Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is The Stock Muffler Illegal?????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is The Stock Muffler Illegal?????

Ok, the reason why I ask this dumb question is because a cop pulled me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit (60mph in a 55mph limit), and then tells me that my muffler is over the legal limit . I told him about a hundred times that it was from the factory, and that if he wanted, I would show him some proof that it was legal, and he kept telling me to take it up at the court house........I'm just amazed at how stupid cops can be sometimes...

COPS=

Quick question... what is the legal diameter for a muffler in the state of virginia? ( if anyone knows ) thanks.

::EDIT::
I forgot to mention that he gave me a ticket for speeding 5 miles over, and for the muffler lol.

Last edited by kyuno_evo; Oct 18, 2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

the stock exhaust meets all 50 states emission regulations. so it's not illegal and will be very easy to prove in court.

good luck!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I'm sure it is perfectly legal in Virginia. They would not sell them there if they did not comply with all the laws of the State. Unfortunately, the cop was a moron.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

^^^agreed. you shouldn't have any problems...just a big headache over nothing.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure but this is legal somewhere.

Evolved Member

I didn't know there was a limit on the exhaust diameter. As long as it passes emissions and dB limit, then you should not get any kind of flack for it.

Sounds like a cop being an *******. Fight it and make the cop look stupid. The car is 50 state legal (except Cali might require other exhaust modifications??) so he can't do **** but waste your time.

LOL
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
Account Disabled

It is illegal if you got a high flow cat that makes it above the db limit, or a test pipe or DP with messes with emmissions
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kyuno_evo
Ok, the reason why I ask this dumb question is because a cop pulled me over for going 5 miles over the speed limit (60mph in a 55mph limit), and then tells me that my muffler is over the legal limit . I told him about a hundred times that it was from the factory, and that if he wanted, I would show him some proof that it was legal, and he kept telling me to take it up at the court house........I'm just amazed at how stupid cops can be sometimes...

COPS=

Quick question... what is the legal diameter for a muffler in the state of virginia? ( if anyone knows ) thanks.

Listen to me:

Step one.

Call internal affairs and make a complaint on that officcer, give them the bagde number.

Step two.

Wait at home to receive a sorry/crying like a baby phone call from the offficer or his superior.

You can get that officer into a lot of trouble. That is harrasment with capital letters. He is inacapable of performing his duties, failure to properly assest your car.

Go for it, don't be scare, we need to remove the garbage harrasing officers from the roads.

Carlos
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carlos
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Not sure but this is legal somewhere.

Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I smell bacon........
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

^Actually no. They're allowed to pull you over for any suspicion that your car is illegally modified. Even if it is a stock muffler, they can't really tell. They're most likely don't know about the Evo car. You basically have to put up with it. Because I bet this wont be the first time it occurs. Fight it on your court date, and get it waived. He'll be proven wrong, but he did nothing wrong in believing its an illegal modification. Now, if you were to come across a cop that DOES know about cars like the Evo, then I'm sure he'll know whether it's illegal or not. Goodluck.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK805
^Actually no. They're allowed to pull you over for any suspicion that your car is illegally modified. Even if it is a stock muffler, they can't really tell. They're most likely don't know about the Evo car. You basically have to put up with it. Because I bet this wont be the first time it occurs. Fight it on your court date, and get it waived. He'll be proven wrong, but he did nothing wrong in believing its an illegal modification. Now, if you were to come across a cop that DOES know about cars like the Evo, then I'm sure he'll know whether it's illegal or not. Goodluck.
So cops can be ignorant, but the citizens cannot be ignorant of the law. I would report it no matter what. It is your right, well for now it is your right, they will probably take it away soon.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

It sucks for the OP but it is not really a problem at all, and I don't blame the cop just like people mentioned above.

Our stocker looks fairly aftermarket to 'everyday' people, it has thin sheets for tips and slant cut. Even for highway patrols, there aren't that many cops that can figure out models too well let alone trim level and individual parts. Just like people working at drag strip who must've seen 100s of EVO's but still ask you if your car is a 'Civic' or 'one of them Subaru's'

I got a ticket while driving AP2 in a crowded street during Halloween for 'light motor vehicle noise' or something along that line. They noted the stockers as 'aftermarket exhaust'. Of course I went to the court and it was dropped without a question (after a 30 min wait in line).
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

just fight it man ! ..

a cop stopped me for my TBE and asked if i had an aftermarket exhaust , and I said it was a stock exhaust, and he let me go ;] ..