Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gps?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gps?

I need a good GPS, i looked at some, but i would like some insight from people who have one, which one would you recommend?
Garmin, MIO, tom-tom or maybe some other one?

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Arkow
I need a good GPS, i looked at some, but i would like some insight from people who have one, which one would you recommend?
Garmin, MIO, tom-tom or maybe some other one?

Thanks a lot
Depends on what you want. Do you want a portable one or an in-dash gps? And the functions, purely GPS or dvd/mp3 player?

~Chug
Old Oct 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

I use a garmin interface with my Kenwood head unit. The maps are suprisingly detailed considering the rural areas I have been in. with my unit I have traveled from AZ to Wisconsin, and then down to Cape Canaveral, FL. In all cases the unit has been extremely acurate. only twice did it lead me wrong, and those were both in cases where there was a huge freeway project that altered the roadway recently.

What I am amazed with is how it has "learned" my driving style, and has updated the ETA interface. Meaning if it says I will arrive at a certain time, I get there within a minute or two. Even though I drive WELL above the posted speed limits, it still predicts my arrival time nearly spot on regardless of the distance.

I have a Kenwood touch screen with a garmin/kenwood nav unit, and I have used many others, this is by far the best.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

If you want a portable unit look at the Garmins,if you want a built in go with the pioneer Avic series cant really beat them for the money.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:31 PM
BPU

I say garmin, personally the garmin spc 340, you get the text to speech and that system is pretty basic. Compared to the tom tom, there is a unit that they have out which displays the building numbers for city/downtown use. So it's eaiser to locate a buildings that are nexto to eachother. Check it out. But i would recommend garmin. they are easy to use.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Get a TOM tom. The interface/software is the easiest to use, and it tells you that your off route and how to get back.

The people I know with the Garmin are mixed about their feelings about it (some like it others don't). While everyone I met with a Tom tom love it.

Edit: Just gets what's on sale at a good price. They all perform well.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Portable....Clarion N.I.C.E awesome unit and also has a hard drive to store music/videos. Also has capability to hook up iPod i believe...

In-dash....Alpine has a very good nav unit. Not to hard the wallet either.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

i bought a tomtom, returned it, got a garmin, returned it, and settled with a TOMTOM... they're all simple to use but i like the TOMTOM better.. the TOMTOM tells u what street ur travelling on but the garmin doesnt and it's more laggy..
well they both have pros and cons... and i like tomtom's pros more than garmin's pros...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a Garmin Nuvi 660, bought it on Ebay (brand new) for a couple hundred less than they go for in the stores. It was the best for me, I looked at TomTom's and thought the Garmin was just a nicer piece.
Works awesome, bluetooth, huge display, touch screen, traffic warnings, it's got it all...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe Garmin and Magellan both come with a single map update and the TomTom doesn't. TomTom also contracts out their maps and they aren't updated as often I've heard, where as Garmin builds their own maps.

that said, I own a TomTom One and I love it. I just wish the maps were a little more up-to-date. But, the places it doesn't have also aren't on Google Maps. Another thing, be wary of the "Shortest Distance" option ... it took me 13 miles down a dirt "highway."
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I had the Kenwood 617 pop out HU & nav, it just ROCKS! Very accurate, you can watch DVD's, sounds better then stock.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:26 AM

as long as you go garmin or tom tom you'll be fine. you can do the simple base models they will be just fine unless you want bluetooth connection with your phone or if you want traffic updates. also the more expensive units that do that also offer speaking the street name that your turning on to wich helps in comfusing intersections. in the case of wanting traffic updates id go with the garmin its cheeper you buy an antena for traffic or you buy a model that offers it and pay a life time fee while the tom tom is a monthly service and works through the internet from a bluetooth connection with your phone which can cause charges on your phone
if you should want a in dash gps i would recomend kenwood or pioneer possibly alpine too if they ever start selling the blackbird 2(there stand alone gps)
kenwood is nice because they out source there gps through garmin so it will be kenwood with garmin gps
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Check this Out I got the MIO DIGIWALKER from radioshack for my evo last week and dude if you dont check this gps all out, when you see it your going to be sorry..

Educated GPS Buyer.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itami00
kenwood is nice because they out source there gps through garmin so it will be kenwood with garmin gps
How true, I forgot about that, they also have downloadable map updates. You can add XM radio to it, & a TMC box for traffic updates.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I am looking for a model that would give me live traffic updates, is garmin a better choice because you only pay one time fee?

Quick Reply: Gps?