Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FPgreen or Full Race 30R twinscroll or other?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FPgreen or Full Race 30R twinscroll or other?

I've done some searches and have some mixed results so I'm going to ask and hope that I get some reliable answers from those that have experience with these turbos.

I have a 2006 IX SE with no current mods. I am going to sell my 93 Supra TT and use the money to mod my Evo. Here are my goals for my Evo:

It will be a daily driver.
Drag strip-not that often, just for laughs, not looking for a serious drag car
Auto X, Solo II-this is where I want the car to shine (quick spool up needed)
WHP-goal is 500
1/4 mile times-high 10's (I know I said not a serious drag car but it would be nice if it could see these kind of numbers on a good set of tires.

I know that some of these goals may not mesh (1/4 mile times/hp/and quick spool up?) but it would be great if they did. With the money I make on the Toyota, I should be able to do all supporting mods necessary for either turbo set-up, so please do not take this in consideration in your replies. I do plan on having the engine/transmission built up by BR (will keep the engine 2.0).

I keep seeing great results from people on the Green but I wonder how the Full Race 30R twinscroll kit would compare. I know that Full Race makes a great product. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this is your 3rd thread on this!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

lol i was gonna say i thought i posted in here but i dont see it. lol
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

It seems the green has proven itself on here with alot of people both for daily driven and strip.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
If the money isn't a big issue, go with the FR TS 3076. The Green can not match the performance and if you ever want to upgrade to a bigger turbo, you only have to change the turbo.

If you're certain that you'll be happy with low 11s, the Green is a great option and will save you a bunch of money. A full weight car with the Green won't run 10s without some amazing driving skill, but it would be a great option just the same.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies here.

I mistakenly started this in the advanced engine/tubo section and asked the moderators to delete it. I moved it to the regular engine/turbo/drivetrain section but also posted it here to catch anyone not looking at those sections.

The longest thread seems to be in the engine/turbo/drivetrain section but I appreciate the replies I have recieved in all the sections.

Daily driver and auto X are the main considerations. I just don't want it to be a slouch at the stoplights. I will want separate maps for pump vs. race, and I am seriously considering water/methanol injection.

I do plan on buying wheels/tires strictly for auto x and keeping the stock rims for daily driving. I also plan on upgrading to coilovers and I know that I should not go cheap if I plan on auto x (maybe Ohlins?). I would like to stick with 2.0 L though I know that BR can build a great 2.3L stroker if I decided to look at that.

Is anyone running a Full Race 30r twinscroll setup and how would you compare the spool up to stock and the FP green, if you have driven both?

The Supra is an automatic and has 104,000 miles. It has 351 rwhp and runs very well. It can't get the kids anywhere comfortably and would take at least another $15,000 to get to the next level (Boost Logic built tranny, fuel system upgrade, AEM ems, single turbo upgrade). I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a car that can't do the things I need to do on a daily basis. And though power and 1/4 mile times are the forte of the Supra, there is no comparison at all to the Evo in the corners. A built Evo would destroy the Supra at a track that had any decent twisties in it. Though the Evo makes me smile off the line, I get the biggest kicks out of it in the corners. With the money I make off of selling the Supra, I can have a well built Evo.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor

i would either go green or 35r.....nothing is worth while in between the two turbos...call up buschur racing, i am almost positive they will say the same...
Since you plan on building the engine/tranny it would be a waste on a smaller turbo...35r, rev to 9k+ and you will be happy.

Last edited by DG Motors; Oct 18, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by evo8604
i would either go green or 35r.....nothing is worth while in between the two turbos...call up buschur racing, i am almost positive they will say the same...
Since you plan on building the engine/tranny it would be a waste on a smaller turbo...35r, rev to 9k+ and you will be happy.
The 3076 splits the difference between the 35R and Green. I'm not sure why people on here don't seem to understand that not everyone wants a 35. There's a 50 hp difference between the Green and the 3076. They are not the same.

And of course Buschur wouldn't recommend a 3076. He thinks it's a turd. However, there are a bunch of very successful shops that would disagree. Ask anyone that owns a twin scroll 3076 what they think of the turbo. There are some very happy 3076 owners on EVOm.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Not true, The Twin Scroll 30R is showing some good power and times so far!

Someone just ran an 11.2 with like 25psi..on the TS 30r
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:21 PM

I personally run the green on my car and love it. It is a daily driver and spool up is so close to stock I can't even notice the additional lag. For your goal of 500+ whp it may be a bit of a stretch, though for daily driving and auto x I think this would be a good choice. If you are planning on getting your motor/trans built I would probably go all out on the turbo kit as well.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 04:38 AM

that would be a great choice IMO
Old Oct 19, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

If your main interested is autocross, I'd go with the green. Give up the 500whp and 10's. You dont want any lag when auto crossing or your going to have to left foot brake to keep spool up. I dont see many cars over 450whp auto-xing. Be happy with that concentrate on susp. and driver mod to be successful.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
Account Disabled

i disagree that there is nothing worthwhile in between the FPgreen and 35R -- here is a dyno comparison of our old 30R (singlescroll) vs a WELL KNOWN competitors 35R (singlescroll) kit on an evo9. This is a time attack car, i think the powerband speaks for itself

power

torque

boost

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Oct 19, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
is that less than 500 rpm difference in spool?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I know that Dave at BR does not like the twinscroll setup for the Evo and he definately knows what he is doing on the cars that he, Dan, and the rest of them build. But the logic of quick spool with a twinscroll and the quality that Full Race builds into their headers can't be argued with.
The guys at Alternative Motorsports, which is mostly a Honda/Acura shop, swear by Full Race products. The owner, Chuck, had the fastest import in Oklahoma and the quickest Honda in the world up to this year (I think the 1/4 mile times were in the low 8's). I know that the Evo is no Honda but the quality of the Full Race product would be the same and I would have to think that the logic of twinscroll boosting quicker than singlescroll would cross over to the Evo realm.
The track record of the FP green stands for itself but I think that I would be able to coax more power out of the Full Race setup and hopefully the spool up would be comparable to the green. If anyone can show a head to head comparison between the green and a 30r twinscroll with most other factors being the same, it would sure help my decision making process. I know that it may be hard to find a comparison like this with all other factors being equal, but it is worth a try.

Thanks again.

Last edited by jmsrx; Oct 19, 2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling goofs