Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

shift light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will post tomorrow after work.....don't want to wake the wife and kids by revving the car in the garage just to get a picture (lowest light setting is 3500 rpm)

Matt
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:23 PM

yea i was serious, it makes a noise similar to boost gauge when your maxxing it. just a nice beep and you know to shift no need to look.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Oct 25, 2007, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
YES, you can do it, YES it is easy, YES you can see a bright yellow LED without looking down.

There are a least 2 blanks behind the lancer face where bulbs are not used on the US model.

I have had a LED there for some time and have used it on the track during the day without looking down at the tac.

If you want I can snap a picture and post it tomorrow.

Matt

yeah definitely need some pics and hints thank you
Old Oct 25, 2007, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

does it matter what kind a shift light ? or what size could possibly fit in there? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PURE-...spagenameZWDVW ? would this one work? 35mm = 1.378 inch
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing that fits there without eliminating any of the functions/lights behind that is a small LED.....the board is about an inch away from the face and does not allow room for a standard or pencil shift light.

After work I will snap some pictures.......maybe even pull the cluster to show you the back side

Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; Oct 25, 2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calilancer02
yea i was serious, it makes a noise similar to boost gauge when your maxxing it. just a nice beep and you know to shift no need to look.
Only problem i have with that is i often end up running against cars w/ big block, hi-comp, un-capped headers at our track and can hardly hear my exhaust let alone a little electronic noise w/ my helmet on

Besides that your reaction from vision is much better than sound.....i need a light

Dropspeed care to tell us exactly how to get access to that area and install the light.....hint...hint write-up please

Thanks and i'll be waiting for a pic my friend
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, I will do a quik write-up with pictures tonight.....

I also dissagree with the "beep". I had the HKS TT with Shift indicator "Beep" and at the roadcourse with the windows down I could never hear it.

FYI: The shift light I have is list on this page (IND1) and is attached to a R920

http://www.brockwayengineering.com/accessories.html

At this time Brockway is introducing all new items, so the items on the site have all be disscontinued.

Stay tuned

Matt
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I will do a quik write-up with pictures tonight.....

I also dissagree with the "beep". I had the HKS TT with Shift indicator "Beep" and at the roadcourse with the windows down I could never hear it.

FYI: The shift light I have is list on this page (IND1) and is attached to a R920

http://www.brockwayengineering.com/accessories.html

At this time Brockway is introducing all new items, so the items on the site have all be disscontinued.

Stay tuned

Matt

what do u do with that light ?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:30 PM

Hey Pat, i told you its possible. It's not that hard to take that cluster apart and fit in a shift light. Let me find a shift light that i used on my other cluster. If you want I'll put one in for you, once i figure out which one i used before.

Dropspeed what kind of shift light did you use? For SL3 LED don't you need to buy a control box? I want to see your write up too.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for pics.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:48 PM

Well i just found the one that i used some time back and it was nice and small, but once it was inside the dash it was hard to change shift RPM. Probably the cheapest and most functional light you can get right now:

http://harlan-engineering.com/store/...hiftlight.html

Sorry guys i don't have pic of this in EVO, because this one was in my Civic.

I decided to look around and found what else could be useful. Next two is really nice, but seems like one you can buy in Australia and other one in England. Both are very nice setups and cheap and easy to use. Could be easily put inside the cluster for factory look.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2096

http://www.cordona.net/evili_shiftlight.htm

Next one i thought would be OK to use, but needs to be taken apart because it wouldn't fit completely. But could be used.

http://www.cycleoneoff.com/CBR.html

Dropspeed i still would like to see which shift light you used and pic would be nice.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Here some quick pictures in the garage. Write up will have to wait.

Yes, it is only a LED that needs some sort of control box.....I use the Brockway R920.......any unit that allows for a light can use an LED.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails shift light-shift-light-001.jpg   shift light-shift-light-002.jpg   shift light-shift-light-004.jpg   shift light-shift-light-005.jpg  
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Here some quick pictures in the garage. Write up will have to wait.

Yes, it is only a LED that needs some sort of control box.....I use the Brockway R920.......any unit that allows for a light can use an LED.

Matt
yeah it looks good but i was thinking about removing the lancer sign and the seat belt light and putting like 5 or 6 leds in there
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

That does look good... must be a B**** to install eh... I hope the write up is nice and easy to follow... Also, where can I find an AUDIO shift beeper (no light), or does yours beep as well as it lights up?

Quick Reply: shift light