Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is The Stock Muffler Illegal?????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same thing happened to me a couple of months ago, was on Camp Pendleton. I could tell the cop was a dumbass and an Auto-cist none-the-less.

I was like "So you're telling me that, an HKS exhaust that is approved in all 50 states with certificates to prove it, is illega?" and he said yes, then I proceeded to call him retarded
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You got pulled over because of the wing man! j/k 5 over?! lol. probably he saw the muffler that is bigger than on any family sedan.

take a picture of your muffler, and go to the dealer FIND NEW evo and take a picture also, show it to the court.

props to city cops! where they deal with drugs and crime!

Last edited by tweakdsm; Oct 18, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:38 AM

Man I hate cops!!! I get pulled over all the time just cause they want to check my license and bullsh*t just because I look young(I'm 24 years old) and drive a sick a** car. Its total harassment. I have been filing complaints with local PD but they still do it. I wont be speeding or anything.

Last edited by Regenstein; Oct 18, 2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: mis splelling, etc
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh...down here in texas I've only gotten pulled over in the evo once for no front LP. I have a pretty loud (AMS) exhaust with a cat-delete pipe...I'm actually surprised that I've not gotten pulled over for that.

But a stock pipe? C'mon...those aren't loud AT ALL. Probably harassment. I would definitely file a grievance just to harass him back.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Not sure but this is legal somewhere.

now there's a rocket.....
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i will have to agree that some cops a retarded like the ones that follow me every where while in NJ. I was about to pull the cop over one day cause i swear he followed me for like 3 miles while is going to a friends house, i had purposely taken the least direct route thru residential streets to make sure he was following me on purpose. It was ridiculous cause i am pretty sure being followed for that amount of distance at 25mph is harassment.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that cops are a waste of tax money. The cops in my area that ride motorcycles just ride up the side of the road at red lights to make right turns and hardly protect the peace. All they do is patrol for speeders, and everyone knows that if u drive a car like an evo ur gonna b a target, sadly. But there is no way ur gonna get fined, and every court case sets a precident which will make the cops in your area be more cautious about these such misjudgments.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

1) Welcome to VA
2) Welcome to VA
3) It was probably Fairfax County
4) Did I mention welcome to VA?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Lol at this thread. Some people here have serious issues when it comes to police. News flash guys, they're not the boogey man, most are normal people just trying to do their jobs. You can't honestly expect them to know the exhaust diameter of every car out there. The first time I saw an evo in person I was shocked at the size of the muffler, it looks like an aftermarket can. The cop in this case thought it was, and gave you a ticket, big woop. You can get is dismissed easily. He's not profiling, he's following statistics and doing his job. All those people complaining about profiling are hypocrites, you are assuming that because he is a cop, he's a jackass, racist, etc..
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:06 PM

stupid cops with nothing better to do than cause trouble... ..don't they have better things to do with our tax money?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dead-Man Inc
just fight it man ! ..

a cop stopped me for my TBE and asked if i had an aftermarket exhaust , and I said it was a stock exhaust, and he let me go ;] ..
Wow that even happens in the island of bahrain?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hittman
Let me tell you something about NoVA cops...

THEY SUCK (Not all of them of course)

I've gotten 4-5 exhaust tickets...but they were all in a certain county

What county did you get yours in because Prince William (where I live) is pretty lenient on exhaust...other counties however are sh1theads
haha, actually I was on my way to Fairfax area and I got pulled over in Prince William county. =P
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
i will have to agree that some cops a retarded like the ones that follow me every where while in NJ. I was about to pull the cop over one day cause i swear he followed me for like 3 miles while is going to a friends house, i had purposely taken the least direct route thru residential streets to make sure he was following me on purpose. It was ridiculous cause i am pretty sure being followed for that amount of distance at 25mph is harassment.
lol that happens to me once in a while
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:57 PM

its really sad that someone would think that cops are a waste of tax money.... sigh.... i would say something mean like... well i hope when u get robbed you don't call... but i really hope u still would... because even though u think we are a waste of your tax dollars i would still come and rescue you and try to save your life if that need ever arose. Now as for a cop writing a ticket for someone thats going 5 over... well if thats true then im sorry, and i apologize for other cops as well... because thats just stupid. I will give you that there are some police officers that seem to be power hungry... i know these types... and well... theres people like that in all professions of life... so all i can say to the OP is that u just had bad luck that day.... and go to court... win. Don't we have better things to do with your tax money??? yea probably.... writing someone for 5 over is dumb... i usually ticket people if they are going 15 over... and even then i write them for 5 over.... but aren't there other things that upset you about spending tax dollars? like Welfare... especially people who abuse it.... i dont know... cops are like insurance.... but some people do not understand.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

I got the worst: I turned out of a parking lot across the street from where a cop turned out... Accelerated to speed, faster than he did, got in front of him (signaled a full 3 seconds), turned into my neighborhood that was just on the right a little in front of there... He followed me... I went around in a circle because, well, i don't like to go home while anyone is following me... He pulled me over and FREAKED out because I went in a circle. Yeah, officer, sorry that I'm being safe by doing what they told us to do... Then on top of that he tells me some BS about there being a warrant for my plate (which I know there is not, he's just trying to get me for something). Bastard, guess what, just drove off after giving my stuff back... Didn't say sorry or anything just "Nope, not you." I asked who it was since I was the only owner of the plate/car and he said he couldn't tell me.... So if I personally knew someone who had commited murder, he couldn't tell me who it was... WOOT for the US Judicial system (who are the real ones at fault... not the cops, they're just doing their jobs, even if its stupid... except ones like this guy, or the cops who pull over asians for being asian, or kids for being kids)

And I agree with Steexz...and most Cops seem to follow that.. I have yet to be pulled over AND ticketed for going less than 10 over... and even going 80 on the freeway no one seems to care. I have been pulled over, but not ticketed. Probably because I'm not an ******* to the cop when they pull me over. Hell, one pulled a friend and I over because he thought we were racing... We were honest with the cop, and guess what, he let us go, without even looking at our licenses or registration. Like I said, been pulled over plenty, not ticketed much... Show them the same amount of respect you would want, it goes a long way in this world.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Oct 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM.