Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Headers glowing bright red!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try advancing the gears a tad, see if that'll help.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
Are exhaust gases that hot, as his are, any risk to the turbo?
No. Heat is the key source of energy that spins your turbo. Its not too bad for the turbo, it was designed to withstand it. Minutes of abuse is not bad, a 24 hour race with a glowing turbine housing you can kiss that turbo goodbye.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dcshoeco
Im sure my timing is off. Ive ben trying to set it myself but cant seem to get it dialed in. I have Skunk 2 timing gears so it makes it a little easier. It does shoot flames out of the exhaust, red ones. The header glows like the one in the picture but it is cast and after only a few miles of driving. Would a bad turbo or wastegate cause this???? Need to find a good shop in Grand Rapids Michigan but cant seem to find any that know anything about evo's.
I work in GR, try:

http://www.ayaracing.com/index.html

They are located just off of 28th and Ivanrest.

There are a couple shops in nearby Holland that could take care of you also.

Also try your luck on: http://www.mievo.net/

Michigan's evo forum. There are a few guys that might be able to help you this weekend.

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO

oh yeahhh that what i am talking about ,,, hes been going at it
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Now for a man after my own heart! ... http://youtube.com/watch?v=km2DT8CbkIo
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. Got ahold of AYA Racing and they say they know evos. Ive ben told that by other places too that couldnt help so we will see on Monday.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Im not sure WHY so many of you think it is "normal" for an exhaust manifold to be glowing. It can happen under certain circumstances, but its not very healthy (for a street car) for the well being of the engine, turbo or associated hardware containing the heat. It doesn't matter if its tubular , cast , ss or whatever other homegrown theory seems to be lurking around.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DTM
Im not sure WHY so many of you think it is "normal" for an exhaust manifold to be glowing. It can happen under certain circumstances, but its not very healthy (for a street car) for the well being of the engine, turbo or associated hardware containing the heat. It doesn't matter if its tubular , cast , ss or whatever other homegrown theory seems to be lurking around.
agreed
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

this is far from normal no matter what anyone says. u should not be glowing red after daily driving. not at all.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you must be relatively new to turbo cars. Guess you never had a DSM either. Cast iron is going to glow when subjected to EGT temps of 700-800C temps for an extended period of time, which is the temp you will see if you are doing daily driving at at 60+mph.

Go jump on the highway for about 10 minutes, cruise at 60+mph and then pull over and pop the hood. If it is dark outside you will see the manifold glowing.

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
this is far from normal no matter what anyone says. u should not be glowing red after daily driving. not at all.

Last edited by KFC-AWD; Oct 22, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by KFC-AWD
you must be relatively new to turbo cars. Guess you never had a DSM either. Cast iron is going to glow when subjected to EGT temps of 700-800C temps for an extended period of time, which is the temp you will see if you are doing daily driving at at 60+mph.

Go jump on the highway for about 10 minutes, cruise at 60+mph and then pull over and pop the hood. If it is dark outside you will see the manifold glowing.
+1.

DSM owners know what the **** they're talking about. You guys need to get a clue. This is perfectly normal. To the OP though... if you're fooling around with cam timing and you have no clue what 'degreeing a cam' means... STOP and put it back to 0. you're going to **** **** up royally.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of DSM's, mine used to shoot blue flames out of the dump tube that could be seen at night. Of course I'd never see them myself since I was in the car, but all of my friends always talked about it.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KFC-AWD

NEW TO TURBO CARS???????? nope sorry im not. and no, none of the three turbo manifolds on my evo have ever glown red for any amount of time i have ever driven my car. never ever. i have driven to raceway park countless number of times, non stop and when i get there, i have opened the hood and still nothing. i have had the stocker, a megan and now the full race.

glowing red is something that should only happen when really beating on the car for a good amount of time.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
NEW TO TURBO CARS???????? nope sorry im not. and no, none of the three turbo manifolds on my evo have ever glown red for any amount of time i have ever driven my car. never ever. i have driven to raceway park countless number of times, non stop and when i get there, i have opened the hood and still nothing. i have had the stocker, a megan and now the full race.

glowing red is something that should only happen when really beating on the car for a good amount of time.

the fact that your profile says you're a mechanical engineer is frightening to me....
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:40 AM

if you didn't adjust your timing in your map and it's glowing just from drivng and must feel down on power? I would check the cam angle wheel on the back of the exh. cam to make sure it's positioned right and check that the mech. timing is on. I've seen this problem on someones evo before

Quick Reply: Headers glowing bright red!!!