Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Headers glowing bright red!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeymike
so because you have a vent in your hood the 4g63 is a "different beast all together" now? good one genius. what other turbo cars have you had?
first off the Evo has a completely different front end than any older DSM. its a lot more open for better air flow. with that and the hood vent, that disperses a ton of heat so the end result is a cooler engine bay.

and im not on this damn forum to fight with nincompoops like yourself, so please stop responding to my posts if u have nothing but negative things to say.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mikeymike
so because you have a vent in your hood the 4g63 is a "different beast all together" now? good one genius. what other turbo cars have you had?
What is your deal? The amount of convective cooling happening in an evo is indeed a different beast all together compared to that of most other cars, yours included. Adding a tiny slit in the fins of an intercooler core can allow for SIGNIFICANTLY better heat exchange. Air flow is to convection as wet is to water. How many turbo cars come stock with big hood vents? How many turbo cars should one own before they can boast of their infinite turbo intelligence on a forum?? The whole discussion is about whether or not you can see your mani glow after driving. Yes, you can in certain circumstances.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DougoeFre5h
What is your deal? The amount of convective cooling happening in an evo is indeed a different beast all together compared to that of most other cars, yours included. Adding a tiny slit in the fins of an intercooler core can allow for SIGNIFICANTLY better heat exchange. Air flow is to convection as wet is to water. How many turbo cars come stock with big hood vents? How many turbo cars should one own before they can boast of their infinite turbo intelligence on a forum?? The whole discussion is about whether or not you can see your mani glow after driving. Yes, you can in certain circumstances.
adding slits in the fins of an intercooler core is called increasing surface area not increasing airflow... those detents or slits increase the total surface area of the fins which increases cooling... the manifold glows during DAILY DRIVING SITUATIONS end of story... he was disputing that as ABNORMAL. he is wrong.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:41 PM

lol, i got referred to this post through a friend, and its amazing.

"New to turbo cars? not quite buddy"
"your H3ad3rz should never glow"
"you need a new header and some guages to keep an eye on that"

bwahahahhahahahah

its just suprising that this forum doesnt seem to police ignorant posters.

your headers are glowing because your boost coolant is running low. you need to look under the h3aD3r at j00r turbo retaining .dfidfifsd..... heck, i cant even do it.

turbo car's "MANIFOLDS" glow, its normal, anyone who has ever worked on one, or any slightly intellegent person who has owned one will know this.

you dont need to contact super l337 tunerz shopz to ask about it.
bone stock turbo cars, with bone stock boost produce temps excess of 1600 deg f. on daily basis.

Read about it. dont trust the word of newbs, who jumped into an evo from a cavalier.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:46 PM

hahaha convection? are you baking cookies.

So what if the evo has a different front end, with hood vents and crap, does that make the temperature of the exhaust gases lower? no, that would cool the "surfaces" where it would be more efficient than an older dsm, the idea is still the same, sure at 60mph there is plenty of air blowing all over that manifold, to keep its surface cooler, but who cars? your not going 60 up your driveway, or going 60 into your garage, ect.

the temperatures inside that manifold, and the inner material of that manifold is still going to be that same HOT metal glowing temperatures, and take away all that extra air flow you like to comment on, the heat will quickly transfer back to the outer surface.

Last edited by LordPaxin; Oct 29, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Here is mine after a 4th gear pull on a dyno. Its normal after that abuse but not after just driving it around.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mis4tun81

And truthfully, does anyone other than me specifically pop their hood just to see the turbo glow?
i do! i do! after a 15 mile run at an average speed of no less than 120 and hitting the speed limiter i took a peak and i could see the glow, this was at night though.

but you have to consider the turbo will get alot hotter than the manifold.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

glowing can be normal but you should grab an egt gauge just to make sure your safe.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo L
glowing can be normal but you should grab an egt gauge just to make sure your safe.
FAIL.

Scorke
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo2wIsh4
Here is mine after a 4th gear pull on a dyno. Its normal after that abuse but not after just driving it around.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice, responsible dyno operator....

Scorke
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:34 PM

it is normal "after just driving it around"

unless you are the only person with an evo who doesnt boost unless your feeling rowdy.