Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fastest / best Warranty friendly mod combo???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fastest / best Warranty friendly mod combo???

It appears that the "flash" is the best mod for the $, but that will definately void my warranty......

What are the best combo of mods and still have a warranty.

I don't think Mitsu can claim that an intake and Exhaust caused any kind of warranty problem.... ??

Just curious if anyone has some decent Dyno results with bolt-on's??

thanks
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

An ECU re-flash cannot be identified by normal Mitsubishi dealership techs using OBD2 diagnostic tools.They would have to be able to view and understand the code and programming parameters, and this is highly unlikely.

Any other mods will provide a visual indicator of change/modification to the car.Even the most innocent changes that have no bearing on an issue can result in scrutiny over a warranty dispute.

At the end of the day its best to always take the car into the dealership in stock trim if possible.

Here's a list of things that would least likely cause issues.

1) A manual boost controller, or electronic boost controller, and simple velcro-mounted autometer boost gauge and mounting cup that can be quickly disconnected, removed, and returned to factory configuration. Only takes about 30 minutes to remove and restore everything to stock. I have done this many times and it works.

2) An axel-back or cat-back exhaust is a pretty safe bet most of the time. The only issue with turbo cars is the affect on boost adding a freer flowing system may have. Again, if you do an axle-back like pruvens, or the Works exhale pipe, its very simple to remove and re-install the original rear muffler section.

3) Although I don't like the "hot-air" cone filters, this would also be a mod that could be installed and easily removed and restored to factory in short-order.

Just my .02

N10S
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing that under the right (or wrong) circumstances any mod can void your warranty. Don't ever think that if you lose a head gasket and just happen to have a boost controller that the first thing they will blame won't be that boost controller.

If you read the book ANYTHING you modify can void your warranty. Ultimately it depends on what you claim against your warranty and how enlightened your service department is.

I don't plan to mod anything but that's just me. It's a risk no matter what. I'm sur ethey can even find a way to point the finger at a drop in filter if the situation arose so I'm staying stock.

It's fun enough stock for me.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

so what you are saying is if i put 18 in rims and my turbo went out.. that would not be covered under warranty???

please people read up on this issue before you repond.

it has to be proven that the faulty item failure was caused by the modification in question
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TurboZ
so what you are saying is if i put 18 in rims and my turbo went out.. that would not be covered under warranty???

please people read up on this issue before you repond.

it has to be proven that the faulty item failure was caused by the modification in question
I think what he was trying to say was that the dealer will try and associate any mod that you have installed on your vehicle with the cause of the malfunction....within reason. I don't think any dealer can associate wheels and a turbo.....or tint and transmission.

You even have to be careful about alarms. If there's an electrical problem and there is an aftermarket alarm installed.......they will find a way to blame the aftermarket alarm for the problem.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stealerships = lick my ball$

i dont think ive ever had a warranty on any of my cars. After I bought each, I told each dealership they would never see me again. Theyre not getting my oilchange/service/maintenance $$$

I will only take it in, if I bust something and I cant fix it.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

That was what I was saying and I have read up.

You can do whatever you want but I prefer NOT to play warranty roulette. Legislation or otherwise I choose not to go through the hassle and potential legal fees to defend the potential warranty claims even if there is a law. With or without a law you know the finger will be pointed at the mods if you have a failure and you know it will take forever to defend or prosecute such a claim.

NO I don't think tint or wheels will void your warranty...but YES I think on a bad day with an unusual problem and difficult dealership someone could point the finger at plus sized wheels to say that is the cause of your alignment problems or your damaged suspension. They don't want to pay anymore than you do and they have lawyers.

Like I said do what you want. The car is fun enough without mods. It's only a street car for me. I get my racing elsewhere so why would I want to modify what MMC engineers have spent years refining and perfecting. Maybe I can make it faster but I know the ride quality and day-to-day driveability suffers as a result. I'll take an EVO that starts easily and idles normally that I can drive to the factory mechanic if it ever has a problem over the faster EVO that runs great only at high RPM and has to be taken to several different mechanics for out of warranty service.

If I had the time and tools I would do it myslf but I don't. I did the modded car thing years ago and the better it got for racing the worse it got for the street. I'm OK with what the Mitsu engineers created and I don't think I can or want to do it any better.

Do what you want...it's your car and your choice. Either way have fun with it.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

inorder to void warrenty the dealship has to prove that the modded object has caused the problem.....99% of the time changing the air filter system will not void warrenty.....cause u cant really prove that better air flow would damage engine..
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I agree on the air filter (even though that does still leave 1% chance). I didn't do a K&N drop-in because of the MAS issues it causes and the fact that it makes little difference over stock, and may actually be worse.

The dealership only has to say no and tell you to pay. After that laws or no laws, proof or no proof it becomes a huge hassle and even if I did win I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to go back...I'm also in no hurry to drive 50 minutes to the next closest dealership.

Listen I understand the warranty-stress, warranty-sensitivity and the defensiveness of those that have done mods. Like I said I've been there. I hope your mods don't void the warranty but for me hope won't pay the bills and I don't want to be strssed out every time I go for service.

I'm sure the car is fun with go-fast goodies on it. Like I said...either way enjoy the car.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

ok for one MMC engineers havent spent any time perfecting this car, RALLI ART has, but then again RALLI ART really only spent most of that time on the WRC EVO which is a highly modified EVO
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:02 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

I found out first hand with Subaru of America that they can and will pull all kinds of crap to get out of warranty work. One guy had his transmission warranty work refused because they said his tires looked worn so he must have raced it which is abuse. His options were to pay out of pocket and hope they pay him back later in court or fight them and find something else to drive while they make him wait. I had issues with CELs, rear wheel bearings and ****ty stock paint that included primer in the engine bay and trunk which they claimed met their standards for a paint job. So they helped me decide not to buy an STI as my next car.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

i think most dealerships suck. i had a radiator leak on the galant and they could never find it(however i did) and so becasue tehy never wanted to replace teh freaking radiator.. they ended up having to replace teh whole tranny(cooler busted inside) oh well. when you try to help some one out sometimes they just gotta learn the hard way. and as far as mods. i had the same problem on a malibu. had put 17s and a tie rod waas loose.. teh oil change guy could see i was right.. but the mechanic said it was normal or they would have to mic it.. did they of course not.. they did not hav ethe proper tools. did they replace it.. yes
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Who do you think Ralliart is? Ralliart is MMC...Go back a few years and see what the WRC Evo was compared to the US Evo 8...I think you'd be surprised how much has translated from the race car to the road car.

Thanks N/A...exactly my point. Legal or otherwise they can and will make it miserable...again stock for me.

I think dealerships are a conglomeration of good an bad people. Ultimately money make stheir world go around so yes they will do whatever they can to walk the fine line between I want you to buy your next car here and I don't want to pay for your new head gasket after you tried to run 23 pounds of boost.

I will admit that since I get to play with a different car on the track I feel less need to mod-out my EVO. But again I did learn with my RX-7. It was fun to mod and really fast and fun to drive but the better it got on the track the worse it was on the street. At some point it became impractical to drive and REALLY impractical to service or repair. I mad the choice then to seperate a street car from a track car...but I am lucky and I know others can't do that.

Mod away as long as you know what the consequences may be...