequate exhaust system:muffler cutout, straight exhaust or gutted muffler
-Statute: 46.2-1047
-Fine: $30
-Processing Fee: $62
-Total: $92

...yea. so I think I'm going to go and straighten this out at the courthouse lol. The cop was just being an idiot.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Let me tell you something about NoVA cops...

THEY SUCK (Not all of them of course)

I've gotten 4-5 exhaust tickets...but they were all in a certain county

What county did you get yours in because Prince William (where I live) is pretty lenient on exhaust...other counties however are sh1theads