Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
Comfort-wise, just think of it this way: you'll be trading squishy blue Subaru seats for black alcantara Recaros.

I will say, though, that the STi's instrument cluster OWNS the Evo's, but I still wouldn't trade my car for one in a million years. It sounds like you've made up your mind already, but here's some more fuel for the fire: turboback, drop-in, MBC and flash get you nearly 350 whp with the IX on pump gas.
you are sooo correct.... i ahve been trying to find a way to get the STI cluster in my car for over a year now lol. I guess it would be wire tracing as well as getting the STI logo to light up EVO
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your not sure about the specific car, one thing i did was talk to the people at the local Mitsu dealership, and tell them that your interested in getting an evo. I told them about a few evo's at some other dealerships and the prices and what was done to them already. I test drove the other evo's and drove them down to the Mitsu dealership and they looked at the evo's and we did carfax's on them and everything. I ended up getting my Evo IX MR just because its rare down here in Central Florida, and i just felt like getting one that didn't have anything done to it, so I could do all the mods myself. The other evo's were fine, it was just a personal preference on which one.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Can't really comment on modified Evo's vs. modified STI's, but I did own an 05 STI with COBB Accessport and COBB intake. I now own a stock Evo IX (looking to modify soon).
Differences stock:
STI = more torque down low, easier to pass from lower RPM's on the highway.
Evo = turbo comes on very strong when it finally kicks in, more like a sledge hammer vs. the STI's turbo.
Evo = the STI was no slouch, but the Evo is much, much, much, much (did I say much?) better in the twisties. If by track you mean auto X vs. dragstrip, then the Evo is the much better option.
Evo = engine bay is much cleaner and easier to work on.

Why did I get rid of my STI? Wanted to go much higher horsepower. Bought a 93 Supra Twin Turbo with bolt on mods (BPU+++++).
Why did I buy an Evo? Missed the AWD and loved the handling. I am now selling my Supra to be able to mod my Evo. Built Evo destroys Built Supra on a real race track any day, and for much less $$ to modify.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigric09
you are sooo correct.... i ahve been trying to find a way to get the STI cluster in my car for over a year now lol. I guess it would be wire tracing as well as getting the STI logo to light up EVO
Let me know if you ever figure it out.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i had the sti cluster to play with, i will, i swear it. A buddy of mine just totaled his, lol, so i may be robbing her.... man that thing would look good with my Defi's
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

You stated it all man.... If you love both cars equally, then its just a matter of preference. If you going for heavy modifications and want to save $$ then go for the evo. Not loosing anything but gaining. Ups and downs to both equally well-rounded cars.. I say go for the Evo. Change is good. This way you can say you experience both worlds and worst comes to worst, you just get another StI if u dread the evo.

~Chug
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jmsrx
Can't really comment on modified Evo's vs. modified STI's, but I did own an 05 STI with COBB Accessport and COBB intake. I now own a stock Evo IX (looking to modify soon).
Differences stock:
STI = more torque down low, easier to pass from lower RPM's on the highway.
Evo = turbo comes on very strong when it finally kicks in, more like a sledge hammer vs. the STI's turbo.
Evo = the STI was no slouch, but the Evo is much, much, much, much (did I say much?) better in the twisties. If by track you mean auto X vs. dragstrip, then the Evo is the much better option.
Evo = engine bay is much cleaner and easier to work on.

Why did I get rid of my STI? Wanted to go much higher horsepower. Bought a 93 Supra Twin Turbo with bolt on mods (BPU+++++).
Why did I buy an Evo? Missed the AWD and loved the handling. I am now selling my Supra to be able to mod my Evo. Built Evo destroys Built Supra on a real race track any day, and for much less $$ to modify.

Hope this helps.

Thanks jmsrx, def important to get the opinion of other sti owners who've gone to evo. So you like your evo in daily driving over the sti?

Originally Posted by chuggychug
You stated it all man.... If you love both cars equally, then its just a matter of preference. If you going for heavy modifications and want to save $$ then go for the evo. Not loosing anything but gaining. Ups and downs to both equally well-rounded cars.. I say go for the Evo. Change is good. This way you can say you experience both worlds and worst comes to worst, you just get another StI if u dread the evo.

~Chug

Very tru, I do plan on doing heavy mods. Right now i'm thinkin the evo is better suited to my plans, but theres just somthing about my STi that i can't quantify that makes me love it...but i'm sure you guys are the same way with your evo's.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

For daily driving it can be a toss up.
Once again, the STI had more low end torque but the Evo is so much better in the corners that I would go Evo as a daily driver (and you can always make more torque with mods). I love doing on and off ramps at many times the posted speed limit.

Good Luck
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

when was the last time the STI won against an evo???

happy hunting in your new evo.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

All you need to do is drive an Evo once. You'll be convinced...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you live in NJ, they still have plenty of Evo MR SEs at the Maywood Mitsubishi Dealer on route 17
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:45 PM

looks like you'll end up keeping your sti. you will get to the same point with an evo if you mod it just like you did your sti. then you will say to yourself "should i waste the money on a bigger turbo or not to"

realistically, if you want reliability you wont do anything much bast bolt ons.. for any car that is. If you want to hit 11's reliably, you need a bigger turbo, which is where your money costs is.. Its the same for STI's and EVO's. SO it probably isn't worth your time trying to sell your STI just to be on the same path when you get your "used" evo. Sounds like you have a realiable trusthworthy car already, keep it
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:50 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Please, keep your STi. If you sell it and get an evo, that's one less STi out there that I can laugh at and walk away from when they try and start shiz with me!

Seriously though, Evo hands down. Love the car.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

keep the sti
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to the op, my friend, henry, is going through the same thing with his 05 sti.... good luck with it

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy EVO, and sell my STi...