Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transfer case noise/problem opinion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case noise/problem opinion

My Evo is an '03. I had a local mechanic install an RRE LSD and replace the 3-4 synchro late in 2006. There was no gear noise prior to the work.

When I got the car back, on deacceleration against compression, it made (and makes) a noise that I describe as a bell being cut with a buzz saw. The sound is loud when slowing down from 45-50mph in fourth against compression, lesser at lower rpm and slowing force. I believe the noise is gradually getting louder.

You may wonder why I didn't take it back to the mechanic immediately. I tried, but he was ducking me. Soon afterwards I was away for a couple of months and have been very busy since. I still try and reach him hit and miss, but no luck.

There are no new sounds on acceleration. The car is a daily driver that I track several times a year, plus one hillclimb, so I exercise it through most conditions.

When I read about transfer case problems on EvoNet, the noise is usually described as a whine. Questions:
Does it occur on acceleration?
Slowing against compression?
Both?
Has anyone experienced the hollow, almost ringing noise slowing on compression, but no unusual noise on acceleration?
If you have had the symptom described in the last question, how did you solve the problem?

Thanks for the help,

Steve Moe
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my TC also made noise under deccel only, I had it replaced under warranty (those were the days), but was told using Redline Heavy Shockproof oil would also have helped with this problem.